Home Cigar 101

New guy here Indiana

Hi guys,
New guy here, converting over from cigarettes 17 years.
Giving up the smokes but not ready to give up the smoking if that makes sense, still very much addicted to nicotine. I smoke a lot, sometimes 2 packs a day. Looking for a good cigar to take it's place, that fills the nicotine cravings, and something mild, clean, and doesn't irritate the tongue or mouth. Reason I didn't like pipes.
Anyway, I've started off with some regular gas station brands, like Black n mild, not really a cigar but I like them. And today I picked up some Backwoods wild n mld, which I enjoyed, and the wife said it smelled nice.
But I know these aren't really what cigars are all about, so I'm looking for higher end cigars. Not too expensive, we're just workin folks here, I don't think I even own a suit :)
Nothing too strong to start, a nice light smoke, with a pleasant aroma so the wife wont mind me smoking in my room of the house. I suppose size would be important too, not sure how I feel about big fat sticks, I like the size of backwoods. That's about all I can describe.
A point in the right direction, would be greatly appreciated. I want my first high end cigar experience to be a pleasant one.
Thanks

Comments

• What is your price range?
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    First off, congrats on trying to kick the habit. Now to answer your question, The ACID Line by Drew Estates would probably be a good fit for you, they aren't full sized cigars like you described and have a fairly pleasant smell. They are flavored cigars though. You'll be looking at the ones in tins of 10, they are fairly short smokes.

You'll see the sizes on the left of the column that look like 4 x 48, the first number is how long they are in inches and the second is the ring gauge which is measured in 64ths of an inch. As an example, something around a 35 ring gauge is about the diameter of your pinky finger.

Welcome aboard simon!
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    This is a good time to be interested in some affordable smokes, simon. There's a LOT of really good affordable cigars out there right now. The Cigar.com house brands are great. The Blue and Purple labels are quite mild.

Anything from 5 Vegas is a bargain. If you're looking for mild, go with the Gold.

The Arturo Fuente Curly Heads are better than they have any business being at $2.00 a pop.

Another Fuente cigar, the Montesino, is a terrific affordable smoke.

The Flor de Oliva is a winner at about $2.50 each. They're a little stronger than the others I've mentioned, but they also are generally considered to have a pleasant 2nd-hand aroma.

The Gurkha Sherpa is very tasty at $3.50.

Padrons can be had for under $4 in the panatela size. They'd definitely be on the strong end of this list.

And the Sol Cubano in the Connecticut wrapper would be deelish. Robustos are under $4.

Everything on this list is under $4, but they're all high-end cigars and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anybody. Believe it or not, you've got a lot to choose from. :)
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try some of the ccom sampler deals. Start out with the mild and maybe some mediums. See what you like and go from there. Remember, don't inhale!!!
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I started out with Romeo y Julieta 1875 Bully for about $5 and I also liked the Camacho Connecticut Robusto size, also in the $5-$6 range......... I've progressed into more full-bodied smokes, but it was a nice stepping off point for me.

I, too, was a heavy cigarette smoker for 10 years. About a pack and a half a day. Now, I smoke 2-3 cigars a week and I'm as happy as can be. It's not the "crutch" feeling I had with cigarettes.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    This is a good time to be interested in some affordable smokes, simon. There's a LOT of really good affordable cigars out there right now. The Cigar.com house brands are great. The Blue and Purple labels are quite mild.

Anything from 5 Vegas is a bargain. If you're looking for mild, go with the Gold.

The Arturo Fuente Curly Heads are better than they have any business being at $2.00 a pop.

The Flor de Oliva is a winner at about $2.50 each. They're a little stronger than the others I've mentioned, but they also are generally considered to have a pleasant 2nd-hand aroma.

Padrons can be had for under $4 in the panatela size. They'd definitely be on the strong end of this list.

And the Sol Cubano in the Connecticut wrapper would be deelish. Robustos are under $4.

Everything on this list is under $4, but they're all high-end cigars and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anybody. Believe it or not, you've got a lot to choose from. :)
    Great list here, I would also add a couple things
    Gurkha Park Ave. is a great mild with decent body and awesome construction. I don't like milds and I like this mild.
    I would also look into the segundos section of the cigar list. These are the same as the labeled sticks but with maybe a flaw or two on the wrapper. I bought some, they tasted and smoked the same as the labeled sticks. Try the ITC 10 year.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    YankeeMan:
    Remember, don't inhale!!!
    This. It needs to be repeated. You'll turn green if you try to inhale (not to mention a cigar is about 10 cigarettes, just without the added chemicals)

Not real sure what to recommend since you never listed what your budget is, but try something from the Oliva line; either a Series O Connecticut or a Nub Connecticut should give you a nice mild smoke. I've heard good things about Rockey Patel Signature series or Connecticut.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Welcome to the forums and to the cigar world. Already a great list of recommendations by the other members. I second the 5 Vegas Gold recommendation as a great value. It's a great mild stick to start with and it comes in the "nugget" size if you are looking for something you can finish quickly.
  • Thank ya gentlemen..
    At the moment I spend 50 bucks a week on cigarettes. So a few sticks a day, in that price range per week would work for me.
    A friend of mine suggested trying Primeros for an every day smoker, and for the price, I'm going to try those, so I think I'm going to grab the sampler and see if I like any of those and go from there.
    Also some of the above suggested smokes. I'd like to save the $5 and above smokes for kicking back end of the day and weekends. When I can really enjoy them more.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    urbino:

Man of wisdom, The first cigar I ever smoked was the Montesino, Great cigar and value, One of my continual favorites is the 5 Vegas Classic, Smoked so many Sherpas, Gurkha should send me a thank you note. And my additions would be Nording by Rocky Patel, and Bauza (Robusto) which is the best example for me, this is another Fuentes offering. Welcome Simon.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    WELCOME Simon. Long list of good suggestions here. I may add Sol Cubano Series B tasty and cheap, and also Padilla Achilles, under $4 a stick, mild and flavorful.

Stick around, you will keep finding interesting sticks to try and once you're into the games you can trade for an even larger selection of offerings. Again WELCOME Simon.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    laker1963:
    WELCOME Simon. Long list of good suggestions here. I may add Sol Cubano Series B tasty and cheap, and also Padilla Achilles, under $4 a stick, mild and flavorful.

Stick around, you will keep finding interesting sticks to try and once your into the games you can trade for an even larger selection of offerings. Again WELCOME Simon.

Welcome. I suggest perusing the daily deals here or just give Ccom a call. Ask for some of the cigars above and also add som Nubs.