Home Cigar 101

perfecto

I am having trouble smoking perfecto cigars.  Everything I have ever read says to not cut the foot, but the draw is always so tight that I have a lot of trouble getting/keeping the cigar lit.  RH is fine, no problems with other smokes.  Any advice?  thanks.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Just cut the foot. Don't believe everything you read about cigars, there are a lot of people who will lead you wrong.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Bingo. The thing they left out of those instructions was, "If the cigar was perfectly constructed and you're having no problems with the draw . . . don't cut the foot." If the draw ain't right (and if you can't keep it lit, it ain't), cut it.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep. It's your cigar. Do what you want!
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Funny thing about the people who write the articles....... they don't pay for your smokes. Whatever you need to do to enjoy your money's worth..... do it.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    I really like Perfectos. They're some of the most flavorful smokes I've had. I personally never have had to cut the foot but I know of guys who have. Usually if the draw is tight, it's at the very beginning but, usually self corrects almost immediately. If I were to continue to have an issue, I have given it another small cut right next to my first one. But, I haven't had to do that very many times. Try one of the Gurkha Perfectos. They smoke very well. My $.02
    KCW:
    Try one of the Gurkha Perfectos. They smoke very well. My $.02
    Not to say you're wrong here, but to add my experience..I've found Gurkha perfectos to be very hit or miss as far as the construction and how well they smoke. I smoked one Centurian that was great, 2 hours of bliss...had another from the same order and the wrapper blew up and the cigar burned hot. They seem to have quality control problems, which is too bad because the Centurian is a helluva cigar.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I've found Gurkha perfectos to be very hit or miss as far as the construction and how well they smoke. I smoked one Centurian that was great, 2 hours of bliss...had another from the same order and the wrapper blew up and the cigar burned hot. They seem to have quality control problems, which is too bad because the Centurian is a helluva cigar.
    Agreed on all accounts.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Hays:
    j0z3r:
    I've found Gurkha perfectos to be very hit or miss as far as the construction and how well they smoke. I smoked one Centurian that was great, 2 hours of bliss...had another from the same order and the wrapper blew up and the cigar burned hot. They seem to have quality control problems, which is too bad because the Centurian is a helluva cigar.
    Agreed on all accounts.
    Oh fantastic! I've got about 20!!!
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    KCW:
    Hays:
    j0z3r:
    Agreed on all accounts.

Well than you should have about 5 great sticks there!
    Goldy:
    KCW:
    Hays:
    j0z3r:
    Agreed on all accounts.

Well than you should have about 5 great sticks there!
    Maybe as many as ten. :)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    perfectos are difficult to roll. just because the best rollers roll them does not mean that they will not make mistakes.

i have had many burn issues with perfectos and many draw issues with them as well. However, this shape is still my favorite cigar shape, especially when they are very extream in their shape like the preferidos or the gurkha perfectos. the inherent complexity makes it all worth while.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    KCW:
    Hays:
    j0z3r:
    Agreed on all accounts.
    Hey KCW, just pick out the ten you THINK are bad, and send them to me. I'll let you know if they're okay.........
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    I had the Oliva G maduro in the prefecto size today. I just lit it right up and it burned great the entire way. I was expecting to have a bunch of problems, as I have with most perfectos in the past, but it burned flawlessly. Great smokes those Oliva G's are, by the way...
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    lilwing88:
    Funny thing about the people who write the articles....... they don't pay for your smokes. Whatever you need to do to enjoy your money's worth..... do it.

these guys usually dont pay for any smokes
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Fourtotheflush:
    lilwing88:

these guys usually dont pay for any smokes
    Which is precisely why this is the career I wouldn't mind having.... ;-)
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    i went on a perfecto buying spree recently - i have some hemingway shorts, centurians, and vegas relics on the way - one question i do have though - i have read that it is worthwhile to dry box the relic a day or two before smoking it - any recommendations in regards to this?