Home Pipes

Master piper smokers...

Shaner9erShaner9er Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone so I used to be a very avid pipe smoker years went on stopped for awhile but I still have my pipes even the tobacco.. which brings me to something since I have been getting back into it as of late.. I have this tobacco which is my favorite the place I bought it from shut down years ago he called it dark star (pretty sure it was a personal blend of sorts.) I know it wasn't the McClelland I've had that before but I was wondering if one of you had the pallet to figure out what all is going on with this guy so I could try and blend it myself I don't have much left but I could hopefully send enough for us to figure it out. thanks!

Comments

• StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish you luck, I'm not the master pipe smoker you're looking for.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

not me, my palate is far from refined. But, what is it like? Aromatic or not, dosed with Orientals or Latakia, flake or chopped flake, color--mixed tan and black? Etc. Sutliff, formerly Altadis, sells a lot of bulks that tobacco shoppes relabel as their own blends.

• Shaner9erShaner9er Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

hmm see im not familiar with all the blends i will take a picture in a few and post it but for sure Cavendish and vanilla? it reminds me of a cupcake

ah, that narrows it down a bit.

check out some of these:
    https://www.meierdutch.com/p/sutliff-spicey-vanilla-pipe-tobacco/2002369/
    https://www.meierdutch.com/p/sutliff-nougat-pipe-tobacco/2002376/
    https://www.meierdutch.com/p/sutliff-vanilla-custard-pipe-tobacco/2002383/
    https://www.meierdutch.com/p/sutliff-vanilla-royale-pipe-tobacco/2002391/

It might be worthwhile to order an oz. of each, find one you like, sort of, and use it as a base to experiment augmenting with blending tobaccos.

• StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

I wonder if it is as simple as Lane 1-Q

or LL-7

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?

Good guess. Lane 1-Q has been sold under more names than any other blend.

here we go

im essentially adding everything you all say to a cart in 1oz hopefully this will be easier to find than a Savinelli ELR

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Edward, Lane 1-Q is probably a good place to start. I was checking out tobaccos at The Cigar Club in Madison TN one time, they had a blend called Spring...Mist?...Spring something, and I said "this smells just like Lane 1-Q". Yep, that's it, came the reply. I asked if they'd altered it, added something, "Nope, just like it is. We just come up with our own name for it."

There are SO many possibilities when it comes to pipe tobacco. The first thing that came to mind when seeing the picture you posted was Lane HGL. In reality, there's no telling, but I'd add that to your 1 oz list.

Another thing you might try, buy various blending tobaccos and mix and match for yourself. Somewhere, way back in these threads, I posted a couple mixtures I came up with for myself that I was quite happy with. I'm not much of an aromatic guy, more into latakia, so those might not work for you, but you get the idea. For instance, considering your description you might try mixing equal parts of Red Virginia, Yellow Virginia, BLWB, which is burley light without bite, and black cavendish. It's an adventure. Good luck.

Oh, and "Palate", not Pallet. A pallet is a rudely made hard bed, or something you stack stuff on to move it with a forklift.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Oh, and "Palate", not Pallet. A pallet is a rudely made hard bed, or something you stack stuff on to move it with a forklift.

Lol thanks for the info and I was waiting for someone to correct that.. and by the time i noticed it was already too late...

• Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be of no help, but sounds like a fun quest. Good luck

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

im thinking its either the Sutliff 1M Vanilla or Sutliff Nougat the scent between those two and mine are very similar I will just need to smoke them now and see though I'm 68% sure its the nougat luckily this also turned into me finding some others I likes the smell off and will be trying As well.