Home Ratings & Reviews

LFD Carajos Oscuro - little cigar

TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
While down in Ohio this weekend at Kuzi's local B&M, I picked up a six pack of these little cigars. They were dirt cheap at $16 for a tiny 6-pack box. I smoked one on the drive home back to Michigan, Sandman1 (Tony) was in the car with me and he smoked one as well. Our experience was very similar, so you can mark that up to group think or consistency. :)

Size is 4"x34. Wrapper is really dark and oily. Smelled great out of the box, similar to the LFD Double Ligero Maduro. Tasted nothing like it, lol, but that's coming later. Cut it, pre-light draw was firm enough to give some resistance, but not too much.

First five or ten minutes was a heavy, earthy flavor with a good solid hit of spice through the nose. Coffee and chocolate were present throughout the entire cigar, but weren't the most noticeable flavor during the smoke. Really powerful flavor for such a tiny cigar. The next 30 minutes brought on a very different flavor that was either very prominent or in the background during this time. I thought it was very much like vanilla, Tony described it as the steamed milk from a Latte' with a sprinkle of cinnamon. I agreed with him, but I still caught some vanilla notes. With the dark wrapper, I did not expect such a sweet and wonderful experience. The last 15 minutes brought back the spice, the steamed milk/vanilla flavor was still there, but much less prominent.

Burn time was 55 minutes or so, but I tend to smoke slowly. My overall experience? Fantastic. The flavor was wonderful, tons of good smoke output, and the construction was good as well. This should be the little cigar that all little cigars are measured against. I've had the Cabiguan and a Tatuaje - they were great, but nothing as good as this one was. I look forward to smoking the other 5 from this pack and buying a lot more.

Comments

• sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Great review, Tat, this makes me want to go hunt some down. I've been looking for some petite smokes for the days when I can't find 1+ hours to set aside for a cigar.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    LFD seems like they are making some pretty popular stuff. I hope this doesn't affect the price point. I can get a LFD DL 660 at my B&M for 6.75. I would hate to see the price go up due to positive press.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i have still yet to smoke mine. i put a date on the box and thew the entire thing in the aging humidor. i have one thats in the smoking humidor also. ill smoke it soon. i cant wait.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    These are nice little smokes, I picked up a box and it has been sitting in the cooler for some months now, I've only smoked one so far, might have to light up another here soon.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    LFD seems like they are making some pretty popular stuff. I hope this doesn't affect the price point. I can get a LFD DL 660 at my B&M for 6.75. I would hate to see the price go up due to positive press.
    when it hits the top 3 on CA cigar list it may....
    nice review btw.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    My local B&M has them, I think i'll pop in and get some based on this review. The LFD rep was in there the other day and gave me some freebies. I'm becoming a big LFD fan.
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    I checked all four of my local b&ms and none of them have em. Anyone wanna trade for a box of six? Been wanting to try some different small sticks like this. Tommorrow I think I'll try a RP vintage jr. that crusader sent me! Great review tat!!
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Alex Williams:
    I checked all four of my local b&ms and none of them have em. Anyone wanna trade for a box of six? Been wanting to try some different small sticks like this. Tommorrow I think I'll try a RP vintage jr. that crusader sent me! Great review tat!!
    I've got ten or so B&Ms in my area, I've been calling around and can't find any. :( I know I'm going to go through these far too quickly, lol.
    TatuajeVI:
    Alex Williams:
    I've got ten or so B&Ms in my area, I've been calling around and can't find any. :( I know I'm going to go through these far too quickly, lol.
    Damn, I have a feeling that I will have to work to get to try these! Anyone know of any other good "little" cigars I could try??
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Cabiguan makes one: http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=678
    I know CAO has a bunch of different blends, they call them "cigarillos" as I remember. Nope, lol. They call them "Picollo." Here's a link to the Italia blend, they have them in that line, not sure what others: http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=359

Poking through the different CAO lines, they seem to call them different things. Weirdos. The MX2 looks delicious, and is called a "dagger" which is totally sweet.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    As far as little cigars go, I'd like to try some of the ones Davidoff makes. I like the Davidoff blending style, at least as far as having smoked some from the Avo and Zino lines, and would be interested to see how it comes through in a cigarillo sized smoke.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Hey Tat, you have a PM.
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    I knew I was forgetting to get something before I left there. I picked up the Opus and forgot to grab a pack of them. I hope I can find them somewhere around me or I might have to make another trip down there.
    Dustin1981:
    I knew I was forgetting to get something before I left there. I picked up the Opus and forgot to grab a pack of them. I hope I can find them somewhere around me or I might have to make another trip down there.
    ill try and get in soon and pick you up one. no promises.
    Bump. Great little cigar.
    dustin... that same B&M from the herf has them in again.
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    kuzi16:
    dustin... that same B&M from the herf has them in again.
    This figures. 2 days after my wifes car breaks down and I have to dump my cigar fund for a while they get them back in. If I had the cash I would ask you to pick one up for me but I will have to let you know at a later time if I can do it. Thanks for keeping me in mind.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Alex Williams:
    TatuajeVI:
    Alex Williams:
    Damn, I have a feeling that I will have to work to get to try these! Anyone know of any other good "little" cigars I could try??
    peppin firecrackers are interesting as are opus ****, and fuente's work of art maduros and between the lines.