Home General Discussion

Cigar + your favorite alcoholic beverage

EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love cigars with scotch, no surprise there.
My fav combos:
Lagavulin + padron
Glenmorangie + anything
Burbon seems to works well with sweeter sticks

I was on a VHerf and some of you guys suggested that some beverages maybe antagonistic...

What beers and liquor work well for you guys ( or poorly)
What cigar combos are your favs?

Comments

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scotch works poorly for me ... cause it's already smokey. So, while I do love a good scotch, not with a smoke.

Whiskey-wise, it's hard to beat Irish. Sippin my way thru a bottle of Proper Twelve right now. Tho rye can work well. Michters is good. You want something that will clean the palate, not overwhelm it.

Damn hard to find a wine that drinks well with gars. I once bought a case of something called Alpinismo, from Deer Run winery along the shores of Lake Conesus in NY. That winery was founded by a gar smoker & hence the unique wine. No idea what grapes are in it. I asked; but they were evasive. Had to get it shipped to my handball partner in MD, cause DullAware won't let them ship here. Something about land of the free, I guess.

Coors, Modelo, Guinness Blonde. Most any yaller beer will clean the palate.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bourbon or rum. Beer would be a stout

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

That apricot sour beer yesterday was a bad pairing, but a good beer. Don't care, really wanted that beer.

Coffee, of course. You can Irish it up if you want.

Scotch works well, I like ones finished in Sherry with cigars.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • XWFD30XWFD30 Posts: 26

Dark Rum, El Dorado 12 or 15 yr: Eximo 10 yr; Diplomatico Reserve.
    Glenlivet, Glenfidich.
    Dark Stout beer, has to have coffee & chocolate flavours...........
    I'd dip my sticks in the Rum if it didn't wreck em..................Z

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

I tend to like Scotch, Rum, certain kinds of Brandy, or beer with most cigars. Bourbon's OK, too. The smokiness of the Scotch doesn't detract from the cigar, for me. In fact, the smokier the Scotch, the better I like it. I do not care for wine with cigars. Somehow the wine and the cigar both taste wrong when imbibed together.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

I agree on the wine & cigars. Good wine's good all by itself, or food......Ya, food & wine, Then switch to booze & cigars......... :-))

• GrawlsGrawls Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭

Busch light pairs great with everything

Papa's Pillar dark rum pairs well for me.

• EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

I find that there are group of scotches that are on the peaty side that taste sweeter when I smoke a cigar ( lagavulin and ardberg) to point where I really only drink those with a cigar ... I think slightly bitter beers also would have like an added sweetness ( I will try with a stout next , seems strange I haven’t yet)

I'll try the Lagavulin or Ardberg, Ego...... (whichever is less smoky) If you try the stouts, Guiness, in my opinion is too bland to have a smoke with. You need those other back flavors.
    Yakster....is Papa's Pillar the right name, & where is it from?? I tried to find it on LCBO site, no go. Maybe not available in Ontario's deep south. Z

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@XWFD30 said:
    I'll try the Lagavulin or Ardberg, Ego...... (whichever is less smoky) If you try the stouts, Guiness, in my opinion is too bland to have a smoke with. You need those other back flavors.
    Yakster....is Papa's Pillar the right name, & where is it from?? I tried to find it on LCBO site, no go. Maybe not available in Ontario's deep south. Z

Personally I don’t pair Guinness. I like it but other stouts pair better like Aviators black mamba or dragons milk

If you travel North of the border,( that's if we ever get to go anywhere again ??) drop me a note & I can recommend some really good dark beers for you.............Z

edited May 2020

Papa's Pilar Dark Rum. I haven't tried their older, more premium bottles. My phone "corrected" it to Pillar. It's tied to Ernest Hemingway.

K thanks..........

• EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

@XWFD30 said:

If you are against the peat @XWFD30 and you are trying to branch out to scotch I would try glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, or Balvenie double wood, or balvenie carreabean cask , those are fairly sweet , minimal peat.
    Lagavulin really is one of the scotches that changes for me with a cigar... rich with medium peat ( straight) that almost goes away with a cigar and tastes sweeter. Ardberg is a little more peat and slightly harsher than lagavulin but they are all great. Take these comments with a grain of salt since I am no expert scotch guy, and the big peat ones ( ie laphroig ) that “ true” scotch guys enjoy are too intense for me.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like those Balvenie's ^^

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn it pops where did I go wrong, I thought you cared.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^just finished a bottle of that, and really liked it.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

Irish Mist with any cigar.