Home Non Cigar Related

RIP John Prine

avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my favorite songwriters and an American legend passed away yesterday. This morning it was released that it was complications from covid-19.

Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

:(

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll admit that John Prine was never on my radar but plenty of folks I know (who have great taste in music) have spoken of him as a national treasure. Sad to see him go, but looking forward to enjoying his recorded legacy.

• GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

🙁

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • TBonzTBonz Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen John play several times and am sad to hear of his passing. He was definitely a talented writer and performer. Way back in the early 80s I helped out a local band and they did lots of his songs. We've enjoyed listening to his music since.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw him once at the Strawberry Music Festival outside Yosemite. Great songwriter / story teller. He'll be missed.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

The John Prine song Angle from Montgomery was always a staple to close out the Strawberry Music Festival. Sarah Elizabeth Campbell (RIP) always sung it so beautifully. Skip ahead to the 3 minute mark for the song.

https://youtu.be/02qWNNys15k?t=145

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw John and his buddy Steve Goodman several times in the late 60s early 70s. He wrote some of the most tender as well as humorous songs. He will be missed R.I.P John. One of his more humorous songs.
    https://youtu.be/P8tTwXv4glY

You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Tribute to John Prine. Available for a limited time.

https://youtu.be/jv05dPfmx40

Post edited by CharlieHeis on
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not know that we lost him. Thanks for the tunes RIP

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the headsup @CharlieHeis

Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

@avengethis said:
    Thanks for the headsup @CharlieHeis

Sure thing. It was good. I'd rather watch John's videos on YouTube than listen to others playing his songs but there was some cool video of John in between so it was worth watching.