Home Non Cigar Related
Options

whiskey

silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Changes in Tennessee Whiskey Odorants by the Lincoln County Process

Abstract
Abstract Image
Authentic freshly distilled Tennessee whiskey is filtered through maple charcoal in a processing step known as the Lincoln County Process (LCP). Changes in odorants resulting from the LCP were characterized by a comparative aroma extract dilution analysis (cAEDA), quantitated by stable isotope dilution assays (SIDA), and odor activity values (OAVs) were calculated. Sensory evaluation showed a decrease in malty, rancid, fatty, and roasty aroma attributes of the distillate after LCP treatment. Forty-nine odorants were identified, nine of which have not been previously reported in the whiskey distillate literature. Thirty-one odorants were quantitated, all showing a decrease in concentration as a result of LCP treatment. Odorants, including (2E,4E)-nona-2,4-dienal (fatty), 3-methylbutanoic acid (rancid), 2′-aminoacetophenone (foxy), and 2-acetyl-1-pyrroline (roasty), dropped below detection thresholds (OAV < 1) following LCP treatment. Concentrations of lipid-derived aldehydes, organic acids, and other odorants decreased between 13 and >99%. The present investigation lays the groundwork for future studies aimed at flavor optimization for Tennessee whiskey production.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/acs.jafc.0c03058

Comments

• Options
    EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like whiskey... but how do I know if the stinky whiskey you are talking about , is the kinda stinky whiskey I will like?

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Samples used in the study were provided by the Sugarlands Distilling Company (SDC), in Gatlinburg, Tennessee, producers of the Roaming Man Whiskey.

Buy some and try it?

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    Changes in Tennessee Whiskey Odorants by the Lincoln County Process

Abstract
    Abstract Image
    Authentic freshly distilled Tennessee whiskey is filtered through maple charcoal in a processing step known as the Lincoln County Process (LCP). Changes in odorants resulting from the LCP were characterized by a comparative aroma extract dilution analysis (cAEDA), quantitated by stable isotope dilution assays (SIDA), and odor activity values (OAVs) were calculated. Sensory evaluation showed a decrease in malty, rancid, fatty, and roasty aroma attributes of the distillate after LCP treatment. Forty-nine odorants were identified, nine of which have not been previously reported in the whiskey distillate literature. Thirty-one odorants were quantitated, all showing a decrease in concentration as a result of LCP treatment. Odorants, including (2E,4E)-nona-2,4-dienal (fatty), 3-methylbutanoic acid (rancid), 2′-aminoacetophenone (foxy), and 2-acetyl-1-pyrroline (roasty), dropped below detection thresholds (OAV < 1) following LCP treatment. Concentrations of lipid-derived aldehydes, organic acids, and other odorants decreased between 13 and >99%. The present investigation lays the groundwork for future studies aimed at flavor optimization for Tennessee whiskey production.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/acs.jafc.0c03058

You know, I adore a fifty cent word just as much s the next pedant. But some things just don't require that much Latin and Greek and acronyms and quantitating to suss out.

"Sensory evaluation" my arse... taste it.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

They must be trying to impress someone... but whom??

Certainly not me’m.... 😝😝

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way back when,..... I once took a tour of the Jack Daniels facility. I will not defend the Lincoln County Process except to say it smelled wonderful. Up on the second floor they opened up one of the big vats and told us we could have a sniff, but warned us it was potent. I took a big whiff. They know what they're doing, they want you to buy some downstairs. It was a dry county but JD had an exemption and the "gift shop" did a booming business. I was already a fan of Gentleman Jack, filtered twice through the "process". Maybe I need to revisit my old favorite.

P.S. This thread shoulda' been titled "Tennessee Whiskey".

P.P.S. Old George sang it pretty good but that new guy hit it out of the park.

https://youtu.be/Bh8d1y5fvtk

https://youtu.be/IBLruNfUqUs