Home General Discussion

Cigar Humidity, I'm sure this will ruffle a few feathers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6rHqsJC6yg&t=5s

So I'm a big fan of Nick Perdomo and his cigars, they occupy about 70% of my humidor and I have really taken to these videos because I feel like info directly from a manufacturer is some of the best info you can get. However, I feel like this one might be a little polarizing, especially on this forum of salty dogs. What are your thoughts? I have been going by the 70/70 for a long time and being in Florida, I feel like maybe I should drop my humidity a little after watching this. But I tend to enjoy a spongy cigar feel.

Also, are there any other manufacturers out there giving great info life this?

Comments

• ScotchnSmokeScotchnSmoke Posts: 134

@deadman Ha ha ha! Yeah that's pretty much where I got it from.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it dryer than that. My smoking shelf stays at about 62 or 63. 70% was popularized because green floral foam, the crap that comes in all of those stock humidifiers inside the humidors, keeps a humidor at about 70% when it's saturated with water, with the wood in your humidor soaking up the spikes and the imperfections in it slowly releasing humidity into the room. That is the theory anyways...

Don't look ↑
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

@Scotch_n_Smoke said:
    @deadman Ha ha ha! Yeah that's pretty much where I got it from.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s just YouTube seems saturated with the I’ve been smoked a month noobs and just bought a second tower to house all of my Fighting **** and Victory Sinclair’s. Great yard gars and my shop cuts me a deal because I meet Rocky Patel once while staying at a Holiday Inn. 😂😂 Ok I’m done.

Let just this: I think this is a great video and accurate information from someone who Actually knows. But as a new smokers the flashy video with the guys with tower humi and millions of views is going to take my attention. It’s a sad reality in our hobby but luckily there are some great forums for noobs who want to learn can go to.

• TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

65%RH, 65-75*F(Winter/Summer) here, zero problems, everything ages fine.
    Smoking when very humid out I’ll take on out and let it dry box just in the houses 50-55%RH for about a day, maybe less or more burns great.

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use the 62% or 65% Bovedas and my wine cooler can't be set higher than mid 60s (thought it climbs in the summer). My cigar crate I keep in the coolest room in the house right now since I don't have central air.

I like the lower humidity for smokability.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

@VegasFrank I was wondering where that started. It's what almost everyone has preached to me since i started smoking. I never even took into consideration different times of year or regions even.

@deadman So if I just buy tower humidor I can make a living on YouTube.... I guess now is the time to try...lol Great insight though.

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

@Scotch_n_Smoke said:
    @VegasFrank I was wondering where that started. It's what almost everyone has preached to me since i started smoking. I never even took into consideration different times of year or regions even.

@deadman So if I just buy tower humidor I can make a living on YouTube.... I guess now is the time to try...lol Great insight though.

Correct but you can only smoke cheap bundle cigars. And you have to always say “for the money it make a great yard gar”. Your top shelf must consist of Vintage 1990s and Ghurkas that you say you are saving for a special occasion.

@Bob_Luken said:

@VegasFrank said:

You won't be able to, because them's the facts, jack.

Don't look ↑
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

70% and 70° was supposedly started by Zino Davidoff.
    Rumor is he didn’t even smoke cigars.

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

62-68% is just fine Francis. My temp stays at 66 cause of the winecoolers

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

@deadman said:

Correct but you can only smoke cheap bundle cigars. And you have to always say “for the money it make a great yard gar”. Your top shelf must consist of Vintage 1990s and Ghurkas that you say you are saving for a special occasion.

No Gurkha will ever be worth saving.

So then the vintage 1990s then.... insightful.

Don't look ↑
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gurkha's are the bomb....a hand held bomb!

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Why am I having a mold problem? I keep my humidor at 70/70, like all the wisdom of the internet says.

Sound familiar?

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stubble said:
    Gurkha's are the bomb....a hand held bomb!

It's true, I've had many explode in my hand.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a bad video, bottom line, find what works best. i keep mine between 64-68

I was born a fool, and just got bigger!