Home Pipes

Mold or ?

YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a good discussion on the PSD Forum about this for pressed flake. Mold in pipe tobacco is tricky, you don't just wipe it off a wrapper. There's salts, sugars, and evaporates that can leave white spots on tobacco too. It gets good starting on page four.

https://pipesmokersdens.com/threads/kbv-byronic-slices-potential-mold.9594/page-4

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

Comments

• NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great read I have some KBV slices I need to open up and check the status of it. Once I can find some jars that is.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up a USB Microscope to look at tobacco, here's it's maiden voyage connected to my phone looking at an old GH Revor Plug which had some light stuff on the surface.

After reading on PSD, I decided before the microscope arrived that this probably wasn't mold, and some of the advise mentioned that the tobacco would generally smell pretty bad if it was moldy and this smells pretty good. Looking forward to trying it. Here's the close ups.

• TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting Chris, wonder what that stuff is then?

Salts, evaporates, sugars, something from the blend.

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Opened a sealed bag of these yesterday I finally managed last night to clean up my microscope (yes I still have one lol) and giving them a good look. Then I found the threads and the one Chris mentions. If something anywhere similar to this were on a cigar I would not hesitate in tossing it without a second look. In this context comparing the two is like apples to doughnuts. The tobaccos for each go through completely different processes which produce completely different results. If it’s a cigar…it’s mold. If it’s tobacco that has been cased, heated, pressed, and all kinds of other stuff. Give it a second look….it might be rewarding.

• Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

^ Looks like tree bark.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• MrPossumMrPossum Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jerky looks a little dry