Home Cigar 101

Nub with a Toothy Wrapper, but what’s in my ash?

BullSquatchBullSquatch Posts: 562 ✭✭✭✭✭

What’s those white bubbles?

"Some people meditate, I smoke cigars." - Ron Perlman
"...I intend to go home tonight and smoke a cigar to the glory of God." - Charles Spurgeon
Two Time Cigar Lottery Winner

Comments

• TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frank's Feathers, @VegasFrank

I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks too big to be tobacco seeds or beetle eggs. Hmm, you didn't use this cigar to roll a blunt, did you? :D

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    edited August 2020

A quick web search says that the most probable cause is magnesium from the soil and several sites indicate that this is correlated to cigars with toothy wrappers. Here's one result that would benefit from a picture.

http://www.cigarinspector.com/cigars-101/what-are-the-little-white-dots-on-my-cigars-ash/

Most of these results seem to be talking about very small dots on the outside of the ash the size of a pin head, though.

@kuzi16, @Trident, do you recognize this?

@TheCigarChick might also know more.

Thanks, Lindsay!

• ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TheCigarChick said:
    I first got really excited as sometimes Quai D'Orsay are just magnificent, and then I scrolled up to realize there was an actual question about tobacco. :D

Since those white "bubbles" are on the interior of your NUB, it's not entirely the wrapper tobacco, although it certainly contributes to the occurrence. So those are actually little pockets of oil that have burned... From the photo it looks like you were smoking a NUB Maduro, so you're dealing with Nicaraguan insides and a Brazilian wrapper, and Brazilian cigar tobacco is quite toothy.

Some will confuse the white dots for mold, but you'd taste it immediately if that was cigar fungus.

And I was going to say burnt plume for the win......

• BullSquatchBullSquatch Posts: 562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah. Damn dude! Good stuff there! Thanks for the info! Cigar Scientist!

"Some people meditate, I smoke cigars." - Ron Perlman
    "...I intend to go home tonight and smoke a cigar to the glory of God." - Charles Spurgeon
    Two Time Cigar Lottery Winner