Home Cigar 101

lighters

Trx680Trx680 Posts: 40 ✭✭✭

I remember back in the late 90s I went fishing with a co-worker and his dad. His dad smoked and used an old school refillable Zippo. Every time he lit up the whole van stunk like butane. About that same time I remember reading NOT to light a cigar with a butane lighter because it could cause the cigar to taste like butane.

I don't have a nice lighter. I just use a cheap Bic.I'm getting more into the cigars so might as well get a decent lighter....which I know nothing about. But I don't want to make the mistake of buying a stinky lighter. Here on cigar.com I see torch lighters. Looking at the comments I see some customers mentioning refilling them with butane. The description says nothing about butane. Are they mistaken in the comments?

I'm just looking to get a decent CIGAR lighter and not spend a fortune and not stink up the cigar.

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

The old Zippo lighters used Naphtha, nasty fluid that you'd fill the body with. Replace your old Zippo inner piece with a butane insert and your good to go, or try another butane lighter.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

Your Bic is filled with butane.

• Trx680Trx680 Posts: 40 ✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    The old Zippo lighters used Naphtha, nasty fluid that you'd fill the body with. Replace your old Zippo inner piece with a butane insert and your good to go, or try another butane lighter.

So the old style and new are butane, just a different butane?
    I don't have a zippo so I won't be replacing any insert. I'll be buying a new lighter altogether

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zippos have lighter fluid bro. They use a wick and liquid in the tank and every Zippo I've seen has that clothy crap in the tanks to suck up the fluid.

Lighter fluid is not butane.

I can't believe none of these questions have ever come up before. We should keep all these questions somewhere so we can refer to them later.

Don't look ↑
  • Trx680Trx680 Posts: 40 ✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    Your Bic is filled with butane.

yea, like you said, theres a difference in that butane. Those old wickup Zippos stink.

Right, the Zippo without a butane insert uses liquid Naphtha oil and a wick. Butane is a clean burning gas and you can retrofit your favorite Zippo with a butane insert, but just go buy a butane lighter and you'll be fine.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stick with the Bic. If it's good enough for @Patrickbrick it's good enough for you. #doublesasabottleopenertoo

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a few lighter discussions from the recent past that might be worth a read.

https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/898677/cigar-lighters/p1

https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/comment/1127186#Comment_1127186

Also maybe Chris AKA @Yakster would be kind enough to post in a separate thread, a tutorial (with those helpful screen shots) on how to use the search feature so that new guys can look for info that is readily available on subjects they are interested in learning about. There are tons of great conversations from the past that should be helpful, but they could use a little detailed guidance on exactly how to look it up. And in the future, when we want to encourage anyone to use the search window, we can bump your tutorial thread for their benefit, as well as everyone's benefit.

edited April 2020