Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Etiqueta Azul

Apparently this is a Drew Estate creation. I got it in some grab-bag or other. Anyone ever smoke one?

Comments

• Options
    adamkhaliladamkhalil Posts: 80
    With thanks to Kuzi, this review will follow his format. It is my first review, so bear with me. Thanks, in advance, to Kuzi for his awesome format and rating system :-p. With that -- Here goes!

5-30-09 been in humi since 2-8-09
    Etiqueta Azul
    Robusto (5.5 x 48)
    Wrapper: Connecticut
    Binder: Not sure
    Filler: Nicaraguan.

Taking the cigar out of the wrapper, its aroma is unlike any other I've ever smelled. Not only is there that typical "cigar" tobacco smell, there is a hint of something else. One website says that this cigar, produced by Drew Estate, is "infused with botanicals." I'm not sure what that means, but it immediatly conjured images of Herbal Essences shampoo in my mind. Anyway, for lack of a better word, there is a trace of a berry smell, but not like strawberry or raspberry -- more like a berry that would grow on a tree. The band is nice and simple. Black on blue with the word "Azul". The wrapper itself is very appealing. No long veins, holes, bumps, etc., just a smooth cigar with a few veins and the end of the leaf where it rolls over itself are visible. One interesting thing to note, though, is that the cigar itself is kind of pillowy or squishy. Most cigar's I've smoked seemed more compact or substantial when you apply a little pressure between two fingers. This cigar, however, has much more give. Anyway, after cutting the cap and taking a draw it's time to light.

After lighting, I run back to my cabinet and put my lighter and cutter back in their place. Oops, bad move. Cigar went out. This may not be a reflection on the cigar itself, though, since my humi is currently running at 78% RH (despite my best efforts) and I'm still the newbiest of newbs when it comes to lighting properly.

Anyway, upon relighting I take a few puffs. It finally hits me -- I know what botanicals means: Peanut Butter and Jelly. Odd as it may sound, that is what I thought of as I smoked the first third of the cigar. It tasted somewhat of Peanut Butter and Jelly. It's not like an infused taste, but more of an aftertaste on your palate when you swallow. It doesn't take away from the flavor of the cigar itself, that is, the tobacco'y flavor you'd expect, and I definitely find it enjoyable.

The first ash falls after an inch and 1/4 or so. The burn is even and has not gone out again, despite the long ash. I'm about done with the first third of the cigar and the taste is the same as the first puffs. Hints of berries remain after a puff.

At about halfway the berry taste somewhat dies off. I'm not sure what I'd call the new predominant taste. Not quite peanut butter, but definitely nutty of one variation or another. I wish I had more elegant terms to describe it, but I will have to stick with nutty. Also, once or twice I got a hint of something else. I don't want to say chlorine becuase that doesn't feel like a compliment, but it is definitely that type of "clean" smell. The aroma gives me the impression I could have been at a country club inhaling the atmosphere surrounding me.

I've smoked the majority of the cigar and have about 2 fingers left. Maybe a centimeter before the band. I'm expecting the cigar to burn hot and get bitter, signaling that my time is out, but it doesn't. It stays cool and retains its same taste, perhaps because the loose packing of the tobacco allows it to cool (i'm shooting from the hip here, i have no real evidence why). Anyway, at about a finger and a little left I decide I should let it burn out rather than finding out what the cigar tastes like to signal game over. I'm very surprised by how far down I can smoke this sucker.

Final thoughts: A good cigar that you've probably never heard of. The squishy-ness of it was somewhat off putting, but if you can get past that you're in for a good smoke. I'm not sure what a desert cigar is, but if it basically is what the name implies, this cigar fits the bill. The aftertaste is what you'd imagine smoking a pb&j sandwhich then smoking a cigar would taste like. Definitely preferable to some other aftertaste's I've had stick around. The stick maintains a mellow/mild flavor through-out. I probably wouldn't pick it for an outing of smoking with the guys, but as I was just watching a movie and digesting dinner it was perfect.

Burn time: 1 hour 30 min.

Burn: 7
    Draw: 7
    Taste: 8
    Aftertaste: 9
    Construction: 6
    Appearance: 6
    Feel: 5

Overall: 7
    3 smoke rings -- an average cigar
    Recommended to:
    people that like a mild cigar.
    People that smoke a morning or after dinner cigar
    New smokers
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    very nice, thorough review.. I have one of these resting in my humidor in fact, and this review has gotten me interested. I had no idea it was made by Drew Estate
  • Options
    ljlljl Posts: 819
    These do not have the same tobacco smell as most sticks. In fact one of my large humidors smells like this cigar now (I think there are 3 or 4 in there). My grandpa smoked a pipe and occasionally had flavored tobaccos around. This smell reminds me of that. When I smoked it, it was different, don't think this will ever be a "go to". The ones I have now should last me some time.