Home Pipes

Making Flake - Home Press Tool

BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

I took my Balkan recipe to the next level by making a press tool so I can create a flake.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've thought about doing this over the years.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

I made a wooden box for pressing flake. Let it sit for a few days, opened it and it was covered with mold. I contacted Craig Tarler at C&D (this was back in 2008 I think) and asked him what they did to prevent the same thing happening. He mentioned a mold-preventing chemical that they used. He sent me a tin of it. Though I never used it I wish I had written down the name of the chemical and the dose; I'd send you some if I had kept the information.

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pipe smokers den has a thread on the subject. There are some great posts from Ernie at watch city cigars on blending and infusing.

edited May 2022

I tasted my Va/Bur/Per a bit ago and didn't get much perique so I reblended the half that hadn't been pressed by doubling down on the perique. I'm rehydrating the tobacco before I heat it up in the microwave for about 30 seconds and put it in the press for round two. I'm also rehydrating the Macedonian Prelip leaf pieces while I've got the blending tobaccos out and I'm thinking about it. I rehydrate tobacco by putting it in a bowl and covering it with a wrung out (so it doesn't drip) paper towel or two, doing a few cycles with redampening the towels until I feel that it's done.

edited May 2022

Pressing matters called me to the workbench this morning.

The ~30 grams of tobacco bend has been rehydrated and microwaved for 20 seconds and is being fed into a warmed up press, pressed and filled several times to maximize the size of the plug. I'm not sure that I can fit it all in this morning.

I got all that tobacco to fit in the press after may iterations of pressing and heating, I didn't think it would all fit.

edited May 2022

Pulled out the plug after 6 days in the press, heating and tightening each day. The plug was hard to remove again and when I cut off a flake the edge crumbled, I think because heating the press dried out the edges. Smoking now in my AKB Dublin Lattice Meer, the plug will go to rest for a while before trying again. This is the second iteration of this blend where I doubled down on the perique to give it some spice. I'm getting a pleasant tingle in the nose from this. The added perique really improved this blend.

• StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Made a plug from C&D Red Carpet. Gonna attempt something with blending tobacco next.

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?

Nice, I've been thinking about getting flakey now that I'm back from The Excellent Herf. Do you want to split some whole leaf perique? I'm not sure that the Sutliff TS-20 is cutting it for me in my blends.

• StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure! I only have a small amout of C&D long cut perique right now. Do you need some blackend burley? Think I got the last bag of YANA-2 from Ken. Somewhere around here I have some PS Toasted Burley as well.

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?