Home General Discussion

Need Advice

Are there any cigars that are not overpowering but give you just enough nicotine to help put you in that relaxed state of mind. My wife got me the pepin Garcia original. I’ve had it before and it was fairly young. Not something I thought I’d smoke again. But I know this cigar is at least 3+ years in the cigar shop. Not a big seller so just sitting there. Wow age really does mellow and improve things! Unfortunately I just don’t have the will power to let things age that long. And although I can afford to buy cigars in “bulk” I don’t have the heart to buy more when I know family bills etc come first. Sorry for the rant. Where do you get your will power to age cigars?

Comments

• CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can either pay higher prices for aged ultra premium sticks or get premium sticks and age them yourself. Many of the $10-$20+ cigars use well aged tobacco that costs money to store and tend to. You can find some great blends at $2-$4 range that will age fantastically and give you that well rounded and harmonious flavor profile you've experienced in a well rested/aged cigar.

Pay attention to sales, coupons, and cash back offers from your credit card companies. It's a great time to be a cigar smoker. I've never seen so many deals, or great deals rather, than currently. It's a buyers market to be sure. So, pay the price for them to age it for you or buy more than you smoke and age them yourself and pay 2/3's less. Also go cheap for storage, Boveda packs and a cooler or plastic bin with seals.

It may seem expensive at first but you'll actually save money in the long run by buying more than you smoke. Especially while "the getting is good" like it is currently.

• EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

@deadman said:
    Around here it’s having more cigars than you can smoke and they get buried in the bottom of a cooler.

You can and probably will buy stuff that is aged before it’s sold( padron, Davidoff, etc ) but the above method is more common ( and what I am trying to do more as well)

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or just buy new medium strength sticks. If you buy a very strong stick and age it 10 years properly, it's still going to be a very strong stick. Cigars don't lose (much) nicotine content if stored properly. I'd argue that tobacco doesn't lose much if not stored properly also.

Don't look ↑
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

The older the cigar the less nicotine. It turns to sugar.
    Habano cigars have the highest nicotine level according to all I have read.
    The lowest nicotine cigar, is anything with a Connecticut wrapper. Davidoff silver, is a good place to start.

edited September 2020

Well I will believe you JD, because I have no actual insight. I just know that a strong cigar today is a strong cigar in 5 years. These Jokers will say I don't age anything, but I have a lot of smokes that are 5 plus years old. They mellow out in flavor, but stay punchy in nicotine.

However, I don't know if that means they just lose a smaller amount of nicotine that I can notice or not.

Not sure I'd buy the sugar thing but I have nothing to refute it

Don't look ↑

I guess the most obvious case in point to this is padron. The classic series is strong. The 1964 is jlthecsame blend, box pressed, and is aged for 2 or 3 years. Just as strong.

The 1926, although a different blend, is aged longer (5 or 8 I think) and is actually stronger.

So I guess even if nicotine somehow magically evaporates or turns into sugar or something different, the amount of nicotine doesn't drastically decrease over some sort of relatively sane period of time. I don't think that you're going to find one that goes from strong to medium or medium to light in a couple of years.

Don't look ↑
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve had plenty of cigars with 7+ years rest and still kick my azz. I had a MF last night 8 years rest and it wobbled me pretty good.

yeah, we all saw what you ^ did to that cigar on the vherf. #Shameful

Don't look ↑
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

Nicotine does break down over time. All else constant a more aged leaf will have less nicotine.

Is this enough to turn a full strength tat fausto or JdN dark into a mild cigar? Absolutely not.

The DPG blue are a great cigar to rest. I never thought these were particularly strong in nicotine, even fresh. Definitely the body will mellow out though.

Maybe try another My Father blend or tatuaje. Tat cabaiguan is a little more mellow, but similar style. San Cristobal Elegancia is another DPG blend, with a connecticut wrapper. Much less in your face than other Pepin blends, but very unique and good.

Better yet, just by 50 DPG blues now and try and forget about them. Even in 6 mo or a year they will be great!

LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭

To echo what a few other BOTLs said, young cigars will have a higher nicotine "kick" than if you let them sit for a few years. I personally find that that cigars with darker wrappers (maduro / oscuro) and the more ligero in the blend tend to age very well.

I had some Anejo Sharks aged for 5 years and shared them with a couple of friends at the time Fuente released the latest iteration of the same stick. The difference in nicotine levels was noticeable but the aged Shark was much more enjoyable and complex.

If you go to a too mild of a cigar, don't expect to get the bold flavors that you would find from the medium + nicaraguan blends.

If you're looking for a nice medium cigar with good flavors and a smooth profile, try the Tatuaje Verocu in a torpedo vitola. I recommend that stick often and people thank me next time they see me at the B&M.

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you like mellow cigars, just buy cigars that fit your palate. No need to let cigars age to mellow out. Try some Connecticut, Cameroon, or Habano wrappers.

Charter oak Connecticut
    CAO Black
    Guardian of the farm JJ
    CLE Habano
    New world Cameroon
    3x3 Tubos

• EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rsherman24 said:
    If you like mellow cigars, just buy cigars that fit your palate. No need to let cigars age to mellow out. Try some Connecticut, Cameroon, or Habano wrappers.

Charter oak Connecticut
    CAO Black
    Guardian of the farm JJ
    CLE Habano
    New world Cameroon
    3x3 Tubos

Those are very smokable sticks ... I have a box of the charter oak and the New world Cameroon’s ... and they are great with an Excellent Cup of coffee.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both of those can be had at great prices, too.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't bother aging mild or mild-med. They will get weak and lose their flavor. For aging, go with medium or stronger.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.