Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

Help ... I’m outdated

madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

So I’ve been poking around the last couple days, joined the vherf last night. I’m having fun.

But reading and listening I realized just how outdated my go to cigars list is and I don’t even have a must try list.

So a contest is born. I want 5 potential go-to cigars and 5 to make a must try list.

Background. My current go to’s include the Davidoff Nicaragua, AJ’s Last Call and the illusione Rothschild. I’m not actually that big of a Maduro fan, I’m all over the map honestly but I do love a good Cameroon. The point here is to try new stuff so suggesting classic cigars won’t likely help.

Here are the requirements for the cigars.

Go To cigars must come in a ring gauge 50 or less. Preferably, a corona, Rothschild, short robusto or similar. It must be easy to find and a consistent smoke.

Must try list, no hard rules except I must actually be able to buy it somewhere. It’s highly unlikely, though not completely out of the realm of possibility, I’ll smoke anything with a ring gauge higher than 54 so keep that in mind.

Now for the contest. 10 names will be put in the drawing and I’ll draw one and you’ll also get a matching set of the 10 smokes chosen. Ultimately I’m going to choose the 10 sticks from the suggestions in this thread but likes and agreement with sticks will influence the choice.
Now how do the 10 names get chosen you ask? Well, Start by posting a suggestion, tell us if it is a go to candidate or a must try. Limit yourself to one cigar per post so I know what cigar any likes are referring to. Also, limit yourself to one suggestion for each category per day, to spread the love around. Make as many suggestions as you’d like but only the first person to suggest the cigar gets credit.
It’ll close when I have a list I like 😬. Go.

Comments

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to jump in but we are rowing the same boat.

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Actually.... no need to add my name but I really like the undercrown maduro.... newer to me

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Easily affordable "go-to" might be AJ's New World Cameroon. I like the torpedo, because I don't much care for over 50 rg. The wrappers are fragile, so, take care.

Another go-to might be the Rose of Sharon, nice cigar.

Something in-between would be Crowned Heads Jericho Hill, nice maduro.

I'm sure these guys will fill you in on the higher end blends, I tend to stick to traditional Fuente's or Davidoff if I'm spending that much money.

Speaking of Davidoff, if you haven't tried The Late Hour, I like that a lot.

Other high-end offerings might be Velvet Rat and/or Ratzilla, I can't remember how long those have been around.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Jericho Hill

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

The Late Hour

Velvet Rat

Ratzilla

I also recently bought some Belles Artes, also by AJ, and I'm liking them pretty well right off the truck, I think they'll only improve with a little rest

^^^hope you find something there.

Damn, still didn't quite follow the rules, but that's all I'll say about it.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

must try Atabey Divinos (Rothschilde)

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

go to: Flatbed Cigar Co. Panacea Azul - Cameroon Robusto

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

A good go-to might be LGC collection reserve. Easy to find and a good smoke.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

@rsherman24 said:
    Great contest for a rainy morning. Anyone have his addy, I can get you started

Go To
    1. Mi Querada (core line or Triqui Traca is a little stronger)
    2. Black Label Bishops Blend
    3. Black Works Killer Bee
    4. Illusione Epernay
    5. Tat Black corona gorda

Must Try
    1. Wunderlust
    2. La Palina Pasha
    3. Muestra de Saka Nacatamale or Unstolen Valor
    4. Tatuaje Anarchy Kaos
    5. Illusione 10th anniversary

Alright I like it but pick which one is for the contest today. One per post please :)

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    Easily affordable "go-to" might be AJ's New World Cameroon. I like the torpedo, because I don't much care for over 50 rg. The wrappers are fragile, so, take care.

I'm sure these guys will fill you in on the higher end blends, I tend to stick to traditional Fuente's or Davidoff if I'm spending that much money.

Other high-end offerings might be Velvet Rat and/or Ratzilla, I can't remember how long those have been around.

Thanks Amos. Which one do you want entered into the contest? Hint I’ve had the new world and Late Hour, though thanks for the reminder I need more.

@Usaf06 said:
    Ok, so I read your title as " help, I need to try new cigars". Because I didnt read your long story, (my fault, not yours. Short attention span) send me your address and I'll get you some stuff to try.

I know you guys are more than happy to just bomb the hell out of anyone lol. But let me get there. No one has my new address and no one is getting it soon. Don’t try my old addy’s the forwards have expired 😬

Hey just because I know you guys are a bunch of giving souls. New option. Enter the contest, if you win you can choose the target or keep yourself I won’t judge either way.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Aladino camaroon is a must try. The skinny ring gauge(6x46 I think) is the best one because you get a good bit of that classic JRE Criollo that comes through. Good Honduran kick in the first five minutes too.

Go to is the mi querida triqui traca. It's just the best cigar ever made. 6x48 is money.

Don't look ↑

@madurofan said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

Thanks Amos. Which one do you want entered into the contest? Hint I’ve had the new world and Late Hour, though thanks for the reminder I need more.

I'd say give the Rose of Sharon a try. I've only had the Perfecto, which I liked quite well. Much as I love all the others I mentioned, it's different.

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Must try
    la hacienda by warped
    Maestro Del tiempo by warped
    Tennessee waltz
    Killer bee
    Anastasia

Go to
    The tabernacle
    Bishops blend
    Whiskey rebellion
    Deliverance
    Boondocks saints

• BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not expensive, not flashy or elegant. It's just a damn great cigar at a fantastic price. It only comes in one vitola, perfecto. I keep at least 50 on hand and they are smooth and perform the whole way through from start to finish.
    Henry Clay Limited Edition 2018

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

ROMEO San Andreas in toro. Killer stick!

• EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

padron 64 , Hermoso in natural , for the love of god ... I know that’s not boutique-y enough but it will hit the spot

But other than that ... everything these guys are smoking