Home General Discussion

Coolidor concerns

twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen.
I have a couple questions about my Coolidor.
It's a 54 quart igloo marine .
Have been using it for almost a year now. The Coolidor has been rock solid at 65 degrees and 62% humidity for the entire time. Until about a month ago. I reorganized the cigars inside. Which I do monthly. Introduced one new boveda pack and black ice jar. And it has been at 72% humidity since then.ive removed the boveda pack. Left it open for hours at a time. But once it's closed up for a day to. Right back to 72??? Wife has suggested put one those humidity controllers that c.com sells. Has anyone tried one?? Any suggestions would be much apprecited

no matter where you go, there you are.

Comments

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

It’s probably the black ice. When I use them in my cooler it goes high just like yours. Same with the KL, if I sprits it then it’s ok but but if I use a lot of water I goes high for a couple days. I generally only use the black ice when I add in a new box of cigars.

Top:

It will go back down to 65-68 in a week

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave the boveda (if it's lower then 72) and take out the black ice

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Change the battery in your Hygrometer

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't use a hygrometer. Nick doesn't. Don't use black ice. Use boveda and that's it.

Disclaimer:. I know nothing about coolidors.

Don't look ↑
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

It doesn’t take a lot in a cooler. Here is a zoomed in view of the bottom hydrometer near the black ice. It records high and low. It was 67% before the black ice was added.

I have a couple boveda packs throughout. I keep a pack in most closed boxes. The general cooler is just 3 small containers of kitty litter that gets a light spritz of water about once a month. It’s a 120 or 150 qt, can’t remember the exact size.

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go strictly boveda. That’s how they meant to work.