Home Non Cigar Related

Still needing some help....

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m sorry to keep beating this ol’ crippled horse (it ain’t quite dead yet) but I still have that problem with videos not playing on my iPhone. I’ve gone back a time or three and followed all the directions shown in that “read more” link such as resetting my browser, updating the YouTube app, uninstalling/reinstalling, etc, blah blah, etc and nothing seems to do any good.

I can’t watch videos, even in my email. Seems to me it’s got to be an iPhone issue since my PC works fine. And even the kind folks on the iPhone forum seem to be at a loss for suggestions.

It’s probably something stupid like maybe I accidentally clicked something I wasn’t even aware of. I just haven’t a clue...

Any ideas? TIA.... 👴🏻

Comments

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have a nearby apple store with "geniuses" on staff?

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry I wish I could. I just have one of my kids help me out when something like this happens to me. I’m sure Chris @Yakster can help you.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you only use the Safari browser? Try a different browser is the only thing I can think of. Use a private browser like brave or duck duck go if you don't want to use Chrome.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm more of a PC/Android user but I'll take a look and see if I can find something on this.

@jlmarta does the Youtube app still work to play videos on your phone?

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL
    Nope. Closest thing to it is an ATT store.

@CharlieHeis
    I’ll try a different browser - probably Firefox

@Yakster
    The YouTube works after being updated, etc., but the error message I keep getting on any video I try to view comes from YouTube.

Thanks for all your help, guys. I’ll let you know if a different browser helps... 🙏🙏

Looks like it's a common problem... try a different browser, I'll keep looking.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8098624

A more recent thread shows it's an iOS 13.4 issue affecting all browsers with the answer being to downgrade to 13.1. What version are you running?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251222654

@Yakster said:
    Looks like it's a common problem... try a different browser, I'll keep looking.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8098624

A more recent thread shows it's an iOS 13.4 issue affecting all browsers with the answer being to downgrade to 13.1. What version are you running?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251222654

I’m running 14.0.1.....

Also, those conversations mentioned that they were getting audio but no video. I’m getting nothing.... only the error message....

I don’t know if this will help but these photos show (mostly) what I’m seeing:

First there’s this large ‘go’ button. When I click on it, it turns red (doesn’t show in photo) and turns to a smaller black ‘go’ button:

Then, a circular spinning arrow appears behind the go button. If I click on that, I get the following error message:

This same thing happens whether I’m trying to watch a video on this forum, in my email, whatever. The YouTube app behaves normally.

Now here’s an interesting thing. I’ve found that, instead of trying to play a posted video, if I click on the button (link, arrow, etc) that allows you to copy and share the link to that video I can then text it to myself, copy it to ‘Notes’, or put it in other places. I can then view the video from the new location.

It’s a PITA but at least it works, mostly. I’m still experimenting with it....

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do you view the forum? Do you launch Safari and go to cigar.com/forum?

@rsherman24 said:

I can do it that way but I usually just click on the forum widget (I think that’s what they’re called)...

• Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you tried using a different browser? If not try using chrome and launch cigar.com and sign into the forum that way.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

@Diver43 said:
    Have you tried using a different browser? If not try using chrome and launch cigar.com and sign into the forum that way.

At your suggestion, I tried both Chrome and Firefox. Videos work normally on both and I thank you for kicking my butt hard enough to get me to try a different browser.

I dislike Chrome so I’ll try to stay with Firefox for a while. The downside to either of these two browsers is that now I have to get through the learning curve to figure out how to tweak some settings to get the format where I want it - things like text size, etc.

I’ll get there. It’s just a matter of time. Thanks again, @Diver43 and you other brothers who provided some input. I appreciate it.....👍🤐

• Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad it worked for you
    Chrome is not my favorite either, it takes up more space, but runs fast and stable for me. Please do not take this as me knowing anything technical. It is often one of the things the help desk at work suggests when I have a problem.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jlmarta said:

@rsherman24 said:

I can do it that way but I usually just click on the forum widget (I think that’s what they’re called)...

What is the widget you are referring to? Does it launch in Safari? There is a setting in Safari which will cause videos to launch using the desktop app instead of the browser. You can check that if it is using Safari

Thanks Ron, now Marty can finally get to watch that Hot Russian slap fight video. :D

Yes, thanks to all. Those are some delicious-looking butts, I have to admit. I’ve been a butt-and-belly (not belly-button) man most of my life..... 😜😜

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jlmarta said:
    Yes, thanks to all. Those are some delicious-looking butts, I have to admit. I’ve been a butt-and-belly (not belly-button) man most of my life..... 😜😜

We always hear some guy saying "I'm a _____ man" or I'm a ______ man" but I never quite understand. It seems arbitrary to me to say I prefer this or that part of the female anatomy. IOW, when the butt guy sees a boob, he sticks his nose in the air and says 'that doesn't do it for me'? I guess I'm either just not picky, or am a universal guy that has all the ____'s marked as enjoyable eye-zones.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

I'm a _____ man myself.

Post edited by silvermouse on
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.