Home Cigar 101

to rotate, or not to rotate

letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
Hey everyone. I have smoked cigars for about 8 years, but up until january, I was a buy as I smoke kind of guy. I have a "treasure dome" humidor (300 count) and a cigar oasis xl plus for humidity. with my setup I have the oasis in the bottom, and my humidity is about 67 on the bottom, and 69 on the top of the humidor. My humidor is quickly becoming full which I attribute to DDS (daily deal syndrome). My question is what are the proper storage techniques for cigars in the humidor. Should I be rotating my sticks around so that the bottom sticks go to the middle, and the top of their respective stacks, or is the humidity in the humidor enough to let them set for a long time. If I am supposed to rotate them, at what interval do I do this? I would really appreciate some feedback on this. As always I really appreciate all the help your posts and wisdom have given me

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I don't rotate my cigars and none have disintegrated on me yet. Basically it's a judgment call on your part. Do you want to keep the older cigars on top and the fresher ones on bottom? Then rotate as such. If you a) don't care or b) don't have trouble keeping tabs, then let 'em lay and don't bother them. I'm sure someone (kuzi) will make a case for rotation, but if you ask my opinion I'd tell you it really doesn't matter one way or the other so do what you like.

And for a little smart-ass humor....
    My question is what are the proper storage techniques for cigars in the humidor.
    The cigars go in the humidor and the lid closes, that's the proper storage technique. Big Smile [:D]
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I try to movethem as little as possible
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a smoking humidor and one for what I call "aging". In the aging one, I tend to rotate the cigars from top to bottom every few months or so. In the smoking one, just rooting around to find what I'm going to smoke that day moves them around enough.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Do you want to keep the older cigars on top and the fresher ones on bottom? Then rotate as such.
    thats exactly what i do right there.
    j0z3r:
    I'm sure someone (kuzi) will make a case for rotation, but if you ask my opinion I'd tell you it really doesn't matter one way or the other so do what you like.
    nah. i only do it cos it makes me feel good. your advice was solid.
    j0z3r:
    My question is what are the proper storage techniques for cigars in the humidor.
    The cigars go in the humidor and the lid closes, that's the proper storage technique. Big Smile [:D]
    forgot to add water.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    Do you want to keep the older cigars on top and the fresher ones on bottom? Then rotate as such.
    j0z3r:
    I'm sure someone (kuzi) will make a case for rotation, but if you ask my opinion I'd tell you it really doesn't matter one way or the other so do what you like.
    j0z3r:
    forgot to add water.

Ok so what you should do is give each cigar a 1/4 turn every 12 hours so every 2 days it makes a full rotation. Thus the oils will blend perfectly within the cigar making a perfect smoking experience......

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    forgot to add water.
    Ha! When you're right you're right. For proper cigar storage, just add water. Sounds like an ad-line for an infomercial.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Fourtotheflush:
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    j0z3r:
    j0z3r:
    forgot to add water.

Ok so what you should do is give each cigar a 1/4 turn every 12 hours so every 2 days it makes a full rotation. Thus the oils will blend perfectly within the cigar making a perfect smoking experience......

That's exactly right four. However you forgot to also add that you should flip your stick in the numi end over end so that the oils don't all run down one end. (in case your humi is not sitting level). ;)
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I like to keep each one of my cigars in it's own seperate plastic bag filled with charged humidity beads to ensure that each one gets it's own assurance of 70% humidiity!
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    clearlysuspect:
    I like to keep each one of my cigars in it's own seperate plastic bag filled with charged humidity beads to ensure that each one gets it's own assurance of 70% humidiity!
    Don't forget that each cigar needs at least a pound of beads, possible its own cigar oasis
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    Fourtotheflush:
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    j0z3r:
    j0z3r:
    forgot to add water.

That's exactly right four. However you forgot to also add that you should flip your stick in the numi end over end so that the oils don't all run down one end. (in case your humi is not sitting level). ;)
    Have a leveling issue up there do ya? lol..
  • shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    what is all of this talk about a so called "humidor"?
  • I keep all[556] of my cigars in separate humis. I use the foam humidifier and analog hygrometer that come with them. I have the daily deal and five new humis on the way. I hope this helps!
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Fourtotheflush:

Clockwise or anti-clockwise? Or does it depend on what hemisphere you're in?
  • docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    Simple solution- if you buy 5 send me 5, if you buy 10, send me 10... I'll take the hit and smoke your unrotated cigars and you can smoke the fresh ones. But seriously, I have the same humidor but use the Oasis XL. If my stock is low and I get more I'll move the old to the top but otherwise I don't bother. My reasons for not rotating regularly. 1. Don't think its necessary. 2. If you continuously roate them they'll probably get damaged. 3. The refill cartridges aren't very expnesive but the more your humi is opened the more often you will have to replace it. 4. You may be moving 30, 40, or more at a time which means the humidity is going to dip and not be at the proper level for an extended period of time. And for good measure, send a few my way for the info.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    My rotation plan consists of me stirring around in there looking for the perfect stick each day.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    It's also good to shake some chicken blood in a circle around your humi, every new moon. It doesn't do the cigars any good, but it reminds the chickens who's boss.
    But the question remains, do you shake the blood clockwise or counter-clockwise?
    Depends on whether your chickens can tell time or not.
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    YankeeMan:
    But the question remains, do you shake the blood clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Depends on which hemisphere you are in.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    So if I understand all of this correctly, I am supposed to place each cigar in a separate plastic bag with some chicken blood in it. Then I am supposed to submerge each one in my humidor full of water. This is where it gets confusing for me...am I supposed to have the oasis rotate the water clockwise or counterclockwise. I am above the equator if this helps. Well I'll just go with the same way the toilet flushes, counterclockwise. Thanks everyone, had a good laugh reading all the posts.
    letsgowithbob:
    So if I understand all of this correctly, I am supposed to place each cigar in a separate plastic bag with some chicken blood in it. Then I am supposed to submerge each one in my humidor full of water. This is where it gets confusing for me...am I supposed to have the oasis rotate the water clockwise or counterclockwise. I am above the equator if this helps. Well I'll just go with the same way the toilet flushes, counterclockwise. Thanks everyone, had a good laugh reading all the posts.
    It just proves my point... You don't have to be crazy to post here, but it sure helps!
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    All that turning is a lot of work..but sounds good..deal 4 U...send them to me I will turn, rotate and evaluate how they smoke and send you a written report of the results....
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Funny stuff here. I was "rotating" my sticks today and thought of this thread. Found some real gems in the bottom of the humi.
    I guess I like Maduro cigars best? lol

Nice looking family, cam.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    For me, I dont rotate. I am a set and forget kind of guy. I am sure the rotating would help, but I find doing it forces you to handle your cigars more and that is the biggest negative factory I have found in cigar storage. Handling your cigars too much upsets them.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Cam, you like Vintage RP much? haha. They're great smokes, just noticed you had a whole bunch of em.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    cholmes8310:
    Cam, you like Vintage RP much? haha. They're great smokes, just noticed you had a whole bunch of em.
    Yeah, I got a bunch of 'em don't I? Those and the Cubans are my weak spots.

I do agree with the hadling issue of rotating. I have accidentally dropped a stick or 2 over time, but it's a risk I take. If I didn't rotate them once in a while, I'd end up never smoking some of them and that would be a shame.

• TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    leemarshall337:
    I keep all[556] of my cigars in separate humis. I use the foam humidifier and analog hygrometer that come with them. I have the daily deal and five new humis on the way. I hope this helps!

xmacro:
    clearlysuspect:
    Don't forget that each cigar needs at least a pound of beads, possible its own cigar oasis
    This thread has sincerely made me laugh hysterically so many times. Whoever said sarcasm is the lowest form of humor needs to lighten up.