Home Cigar 101

Herf-a-Dor for permanent storage.

LNKFixedLNKFixed Posts: 3

So I'm kind of new to the cigar world and don't smoke very often. So, possibly foolishly, I decided that a Herf-a-Dor X10 would probably be just about perfect without considering the possibility that it may not be the best option for permanent storage. I got the thing for $12 so if it's not gonna work it's not gonna work, but is it possible to use a Herf-a-Dor for long-term storage? I do have a Boveda one year bag so very little loss here if it's not gonna work out the way I expected.

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably will keep them smokeable. If you have a boveada in there and it seals, then no issue.

Honestly not that different than a tuppidor (buy a plastic bin, put boveda in, add cigars, repeat). I wouldnt worry. If you want to do some serious aging, then upgrade to something larger. If you just want properly humidified cigars in 2 months, I say your A OK.

LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, but don't use the built it humidification, use a small (8 gram) bovida.
    I'd guess you'll either stop smoking cigars or get something bigger. A plastic storage box with clamps to hold the lid on and a gasket in the lid.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• LNKFixedLNKFixed Posts: 3

@IndustMech said:
    I'd guess you'll either stop smoking cigars or get something bigger. A plastic storage box with clamps to hold the lid on and a gasket in the lid.

That's kind of what I'm thinking too, but for now I'm just not keeping that many around. Especially because I don't wanna be smoking in front of my ex-smoker dad. Is there actually a difference between the boveda packs designed for cigars and the ones designed for herbs?

By herbs do you mean weed?

As long as its a 65% or 69% rh.

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LNKFixed said:

@IndustMech said:

That's kind of what I'm thinking too, but for now I'm just not keeping that many around. Especially because I don't wanna be smoking in front of my ex-smoker dad. Is there actually a difference between the boveda packs designed for cigars and the ones designed for herbs?

I don't know about herbs, but for cigars I use 65%rh. Little higher or lower should also be fine.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

They have them for bud as well. Not into that life style but everyone has that friend.

edited August 2020

@Vision
    I certainly did. He is now a river raft guide w/ a physics degree and drummer in a funk bluegrass band.

• LNKFixedLNKFixed Posts: 3

@Gray4lines said:
    By herbs do you mean weed?

As long as its a 65% or 69% rh.

I've been sitting here trying to figure out if they're referring to weed or not. Sounds like by the post below that's the case. Not my style either but either way I guess my question is answered! hah.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

I use a 60 gram 65% Boveda bag in my 15 count Herfador, and I don't worry about them staying in there as long as it takes to get around to smoking them. The sticks I put in there to take along with me rarely make it back to my coolers before I smoke them.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boveda bag in the herfador is a good idea, without it I wouldn't trust the herfador for more than a week or two, depending on the ambient RH.

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used one for 2 weeks when I was in Greece a few years back and it did fine. I think for long term at home I would spend the couple bucks on a click lock style Tupperware container.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't look ↑
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree. That was from boveda

Don't look ↑
  • EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

65 is the way to go ... it will typically keep you just below like 62-64 and that’s pretty good for sticks.