Home General Discussion

Do Cedar Spills Affect the Flavor of the Cigar?

I really enjoy this forum, so much great knowledge here and a lot less people just shooting from the hip like you get everywhere else.

So I have been curious about cedar spills. I have heard that they don't affect the flavor at all, and I have also heard that they can affect the flavor a lot.

While we're on the subject, I have also heard that Zippo's affect the flavor of the cigar too, but haven't tried it. I think it would be kind of cool to carry around a zippo again. I had a bunch of them from my time in the military. They were like challenge coins almost, every command had one.

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tagging off of Steve's comment, the secondary question the OP needs answered is 'do they affect flavor positively or negatively?'

Cedar spills affect flavor and I like it. Or, cedar spills affect flavor and I don't like it.

Do your own research with your own cigars. Why are you asking us if your experience will probably vary widely? Are you going to be using cedar spills either way? Or, maybe you don't care about cedar spills and are just trying to create discussion, which is okay too.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    I never had much luck lighting the cigar with them. I used too many, tended to end up scorching the wrapper. And, the room smelled like burnt thumb for some reason.

Same here. I'd break up the cedar dividers that come in boxes. I even cut down some Spanish cedar on my table saw that was left over from making trays. Other than some romantic idea that spills are a cool way to light a cigar, they offer no advantage while having serious drawbacks. Or maybe I'm just too dumb to use them.

• TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spanish cedar spills work good as long as they can be lit long enough to light the cigar. I don't notice a difference in taste lighting with one vs a Xikar soft flame or torch. Getting any cigar to hot while lighting can potentially ruin it or introduce some nasty burnt/chard taste/flavor. Then again all my cigars are stored with Spanish cedar so I might not notice anything different as I'm already used to any imparted flavor from the Spanish cedar which is minimal to my senses.

Let me just whip this 9" spill out at the lounge 😳😑👀

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nick doesn't use them. Nuff said.

Don't look ↑
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could see a regular zippo changing the taste because of the lighter fluid. With that said I have used a bic with no noticeable difference. I believe the spills do affect the flavor so use only if you like cedar in the cigar profile.

I don’t buy spills but I will use a cedar sleeve off of a cigar. They burn fast so I toast the foot first with a torch then use the sleeve to get it the rest of the way.

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^What @deadman said.
    I like using cedar spills, but I do like the cedar hint it provides.
    And I do toast with a torch first, then finish the light with a cedar spill.
    Or, I forget all about the spills, light it up and go. ;)

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • ScotchnSmokeScotchnSmoke Posts: 134

Always great advice gentlemen. I really appreciate. I know everything we do is subjective and that is one reason I really enjoy this forum, because everyone is understanding of that.

@Amos_Umwhat Thumbs are the worst smelling finger when burnt, what a nightmare. If I have to go with any burnt digit scent, I prefer the index finger.

@peter4jc I'm a serial hobbyist. When I get interested in something, my favorite part is going deep into the rabbit hole. I have been smoking cigars for 15 years, but in the past couple of years I have been diving deep into it. So yes, I enjoy the discussion, and also I like to hear others out. I will be trying cedar spills because ya never know what you're going to like until you try it.... and I try everything.....twice.

@deadman @Opatience, I like the idea of trying that, thank you.

Some dreck from a company selling cedar spills on Amazon. Nice story. I'm sure some of it is true.

Before matches, a spill was used to transfer a flame from the fire in the hearth to a candle, lamp, cigar or pipe. A true spill was not a piece of paper, a stick, or a sliver of wood, it was a specialized wood shaving, given its name from the way it “spills” from the wood plane that produces it. A spill's daily usefulness has long passed, but its been revived as a way of imparting a neutral flavor when lighting a cigar without the gasses or odors from the flame source. With a spill, the cigar lighting process is slowed, highlighting the nuances, character, and flavors in the cigar.. Much like hand-rolled cigars, our spills are a truly hand-made product. Each is hand-planed from select Spanish Cedar, individually inspected, and packaged in a clear tube highlighting the beauty of the wood from which it was produced.

Don't look ↑

This makes me think that if you're making your own spills you could use other woods; some may burn better and have a more desired flavor.

Along the lines of cedar spill flavoring a cigar, if it does at all, in my thinking it would only be for the initial light.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spills were one step up from wood swarf.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

I have an old pressboard desk. Maybe I'll light that sumbeetch on fire and see if I can detect notes of glue.

Don't look ↑
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    This makes me think that if you're making your own spills you could use other woods; some may burn better and have a more desired flavor.

Along the lines of cedar spill flavoring a cigar, if it does at all, in my thinking it would only be for the initial light.

@peter4jc said:

Cherry, and apple are pretty good dor spills. But I do like maple spills.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:

Mesquite wood isn't particularly nice, "somebody I know" tried it once. :D

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."