Home Non Cigar Related

Forest Fires

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oregon, Washington and California are having a tough time right now.
We are even having forest fires on the coast. Not looking good at all.

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/2020/09/08/oregon-wildfire-map-track-fires-burning-across-northwest/5745405002/

In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think some major clear-cutting is in order in the nw. What ain't there can't burn.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:
    I think some major clear-cutting is in order in the nw. What ain't there can't burn.

The problem is the undergrowth.
    When vine maple, blackberries, ferns, grass and alder grow extremely fast here, it is fuel for fires.
    Normally, it wouldn't be a huge problem, because it is usually fairly wet, but this summer has been extremely dry and all that underbrush is dry.

Some of the areas where some fires started were clear cuts. The brush is where the fires started.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:

We are probably going to see a lot of smoke here.
    Right now, the north coast is smokey, but not terrible, if the wind shifts from the south, it will block out the sun, like the central coast of Oregon is now.

This is Depot Bay right now.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

The air quality is too poor to smoke and the smoke in the air gives everything a strange tint.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

How is a 46 ring considered "chunky"?

@jd50ae said:
    I am sorry for the animals, wildlife, birds etc that will be harmed and killed.
    But the whole state could go up in flames otherwise and I would not care. It could start with piglosi's gated and guarded mansion.

The animals are a big concern.
    The wildlife is driven into the open areas when the smoke reaches a certain concentration, which also means they tend to go toward the roads.
    Having deer, elk and bears close to the roads, isn't a good thing.

An added issue is that it was almost 90+ degrees here and water for wildlife and domestic animals is a concern.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jd50ae said:
    I am sorry for the animals, wildlife, birds etc that will be harmed and killed.
    But the whole state could go up in flames otherwise and I would not care. It could start with piglosi's gated and guarded mansion.

• TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jd50ae We have the “Things I Hate” thread if you need to vent.

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭

@TX98Z28 said:

I thought the "Camel Toe thread of the Day" was for venting.

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer

@variant2 said:

@TX98Z28 said:

I thought the "Camel Toe thread of the Day" was for venting.

Depends on what you're venting LMFAO

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.

:D

It's been dark and crappy all day, @Guitarded, prepare for some nasty air quality.

@Yakster said:
    It's been dark and crappy all day, @Guitarded, prepare for some nasty air quality.

They've been evacuating people all over south and inland from us.
    There is talk of moving us techs around to cover the machines running the fires.
    One of the techs south of me, has had to move his truck north and stage in an area that isn't on fire.

The smoke here, hasn't been too terrible, but 30 miles south and it's almost red during the day. If the winds change, it will get nasty here, really fast.

@Yakster The smoke looks to be hitting you from all directions.
    Stay safe.

Looks like tomorrow, I may be road tripping into the depths of hell. LOL!

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

The OMPS (Ozone Mapper and Profiler Suite) on the Suomi NPP satellite provided this Sept. 7, 2020 image of the aerosols released from the wildfires in California. The aerosols have traveled east across the United States.

The OMPS (Ozone Mapper and Profiler Suite) on the Suomi NPP satellite provided this Sept. 7, 2020 image of the aerosols released from the wildfires in California. The aerosols have traveled east across the United States. (Image credit: NOAA/NASA)

more here:
    https://www.space.com/california-wildfires-satellite-photos-september-2020.html

I love the smell of a good campfire, can't wait till it floats over me.

• StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was thinking about that very thing earlier, in regards to Yosemite. When John Muir "discovered" Yosemite ( I don't know if he was first, but he was instrumental in publicizing it) and the D.C. crowd became enamored with the place, one of the main objectives was to rid the place of those pesky Native American types who were encroaching on this "untamed wilderness".

In the decades that followed the place became less and less "pristine", because the people who'd lived there had been taking care of the place for generations, many generations.

This mistake has been repeated more than once. Seems to me that a few years back President Bush authorized clearing of underbrush in many federal forest lands, and the so-called environmentalists came unglued. Shortly after, those lands that had been cleared of underbrush survived the fires, and those that hadn't been cleared went up in smoke. Much longer recovery time.

People have no sense.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

@peter4jc said:
    SUMMARY:
    Public land management is no longer based on science but rather politics.

^^This. Exactly.
    I worked in the logging industry for 10 years and there is no question that politics had taken over the timber industry (well, everything) in the last 30 years.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

I certainly agree that politicians should never have been allowed to manage forests.
    I also think fire fighters and others tasked with protecting the forests should be given the authority to protect our forests over politicians and greedy companies.
    And in my humble opinion arson should be made a capital crime.
    4 more arsonists have been arrested. How many does that make? Anyone keeping count?

• BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

https://www.foxnews.com/us/arrest-four-possible-arson-west-coast
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/portland-cops-man-started-small-brush-fire-with-molotov-cocktail
    Plus a local contact of mine in Washington state says there have been at least 12 arrests from people there starting fires as well. It seems to be a conflagration of idiots who've found a new way to protest, probably funded by Soros knowing how things have been transpiring lately.

Not to detract from the post @peter4jc made about lack of back burning the grassland areas and the environmentalists getting all up in our business for preventing fires in the first place. Obviously, it's a combination of events I'd say.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/oregon-man-portland-arrest-fires-interstate-205-wildfire-warning-fire-weather-police
    Oregon man arrested twice in 12-hour span for starting 'multiple' fires near Portland freeway

Were gonna need an "Oregon Man" thread soon.

edited September 2020

I am already of the opinion that MOST of the fires are deliberate arson. The miss management by "government" experts is just an added and serious problem. I feel so much, for the trained and professions fire fighters. Is this going to become a useless battle?

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if anyone does controlled burning anymore. I don’t think they do here anymore. Luckily we’re not as dry a climate. But once the heat is bad enough that the trees start burning it’s bad.