Home Cigar 101

Just another New Guy ...

Hello all,  I've been reading the forums for a month or so since I found them and thought I'd ask the great minds for a suggestion.  I've never been a smoker, can't stand cigarettes, never even smoked (while sober ...).  I've smoked a cigar here and there for the last 6 years, or at least what I considered a cigar at the time.  I was debating mentioning this, but i started out with the swisher sweet wood tips, finally moved on to other varieties of flavored type cigars.  I really like all the DE Cigars i've tried, but an looking to move into a REAL cigar.  I'm sure it would have to be something mild and was hoping to get a suggestion or two.  My wife bought me a small humidor for X-mas and i recently filled it with a Gurkha sampler ... I've had 3 of them and haven't liked any of them so far.  Any suggestions would be great.  Thanks and let the New Guy Hazing begin ...

Comments

• Well, I haven't been smoking all that long, but if you're looking for something mild and affordable, both 5 Vegas Gold and the CCOM house brand 'Purple Label' seem to be popular choices. I don't smoke mild very often, but I have liked both of those when in the mood for one.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    If you like flavored smokes, be sure to check out the ACID line. As for milds, in addition to the ones already recommended, I'd say look into Nub Connecticut, Oliva Series O, Gurkha c-10, Gurkha Park Avenue, Perdomo 10th Anniversary champagne, Verdadero Organic - the list goes on. For the most part, anything with a Connecticut wrapper is gonna be mild (a few exceptions here and there, but reading the cigar descriptions will notify you of that).
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    JBryant:
    I really like all the DE Cigars i've tried, but an looking to move into a REAL cigar
    Just want to say that Drew Estates cigars are real in every sense of the word. They use long filler tobacco and the cigars are held to very high standards when manufactured. They may be infused, but they are definitely cigars. I'm not a fan of their infused cigars, but I know they make a good product.

Along those lines, a mild cigar I'd recommend is the Chateau Real from Drew Estates, mild but with a very nice, smooth flavor. Cusano 18 Connecticut is a good mild-medium strength cigar as well, very creamy. One I always recommend is the Perdomo ESV '91 Connecticut, it is my favorite Conn wrapped cigar. Lots of choices out there, so stick around and see what the rest of the guys have to say.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    The Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real is a mild-medium smoke I like a lot. I'm sure my buddy, kas, will be along in a minute to recommend the Montesino and Bauza cigars, so I'll beat him to it.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    The Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real is a mild-medium smoke I like a lot. I'm sure my buddy, kas, will be along in a minute to recommend the Montesino and Bauza cigars, so I'll beat him to it.
    Hey Urbi, you took the words right out of my fingers, and of course the often mentioned 5 Vegas Classic.
  • Wow, lots of options here.  I think I'll definitely try the Chateau Real since I've liked every other Drew Estates smoke.  I recently purchased 2 of the Kuba Kuba daily deals, so probably won't buy any of the others for a few weeks.  I've seen alot of folks speak about 5 Vegas, I have had the 5 Vegas Miami, it's not one I'll go out of my way to have again, but was a nice smoke while grilled Brauts in the snow.
  • Welcome JBryant. I've been smoking for about six months and enjoy mild to medium, I've found I really like Rocky Patel Connecticut, Flor D Oliva, Gurkha Park Ave, and Oliva "G" Series, Flor Del Todo and just smoked a Resposado 96 today which I really enjoyed.
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    You could always put the gurkha sticks up for trade and I'm sure one of the guys here would set you up with a nice sampler of their own.
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    i gotta agree with the ccom purple label and the cuasno 18 conecticuts.. very rich, creamy mild- medium smokes. I would also try the repasado 96 and the ccom cameroon label. If you liked the flavors of DE the cameroon label has a nice cocoa taste to it that you might like
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Well there's already been so many good recommendations here, I don't have anything to add without sounding redundant. So, just want to welcome you to the forum! Good group of guys here, and I hope you stick around.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • illinoisgolf99:
    i gotta agree with the ccom purple label and the cuasno 18 conecticuts.. very rich, creamy mild- medium smokes. I would also try the repasado 96 and the ccom cameroon label. If you liked the flavors of DE the cameroon label has a nice cocoa taste to it that you might like
    That's an interesting take to me, and more proof of how subjective this hobby is. I don't consider the CCOM cameroon 'cocoa-ee' at all. Not disputing your take at all, just marveling at how distinct all of our tastebuds are. The CCOM Cameroon tastes very 'earthy' to me. Happy Smokes my friend!
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    yea its pretty incredible how different sticks can taste to different people!
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Welcome to the forums. Any of the suggestions above should get yu started. Just don't expect to stay satisfied with just these few to try.

Within a month or two you will be asking for suggestions for some new sticks to try. We have all been there at one time or another.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Welcome to the group
  • JBryantJBryant Posts: 3
    I see you're from my hometown ... Jax, Fla ... was just there last August on vacation visiting family.  Grew up a military brat, so when turned 18, i joined as well.  I voluntered to go anywhere in the world ... they stationed me in Panama City Beach for 3 years, took a tour to Korea for a year just to get out of Fla and then they sent me right back to Panama City Beach for another 3 years.  Ever since I finally left Fla in 2003, I try not to go back much.  I'd rather be in the mountains here in Tennessee!!