Home Non Cigar Related

Looking for paperback books

BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2020 in Non Cigar Related

Hey- I am trying to build a library of books for patients stuck at my work, to read. There is a lot of restrictions on people at this time, even worse when you are at Inpatient Psychiatric services. Our admitting population is primarily the homeless, poor and the alone from all age groups 18-80. A positive escape for a few hours could be very helpful.
I’m hoping to get non-violent, non-sexual, thought provoking, classic books for a very small library. My plan is to let patients take them with them when they are discharged. If they’re enjoying them, but are not finished, continue to keep reading.
I will send some cigars out as well. Thanks in advance!!
Shizz

Comments

• WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great idea Jim. I have a lot of books but most are on the subject of gardening. Let me know if those would work and I'll send some out :)

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do the books have to be paperback? Most of mine are hardcover.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was locked down in a hospital the Junior League volunteers took it on as a community service project. Might want to check with them or some other organization like that, local church, fraternal order, etc.... We impatients thought it hysterical seeing the upper class ladies every few weeks with their library carts and terrified/pitying expressions o:)

• BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

Twenty years ago I got rid of my paperbacks, must have had 100 of them or so.
    I don't keep many these days, mostly digital now. I will ask around, though!

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will go through my bookshelves today and gather up some paperbacks. I have a lot of sports ones that should fit your bill. I used to have crates full, and we donated those to a library project that our girl scout troop built for one of the safe nest programs around here. However, I've collected more since then. Hopefully I can come up with 10 or 20.

Don't look ↑
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

9549010977560139138887 coming your way Shizz.

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

I showed my wife the receipt to update the budget, and she absconded with it. It should be there Saturday.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going out tomorrow via USPS Media Mail 9449008205496334634771 👍🏻

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a box together. I'll get it out tomorrow..

Don't look ↑
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:
    No sex or violence? That leaves me out. :D

I feel ya! Not my rule....

• BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks so much to those that have sent boxes!! Very much appreciated and lots of different genres. Hardcover books are welcome. Just thought paperbacks would be less to ship. You guys are great!

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

You still needing books Jim? I’m sure I got a ton. I’ll look when I get home.