Home Cigar 101

Smoke Production

BadSneakersBadSneakers Posts: 156 ✭✭✭✭

Total newb question, I know. Anyhow, I've noticed some cigars produce much more smoke than others. Is this due to the type of binder/filler used? The way it's rolled? I'm just curious cause I like to know how things work. Thanks!

It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating. - Jack Handey 

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's purely combustion rate. The variables would be airflow and materials. I suppose a larger ring gauge has more potential. And I suppose tobacco with more oils will make more smoke than tobacco with less oils.

I like a lot of smoke from my cigar. But, am I a hypocrite if I don't like a smoky room?

• EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like a lot of smoke as well... drew estate in my experience are crazy good with smoke production .. padron Hermoso is an explosion ... which is why I love those guys... the real question is which cigar is so good even if it has lack luster smoke?

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel some Drew Estate cigars are all smoke and no flavor. You can see our favorite cigars of 2019 here: https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/900625/2019-ccom-forums-cigar-of-the-year-results

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    I feel some Drew Estate cigars are all smoke and no flavor. You can see our favorite cigars of 2019 here: https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/900625/2019-ccom-forums-cigar-of-the-year-results

A lot seem hit or miss to me personally. I enjoyed undercrowns but some seem blah will the next may be really good.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somebody who knows cigars (might have been @jliu but I don't remember) said that some Drew Estates, like the Liga Privada, are "painted" with some kind of tobacco juice to give them a uniform color and that's why to put off so much smoke. They said it was a natural product they get when fermenting. How true that is, I don't know.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    Somebody who knows cigars (might have been @jliu but I don't remember) said that some Drew Estates, like the Liga Privada, are "painted" with some kind of tobacco juice to give them a uniform color and that's why to put off so much smoke. They said it was a natural product they get when fermenting. How true that is, I don't know.

I have heard this also and that many brands do it.

• BadSneakersBadSneakers Posts: 156 ✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    I notice that a lot of Drew Estate cigars produce more smoke than many of the >other cigars I smoke.

I've definitely noticed that, too.

It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating. - Jack Handey 
  • BadSneakersBadSneakers Posts: 156 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for all the imput folks. Lots of variables to consider, I suppose.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭

@deadman said:

@peter4jc said:

Its true.
    They infuse their tobacco with tobacco.

Produces oily smokey cigars.

They are super hush hush how exactly its done, but I suspect its in the curing/aging process.
    ...not just water being sprayed on the pelones to maintain humidity, but "goodness" as well.

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

@kuzi16 said:

@deadman said:

@peter4jc said:

Its true.
    They infuse their tobacco with tobacco.

Produces oily smokey cigars.

They are super hush hush how exactly its done, but I suspect its in the curing/aging process.
    ...not just water being sprayed on the pelones to maintain humidity, but "goodness" as well.

Back for 10 minutes and already educating.

Yea this is very common especially with maduros. If anyone here was smoking in the 90s and early 2000’s it was so bad they’d turn your lips black.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dropping some knowledge, nice to see you @kuzi16!

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )