Home Non Cigar Related

20H2

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Windows update 20H2 has been going for two hours so far, by the clock. WTF !
I can install a half dozen entire new Linux distros in less time.
This is only up to 87% complete.

Hope it's stable

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

Begun 1:36pm. Finally done at nearly 5pm. I am bewildered how ample electrons flitting about at the speed of light inside a space a great deal thinner and not much broader than a cigar box could require three and a half hours to accomplish any update whatever. WTF is going on inside there for such a protracted time? Will Microsuck never learn how to get things done? They must, by now, have heard some rumor on one or two occasions that people do get frustrated by the amount of time wasted on their updates. What if an office worker were to come to his desk in the morning, set down his coffee, and say "OK, it wants me to update, so let me click this..." and... the day is half shot before his work was allowed to proceed?

No, don't try to convince me, Bill... There just is no excuse for this.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same here

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great, now I don't even want to turn my Windows computer back on.

@silvermouse said:
    Great, now I don't even want to turn my Windows computer back on.

How-To Tip:

1. HAVE SOMETHING ELSE TO DO.
    2. Turn it on,
    3. Click the update.
    4. Go do your other thing.
    5. Come back in two hours and click reboot.
    6. Go do the other thing.
    7. From here, the blue screen of death keeps on rebooting itself until it's complete.
    8. When the blue screen displays "this may take some time" about three hours in, try not to kill your blue screen with a rock. Instead,
    9. HAVE SOMETHING ELSE TO DO.

This is why I am a Linux guy.

Currently experimenting with various distros using the Plasma desktop. Installing them on my old but not aged, slow but not incompetent, Asus laptop. I can download a distro, burn the image on a thumb, boot from that, install and configure, all in about half an hour. Another half for for installing some fave apps, customizing, and evaluating. The Windoze laptop should be way faster than that old Asus. Both have SSDs. The Asus laptop has a mere 4 gigs RAM, is the thing (cannot be increased and Linux loves RAM) and a 2xCeleron 1.86; the Windoze laptop sports 8 gigs and an I5 Core 3. 30. Whatever all that means. What it doesn't mean is, it doesn't mean an update needs to pissaway half a day.

I became a Debian guy soon as I heard about dpkg. Ian and Debra were still a thing back then. Musta been like 25 years ago. Coupla RedHats for leased servers, is all. Other'n that, Debian, every machine, all along. In all that 25 years, I can't remember even one time when any Debian update requiring a reboot. Not until couple years back I got a client who ran an Ubuntu shop. I was astonished then to see any Linux distro which now and then asks for a reboot. Very odd.

Anyways... so much for my bitshing. Not a happy guy. Went to the smoking porch intending to work on my novel while smoking a gar. Had some great ideas burning a hole in my brain. Instead, didn't get nothing done.

Nice day on tap, from the looks of it. Need to take a murdersickle ride.

• BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always have two PC's going. One is a Linux box, typically the older one because Linux will run on just about anything. The other is a Win box just so I can use certain programs and games. Not surprisingly, the Win PC is often the one with issues.

Anybody else notice how Microsoft literally stole every idea for the new Edge browser from the Mozilla Firefox project? Even the new logo is strikingly similar. Pathetic.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe MS bought mozilla. MS hasn't had an original idea since win95 or older. Every new feature they've come up with has been stolen or bought from some 3rd party app.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webmost said:
    I can install a half dozen entire new Linux distros in less time.
    This is only up to 87% complete.

Hope it's stable

OMG I love you!

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

What Distro do you use?

@Vision said:
    What Distro do you use?

See five posts above.

This remark is coming to you from KDE Neon, which is Ubuntu 20 with a Plasma desktop. Just trying it out for the heck of it.

And already again this evening, it asks me to update and restart.
    At least this time it's done in 3 or 4 minutes.