Home General Discussion

Slant Cut on a Torpedo. Your Thoughts?

I was at my favorite cigar before all this covid went down (I miss it) and they had a new girl. I purchased a Torpedo from the humidor and she offered to cut it. When I got it back, she had put a slant cut on it. Before I reveal my thoughts, I would like to hear yours and ask if there is anything benefit to it and whether or not you prefer it.

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

What ever make you happy.
    Sone of us use v-cutters, some use straight cutters.
    I suppose that an angle cut might allow more draw, but it probably wouldn't make a lot of difference.
    My concern would be to much of a cut and cause it to want to start to unravel.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

i have used a slant cut on torperdos

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would annoy the crap out of me, and I'd re-cut it straight.

However, if you like it, go for it.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tried it didn’t really see a difference

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

The theory goes that a slant cut allows the smoke to directly hit the palate and therefore provide more flavor. LFD's Litto Gomez does this with all of his chisel shaped smokes. I'm with Nick in that I've tried it. I'm also with @deadman insofar as I didn't see much of a difference. I find that if I don't rotate the smoke, it starts to burn unevenly.

Don't look ↑
  • ScotchnSmokeScotchnSmoke Posts: 134

@VegasFrank I always look forward to your replies! Thank you everyone for taking the time to give some great feedback. I truly love this forum.

• TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rsherman24 said:
    Just don't V-Cut a torpedo. That is just weird

Actually diG the V-cut on a TorP.

@rsherman24 I have seen a lot of people do it. I'm kinda surprised, I didn't think anyone would.

• EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

I may have commented on this in the past, but I heard Robert Holt from southern draw recommend the slant cut on a podcast. He says that it opens a draw while maintaining some shoulder so that the cigar maintains the structure of the torpedo.
    I do it, but I am not sure if really makes a difference if the draw is already good...

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only way to really know is to cut the same cigar twice, first straight - check the draw - then a slant and check the draw again. It has to be the same cigar since there's variation in hand-rolled sticks as we all know.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

Dude on IG was selling a four pin poker (not sure what to call it) that everyone was going nuts over last year. You use it to just poke holes all over. Glad that fad is over now.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always cut my torpedoes with a monkey's as$

Don't look ↑

@deadman The Shuriken. I bought one out of curiosity, it might as well have been called the cigar destroyer. Such a waste of money.

@Scotch_n_Smoke said:
    @deadman The Shuriken. I bought one out of curiosity, it might as well have been called the cigar destroyer. Such a waste of money.

Not that one. I will find some pics of the one I’m thinking of.

@Scotch_n_Smoke
    This is the contraption I was talking about. Last years IG accessory fade

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would someone want to do that? How could that possibly improve anything?

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

@peter4jc said:
    Why would someone want to do that? How could that possibly improve anything?

Give one to the right couple of people and you can sell hundreds of them. Glad the leather rolls are over too, like there’s any way that’s keeping your cigars humidified while out or traveling.

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slant on torpedoes and punch on chisel. But not to extreme a slant. Experiment and find what works for your .

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's probably just me, but I think the slant cut on a torpedo makes too large of an opening. Of course, it might be me being ham fisted.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

All my cuts on torpedoes tend to be slanty. Not intentionally.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

We were talking about this on the vherf last night. I used to cut my torpedoes straight, and had a few that had draw issues, because that's part of smoking something hand rolled. I started cutting torpedoes with a slant a few months ago and I haven't had a draw issue since. That's probably not causation, but instead just a coincidence. I'll keep cutting them with a slant though, at least until I end up having a draw issue, because why not?

• CommanderDuke1_CommanderDuke1_ Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use a v-cut myself it's never let me down yet