Home General Discussion

Here's a question....

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in the day, before all the fooling around with how the forum works/doesn't work, we used to be able to pull up a list of members. I've been all over the place, both on my iPhone and my laptop, and i cant find said list Whassup wit' dat??

Anybody got any ideas? TIA

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it requires a third-party member list plug-in to the Vanilla Forums site.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

A module needs to be added to do this, I think.

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    A module needs to be added to do this, I think.

Man, I’m sure out of my league here. I don’t understand what you’re talking about but why do simple things have to be made so difficult? If the list availability was there a few years ago, why can’t it still be there? Is this the result of some of the monkey motions the IT folks are responsible for?

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

No doubt it's a case of them not knowing what goes on at your end any more than your not knowing what goes on at their end.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

Apparently, the member list function is not built into Vanilla Forums. Perhaps in the past we were using a 3rd party module to show a member list. We'd need someone with IT access to the forum dashboard to enable the memberlist and possibly request a module be installed to support this, if necessary.

Hmmmm. Well, thanks for your input, Chris. It’s appreciated.

IMO, however, this kind of thing is just a crock of the proverbial nasty stuff. I guess IT folks must need something to do in order to justify their own existence but, in the words of some wise old person, “If it ain’t fvcking broke, don’t fvcking fix it!!” 😡

@TheCigarChick, @timb, any chance of bringing the member list back?

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

I kinda remember a list too. It was just screennames, but from that list you could check their profile. And seems like the list could be arranged by categories like oldest to newest member, or most active members, etc. It was handy.

• TheCigarChickTheCigarChick Moderator Posts: 296 admin

Are you just referring to a general list of all Forum Members, or was there something a bit more segmented? (Sorry for what may sound like a silly question, but that was before my tenure at the company.)

edited April 2020

IIRC, it contained all members, active or not, and were of screen (forum) names only, no street names. Hope that helps...

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

@TheCigarChick
    Somewhere on the site, it was a drop down type of thing you clicked on. (^^^^See my description above.^^^^)

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

@jlmarta said:
    IIRC, it contained all members, active or not, and were of screen (forum) names only, no street names. Hope that helps...

Street name = government name?

Here’s a new question....

When you’re typing a post to a thread, what’s it mean when it says “You can use Markdown in your post..”?

What’s “Markdown”? 🤓🤓

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jlmarta said:

When you’re typing a post to a thread, what’s it mean when it says “You can use Markdown in your post..”?

What’s “Markdown”? 🤓🤓

It is what I tell the boss lady every box of cigars is.

I think it is actually some type of coding that is a shorthand of html.
    Near as I can figure, you can use basic coding to make things happen in your post.
    I haven't been interested enough to figure it out yet.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.

@0patience said:

@jlmarta said:

What’s “Markdown”? 🤓🤓

It is what I tell the boss lady every box of cigars is.

I think it is actually some type of coding that is a shorthand of html.
    Near as I can figure, you can use basic coding to make things happen in your post.
    I haven't been interested enough to figure it out yet.

Well, you know me, if it involves any of that teckernickel stuff it’s ‘way out of my league.... 😜😜

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the word markdown is a hyperlink. If you click it, I think it takes you to a Wikipedia page or something like that that discusses the markdown language. I clicked it when it first started appearing months ago, and I have since forgotten.

Don't look ↑
    edited September 2020

@VegasFrank said:
    I think the word markdown is a hyperlink. If you click it, I think it takes you to a Wikipedia page or something like that that discusses the markdown language. I clicked it when it first started appearing months ago, and I have since forgotten.

Frank is correct, Click Here for the same link. It's like HTML tags, but different. The way the editor on this forum is currently set up, you don't need to really use the Markdown codes to format your message because there's the icons above the text box that give you pretty much all the same features such as headings, bulleted lists, etc.

I checked it out a bit but decided it was too much work for me to remember and instead just use the toolbar icons above.

@VegasFrank
    Thanks, Frank. You’re right - I just clicked on it when I started this reply. Sadly, when I got to the Wikipedia page I thought I had been transported to the University of Venus (or somewhere near there)..... 😝😝

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just smoke your fifth cigar in as many days and none of this will matter anymore.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

This is what happens when the air quality is bad and Marty can't smoke... :D