Home Cigar 101

Great Video for New Smokers

ScotchnSmokeScotchnSmoke Posts: 134
Hey everyone. I came across this video recently and found it to be one of the best cut and light tutorials I have seen so far. What are your thoughts? Honestly, I have been smoking for a decade now and never knew about the band removal. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvzAeOb1ytY&t=199s

I'd love to hear your thoughts. 

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't completely agree with not removing the band.  Granted, you don't know if it was properly applied until you take it off and some wrapper comes with it, but I prefer a naked cigar and would much rather fondle the texture of the tobacco than a slick/shiny paper band.  I've only been smoking for 5 years but it seems to me that increasingly, manufacturers are paying attention to the bands, how they are attached and very few will come off wrong nowadays.

That said, I've seen this video before and agree with his theory on lighting a cigar, charring the wrapper/binder first.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great method, welcome to the forum @Scotch_n_Smoke.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good video, thanks for posting @Scotch_n_Smoke

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally good information, especially for a new smoker. However,......... In my not-so-humble opinion, I say he scorched the wrapper. It's evident by the video that he went too far up the side of the wrapper on one side. And it's all because he shoots the flame at the cigar practically broadside, and tries to toast the wrapper on the outside edge of the cigar nearest to the flame. I think his angle of fire should be coming across the foot and approach the wrapper's edge from the underside. He's got the right idea about toasting but he just barely got started tasting. And the flames? There need be no flames. Flames bursting out of the foot means ya' done gone too far. There are no flames when you're smoking that cigar the rest of the way, and there's no need for violent combustion in the beginning either.  
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As @Bob_Luken said, it’s generally good information and I wish I had seen it back when I still had two good eyes. With only one, however, this method is practically useless. It doesn’t work for sour owl poop if your depth perception is non-existent. 

Even Wiley Post’s method of moving his head sideways, back and forth doesn’t work. Been there, done that. Got scorched fingers to prove it. 

I’ll just keep scorching the cigar instead and live with some less than perfect flavor. Life’s a ****.....  👴🏻
    edited January 2020
    With larger bands, smoking down to within a small amount of the band may not be enough to melt all the glue and free the band so you may be stuck cutting or peeling the band off from the seam. Luckily the New World Cameroon band peels off pretty easily.

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While it may be a good video and good information, a person needs to find what works best for them. 
    What works for me, doesn't always work for someone else.

Some people don't toast the foot. Some just light it up.
    There is no "set in stone" way to smoke cigars. 
    Smoke it the way you want and don't worry what is acceptable. 
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    I think few people will adopt the full, intimate, cigar prep routine of our @Bob_Luken.

• EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just realized I think I posted this video, on this forum, a month after @Scotch_n_Smoke , in a different discussion...

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes you did. That's okay, most of us forgive you :D

Don't look ↑
  • ScotchnSmokeScotchnSmoke Posts: 134

I realize there will always be many ways to do something, but I did find this way to work best for me. Thanks for all of the great feedback on my first post gentlemen.