Home General Discussion

Davidoffs

zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭

Never had Davidoff cigars, and was curious what you guys think of them?  I see they are pretty expensive compared to others, why?  Any recommendations and what to expect from them?

Thanks fellas

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    davidoff cigars are not for everyone.

the reason for this is twofold:
    1) they are usually medium in body.
    2) the flavors are subtle.

lets tackle this one at a time though.

1) when people are new to cigars, they usually go for the more lighter bodied cigars. the outside third factor is, when someone is new to cigars, they dont want to break the bank on them. they would hate to spend a small fortune on them and end up not liking them. at this point in their smoking career spending the money on a Davidoff doesnt seem like a wise idea even though they are more mild.

2) the more experienced smoker tends to go for a more full bodied full flavor in a cigar. they have tested the waters. they know what they can handle. Full body brands like LFD and Camacho are their cigar of choice. a Davidoff, with its subtle flavors, is not the amount of flavor they are looking for.

what do i think of them?
    i have not smoked a Davidoff product i did not like. Henke Kelner (the famed blender for Davidoff) tends to like a medium smoke with subtle complex flavors. there is always a ton of stuff going on in a Davidoff. I like to smoke Davidoff products with a fresh palate and only while drinking water. other flavors tend to overpower the cigar and cover up some of the nuances of a truly complex cigar.

why are they so expensive?
    Davidoff controls the production from the seed to the sale. they dont buy tobacco from other farmers. they have their own because their standards are so incredibly high. these unmatched industry standards are part of what make Davidoff so expensive. is it worth it?
    if you like mild-medium cigars then it is worth it. every puff will be complex and delicious.
  • kuzi what is the deal with the griffins? They come from the same factory right? what do you know about them?
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭

kuzi.

thanks a million for all that info!! much appreciated

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Hey, kuz, which ones have you found age the best/worst?
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Damn Kuzi. I guess you answered the question. Just got mine (Millenium) today. Gonna wait a couple of years though before I find out.
    dubiousmonk:
    kuzi what is the deal with the griffins? They come from the same factory right? what do you know about them?
    dunno....
    ive only had Davidoff thousand series, Avo domaine, Avo Maduro, Avo OX, Avo, and Winston Churchill.
    urbino:
    Hey, kuz, which ones have you found age the best/worst?
    the only one with age that ive had is the Avo domaine. they age well.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    zino is by davidoff? anyone try these?
    i have one in my humi. never smoked one. i hear they are VERY mild
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    kuzi16:
    i have one in my humi. never smoked one. i hear they are VERY mild

Thanks Kuzi, anyone confirm?
    Aye. I've smoked one of their Platinum Scepter perfectos. It was pretty underwhelming.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    urbino:
    Aye. I've smoked one of their Platinum Scepter perfectos. It was pretty underwhelming.
    I've come to appreciate the perfecto size of the Platinum Scepter line. Still don't think it's a great smoke, but it has some qualities that I really like...it took smoking 3-4 of them and they started to grow on me.
    Interesting. My review is somewhere around here. As I recall, I didn't hate it. It just didn't seem like there was much there, there.
    There it is. Just as I remembered.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I've had the same experience with the Zino Platinum. It had good flavor, just not enough of it. The Zino Classic was very underwhelming. Mild body and flavor and one of the more boring cigars I've had. The only Davidoff I've had was the Aniversario no. 3. Tons of flavor and a great smoke. That was a couple years ago so I don't remember too much about it other than I wasn't disappointed.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I've had a davidoff millenium...loved it...i would definitely have put it at a medium, but no problem with that. Definitely not mild. It had some great flavor nuances.