Home General Discussion

Seasoning new humidor

I purchased a new 50 count glass top humidor and am in the process of seasoning which I did not do with my existing humidor, I wiped everything down yesterday with distilled water and new sponge, but my question is regarding the humidifier. It is a rectangle bead type which I've never used, I normaly use the gel jar type, so do I put the humidifier in the humidor while it seasons or just the sponge as I've read in other threads?
Thanks in advance for any help
This is my first post although ive been enjoying cigars the last couple of years I'm still pretty clueless

Comments

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

Seasoning should be a week min and 2 weeks preferably. Glass tops leak. Get some non-scented aquarium silicone and run a bead around the glass/wood and probably the inner joints while you are at it. Place the sponge humidifier in the trash and buy 2-3 60 gram boveda packs.

Get a digital humidity gauge and calibrate it. There are tons of videos on calibration on YouTube. Once you out grow this humidor I suggest a $15 island breeze 48 qt cooler from Walmart. You can then place this whole 50 ct in it and still have plenty of room for more cigars.

• pnltbox27pnltbox27 Posts: 6 ✭✭

Sorry for confusion, not using sponge humidifier, but the sponge I used to wipe it down. I've read to leave sponge on cap inside when seasoning , but just unsure if the humidifier goes in while seasoning too

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, just keep that sponge moist and leave it in there for a week or two. Granted it doesn’t leak humidity then after that you would be ready to add cigars.

Thank you

🤣 I'll keep you posted, it may come to that

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pnltbox27 said:
    I purchased a new 50 count glass top humidor and seasoning which I did not do with my existing humidor, .....

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sure makes life easier.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pnltbox27 said:
    Not gonna lie, wish I would've found this forum before getting another box humidor, should've and probably will go tupper/ coolerdore route next time

You have been a member since 2014. :D;)B):#

Don't look ↑
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure he means he should have checked in with us before buying a wooden tabletop humidor. :D
    Yes, Tupperdore/Coleman cooler is King.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."

@BKDog said:
    I'm sure he means he should have checked in with us before buying a wooden tabletop humidor.

Exactly...