Home Ratings & Reviews

Iron Horse

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anybody tried these?

Comments

• macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    Yep... ROTT or within a month simple enough to be a yard gar. Singular flavor profile... the open up with 3-6 months on them. I buy couple boxes in December so when my years yard work starts full swing they have good flavors.

Hidden gem maybe... kinda like a poor mans MUWAT. If the age better after the short time they rest in my humi idk. Just my $0.02.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Haven't smoked much the past year but I did smoke an iron robusto last week from an old mash buy over a year ago. Pretty decent. Seems like most budget smokes, if you care to invest inventory space for a year or two, after a few years they're pretty good as a regular smoke. Didn't knock my socks off but I'll smoke the other 4 from that 5 pack. Regular budget smoke in my opinion.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

I noticed on the Ashtrays thread that Chris @Yakster said these were an AJ blend. Way back (5 or 6 years or more) I got a flight sampler of these. Back then the name AJ Fernandez was never mentioned. Wasn't too impressed, but they were cheap. And now I see Iron Horse again but with a different band. I've still got a few left, gonna light one up and see how it does.

Old band,.....

New band,....

The new band looks OK. That old one, I thought it was the worst band ever.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't surmise this to be the case with these sticks, but in the light of the FDA equivalency nonsense some manufacturers are buying up old brands so they make their own blends under that name and sell them w/o having to jump through all the hoops because that newly-purchased brand was around before the FDA cut-off date. Was told this at a My Father event by the rep who also said MF had purchased Fonseca for that sole purpose and would start pumping out MF blends under the new Fonseca label sometime this year.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

@peter4jc said:
    I wouldn't surmise this to be the case with these sticks,

What did you think I surmosed?

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't mind getting samosaed right now.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob_Luken said:

@peter4jc said:
    I wouldn't surmise this to be the case with these sticks,

What did you think I surmosed?

I would never surmise what you surmose. I was surmising that I wouldn't surmise.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob_Luken said:
    ……... I've still got a few left, gonna light one up and see how it does.

Well? Verdict? You've had 90 minutes and enquiring minds want to know....

How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

or samoaned
    Samoa Food

A lighting ritual that can't be unseen.

Ok $hi+heads. I just lit the thing. Tastes pretty good so far. Not great, but I never expected great. Just hoping for "doesn't suck too bad". I'll keep you posted.

And I have some stats. It's a Maduro 5x50 and I got it 11-8-13 for less than $1.50.

This cigar,.... it's speaking to me now. It's saying, "You wouldn't doubt me so much if you went ahead and drank some bourbon".

The bourbon helps. And you know what? I've had plenty of cigars that cost five times as much, (discounted price, or auction price, not MSRP) that didn't even taste twice as good.

Thanks for taking one for the team, @Bob_Luken.

• ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked into them the other day after Chris mentioned them...Famous was about the only one who sells them anymore.

I need to start restocking some cheap soon anyway......

@ForMud, it was a joke, I did a search on cigars with "Iron" in the name to match your cast iron ashtray. What have I started?

• ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    What have I started?

My demise from the sound of it...….. :*

Let's be real. The ones they're making today could be worse, or better, but for sure I can't expect them to be the same cigars. This seems like a strange and fortunate coincidence for me to have bought these at $1.33, initially unappreciated and forgotten in the bottom of my cooler, then absentmindedly aging them six and a half years, to end up with a "pretty good" cigar. I certainly can't think of recommending anyone to try to do what I did. Proceed at your own peril. And don't give me credit either way.

edited April 2020

@ForMud said:
    I looked into them the other day after Chris mentioned them...Famous was about the only one who sells them anymore.

Chris's comment, plus I stumbled across a couple of mine several times lately in a box of odds and end sticks. The first thing I noticed about the new ones, is that they say AJ blends them. I don't know if he blended the older ones or not. I'm pretty sure he was never mentioned when it came to the older ones. But one thing I found today was a 2015 video with a description for the old Sumatra wrapped blend that matches, word for word, the description for the current Sumatra's .

They've always been exclusively famous, I think. Pretty sure they've never been anywhere else.

The new bands remind me of the brickhouse bands.