Home General Discussion

Looking for Something Specific

Hey, I'm a bit new to cigars and I am looking for something specific. I really like box pressed cigars with dark oily wrappers, but many of them are on the spicy side. I like dark, smooth, sweet flavors but can't stand it when the spice hits the back of my throat. I was looking into some cigar infused sticks because I like that flavor profile, but I HATE a sweetened tip. Anybody have any suggestions?

Comments

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Fuente has a box pressed and some maduros. Julius ceaser comes to mind also, and maybe some dark Ashton's?

Don't look ↑
    edited May 2020

And I'm trying to think of unspicy smokes. Is the RB project Genesis spicy? It's very oily. Pdr has a green and white banded smoke that has some nice sweet flavors with the subtlest white pepper on the second half.

Sounds like you like aged maduros. Chief cool arrow has aged out of most of it's spice. I smoked an lgc maduro from 03 (not aged by me) that was sweet and smooth with zero spice. Same with a 2012 trunk show.

Go for aged, and try Dominican smokes.

Don't look ↑
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy these. Sweet, chocolatey, little or no spice.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^ Also the CAO Mx2 may be just what your after.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anything to steer you away from flavored,...... OK, try a few of these,...
    5 Vegas Series 'A',...... The 'Apex' and 'Archetype' sizes both box-pressed cigars.

It's hard to find the cigar you think you want. It's easier to try everything,....and let your favorite cigar find you.

@cjwheat7 said:
    I like dark, smooth, sweet flavors but can't stand it when the spice hits the back of my throat.

Side question for the "expert cigar smokers". Would his description be more associated a cigar with specifically strong pepper notes, (AKA Pepper Bomb) rather than spice in general? I know pepper is a spice and plenty of spices are have some heat but, aren't pepper and spice two separate terms when it comes to cigars? I know the sensation he's referencing, and for me the frequency of that sensation has diminished over time. My palate may have changed over the years to appreciate peppery cigars or I've fried my sinuses a bit.

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I think of spice I think of the Laranja. It seems a bit different than "pepper".

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

You may want to check out EPC Dark Rituals.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

Other than not being box pressed, this one fits the bill to a tee.

Don't look ↑
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Le Carême by Crowned Heads.

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

DZR is clearly bored.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.

@Guitarded said:
    Le Carême by Crowned Heads.

That's got some pepper on the front end.

Don't look ↑

This is the one you want.

Don't look ↑

@Patrickbrick said:
    DZR is clearly bored.

Don't care. It's a good conversation no matter if it is,.... or not.

• TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    Fuente has a box pressed and some maduros. Julius ceaser comes to mind also, and maybe some dark Ashton's?

That right dar.... Frank, .....he got ****'N game.

• TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ashton...Ashton...Ashton.....

This is the winner bro. Box pressed and everything

Don't look ↑
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was gonna say, try some Rocky Patel cigars. The best would probably be his Decade or the Twentieth Frank posted above, both are box pressed and full of flavor.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • cjwheat7cjwheat7 Posts: 2

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I have been able to find a few of those at my local shops and I look forward to them. I also gave the CAO flathead 6x60 and the CAO Brasilia Box Press a try. Loved the 6x60, but it is about a 2 hour time commitment. The Brasilia I did not like at all, but it was worth a try. Looking forward to the Cuatro Cinco next as well as some house sticks I am ordering from Zeal cigars. Still looking for the right balance of sweet, creamy, nutty, and oily; but really enjoying the exploration.

That flathead has more nicotine than a Marlboro plant ...can't believe that suited your palate. It's a good smoke though. You'd probably like all kinds of stuff from la Aurora too

Don't look ↑
  • hoghunterhoghunter Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@0patience said:
    Wait for it......................

You know I'm gonna...................

AJ Fernandez New World Cameroon.

Boom!

The owner at my local B&M referenced this very cigar. Said the AJ is the cigar he smokes everyday right now.