Home General Discussion

Work from Home V-Herf?

TheCigarChickTheCigarChick Moderator Posts: 296 admin
edited May 2022 in General Discussion

So I'm not sure just how many of you are in the same boat I'm in right now with working from home, but on the off-shoot that enough of you are, I think it would be fun to have a Work from Home V-Herf. Whether it be a traditional lunch hour timing, at 5p, or even on the weekends, I'm going just a tad stir crazy. :D

To make matters worse I can't smoke inside my house as I have pets + it's a rental, and I'm someone for many, many years now has been able to smoke cigars while working, so I'm kind of in a Bloombergian "Twilight Zone" over here.

If anyone is interested, please drop a line on this thread and let me know what time of day works best for you. I still have most of my usual meetings albeit they're over Skype or Cell for work, but I've convinced my peers that carving out time for a V-Herf is something important to my overall schedule! ;)

Post edited by TheCigarChick on
Tagged:

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds good, I jumped on vHerf last night for the reasons you mentioned. I've been Wheeling from home since last week.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was at my step-daughter's home yesterday. She works for a lie firm (I always spell attorney phonetically for clarity) which sent them all to work at home. She's got three younsters at home and a big dog. No home office. She had a laptop on the hassock while sitting on the couch. Not gettin nuthin done.

I have three home offices: one in the home office with a Linux tower, one in the napatorium with a Linux laptop, one on the cedar lined smoking porch w/ a Windows laptop. But you will often find me in the garage w/ a laptop. When on my murdersickle adventures, I find I can do quite a lot w/ just a Galaxy tablet and a bluetooth keyboard & wireless mouse.

The whole working at home thing is so pitifully overdue. We shoulda been doing a whole lot more this way for the last 10 or 15 years.

Well, unless you're driving a tugboat like our gar-smokin friend here does. Rather have you aboard for that.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in. Day 3 and I'm going crazy.

Don't look ↑

@Yakster said:
    Sounds good, I jumped on vHerf last night for the reasons you mentioned. I've been Wheeling from home since last week.

DYAC, working from home since last week.

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

I work part of the day, then go home to do my work orders and invoices on our fleet management system on the confuser.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Getting on Friday a bit

• NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Long days and nights for me right now. Probably for the next three months.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• TheCigarChickTheCigarChick Moderator Posts: 296 admin

@Yakster said:
    Getting on Friday a bit

What time? Assuming thunderstorms here in PA don't last all-day, I'll try to join you.

edited March 2020

Friday's are usually popular times, but since I'm on the west coast I tend to get in on the later edge of the vHerf action. I'd try when you get off work to see if anyone's on.

Recently I've been logging on most nights just to see if anyone's about while I de-stress after a hard day of running reports, reading email, and drinking coffee in my home office.

vHerf-in-Place

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be on around 8pm central tomorrow if anyone would like to join the madness.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

I shall do my best...

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Significant3Significant3 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m on now, for about the next hour.

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

@Patrickbrick said:
    I will be on around 8pm central tomorrow if anyone would like to join the madness.

I'll mark my calendar

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Significant3 said:
    I’m on now, for about the next hour.

Can't tonight

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Are you kidding me?
    I can't even think about doing a V-herf while working at home.
    I have enough distractions at home, while trying to do my paperwork and crap from work, at home.
    In my office at work, entering in all my work orders and invoices takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
    At home, I got 3 done in an hour. WTF?

My 'AD Look there goes a bunny HD' kicks in hardcore at home.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.

I'm going to try and get on at Noon Pacific tomorrow and then again after work.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm off work today/tonight. Hope I can get on for the Big Friday Night V-Herf I always miss on a normal week.

edited March 2020

We use Google Hangouts for the vHerf. On a PC, you can just click on a link and allow the browser window to access your camera and microphone and you should be able to log in to the vHerf. There's Google Hangouts apps for iOS and Android phones and tablets. You have to click on the link to launch the app, otherwise if you just start the app you won't be able to find the vHerf. There's no way in Google Hangouts to save the vHerf channel for later, but a trick I use on my tablet is to hang up on the call when done but never completely shut down the Hangouts app so I can power up my laptop and switch to the app and just log in and I don't have to find the link every time.

I've used note apps like Evernote to store the vHerf link to make it easier to launch on my mobile device.

I have the link in my signature and on my profile page. The following should work:

Join me on the vHerf or try the iOS vHerf Link for iPhones -Chris

• GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TheCigarChick are you available to vherf this afternoon?
    It seems quite a few forum members are at home today.

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.

@Guitarded - sure! What time is good for everyone? I have a conference call from 3p-4p EST, and then after that I'm free. The storms have left Eastern PA and apparently so have the noisy landscapers in my development, so I might actually be able to hear people and respond without shouting. :D

• Significant3Significant3 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll try to be on in about 20 minutes

Getting on.

Where is everyone?

Don't look ↑
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsZjKQEN1tY

I think I'd like to go
    back home
    And take it easy
    There's a woman that
    I'd like to get to know
    Living there

Everybody seems to wonder
    What it's like down here
    I gotta get away
    from this day-to-day
    running around,
    Everybody knows
    this is nowhere.

Everybody, everybody knows
    Everybody knows.

Every time I think about
    back home
    It's cool and breezy
    I wish that I could be there
    right now
    Just passing time.

Everybody seems to wonder
    What it's like down here
    I gotta get away
    from this day-to-day
    running around,
    Everybody knows
    this is nowhere.

Everybody, everybody knows
    Everybody knows.

You gonna share those wings, @VegasFrank?

• GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

We are on Lindsay. 🤠

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.

@Guitarded - be there ASAP. Waiting on digital marketing to get me the template for Monday's Weekly Deal because it has to be loaded into the system before 5p.

@Yakster said:
    You gonna share those wings, @VegasFrank?

Don't look ↑

@TheCigarChick said:
    @Guitarded - be there ASAP. Waiting on digital marketing to get me the template for Monday's Weekly Deal because it has to be loaded into the system before 5p.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeespinosa

Don't look ↑
This discussion has been closed.