Home General Discussion

Removing Flavored Cigar Aroma from Humidors

Does anyone have suggestions removing the flavored cigar aroma from a wooden humidor? I have a nice wooden desktop humidor that I kept Tatiana Groovy Blues with some other flavored cigars. Now that I am buying non-flavored sticks, I could use the additional space.

Comments

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

Good luck. Maybe put it in the sun with the lid open for a few days and then re-season it? If you can smell the aroma that means it is off-gassing, heat or sunlight should accelerate that. Or put a dish of baking soda in it for a while, that is supposed to work with refrigerators.
    Alternatively, get a small ozone generator and stick it in for a while, that is what is used to get the aroma of aromatic pipe tobacco out of briar pipes.

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Think Edward’s suggestion of baking soda should be you first attempt.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crumpled up newspaper could also help absorb odors. Some vanilla in a cotton swab in a open plastic bag or on a saucer has helped with smelly coolers in the past.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I got my wine cooler, someone had spilt some wine on some of the racks. I tried everything to get the smell of vinegar out of them....Washed with bleach and water then set in the sun....Washed in a stronger beach solution then set outside for a week....Put 5lbs of baking soda in there for two weeks....Finally put them in a garbage bag full of cedar chips.....Nothing worked, ended up building some shelves.

Moral of the story....Sometimes it's better to cut your losses when it comes to smells.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put some padrons in there and let em sit for 6 to 8 months. The padrons will suck up all of the tatiana aromas. Then smoke all of those groovy padroniana 1964 blues and put your regular sticks in the fresh humidor.

Don't look ↑
  • TBonzTBonz Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭

The vanilla worked wonders on a freezer that "unfroze" during the summer. It was supposed to have been cleaned out before the kids left for the summer. They cleaned the fridge but not the freezer part. Let's just say a few weeks of no power created a very noticeable aroma throughout the house. A week of the vanilla cotton balls in the fridge and freezer sections and you couldn't tell there had been a problem.

• ZonkersZonkers Posts: 2

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am trying newspaper’s and baking soda in a cup. I will change out the newspaper twice a week. After week one, the grape aroma is 90% gone. I will keep up this process for several more weeks.

Stay tuned!

• Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

The wife like those Groovy Blues. They certainly smell like candy. Keep the separate in their own Tupperware from now on.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5