Home Cigar 101

Do I need a certain number of cigars in my humidor?

TexasToastTexasToast Posts: 37 ✭✭

Hey all, new to the forum and excited to be here. I had some questions that hopefully you guys have some insight on. I’m fairly new to cigars but already have plenty of favorites and know I can easily fill a 25-50 humidor. That being said the humidor I wanted is no longer in stock so thinking about buying a 100 count. I would be using boveda packs for everything and just wanted to know, if say I start out with 15-20 cigars will that be too little for the humidor to handle with boveda. Sorry for the long message and hope to hear from you guys (:

Comments

• TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

Typically, you would need more boveda packs to keep the RH stable if your humidor is less than half full. I use about 1 boveda for every 15-20 cigars in my wooden desktop humidor that is a 100 ct and I keep constantly ~75% full. Not sure how many I have in my cooler, got to be at least 8. You should be able to use less per cigar in a plastic tupperdoor or cooler because there is less leakage. Hope this helps

@TexasToast welcome to the forum! Why don't you hop on over to the Newbie welcoming thread and introduce yourself. There's alot of people with some great knowledge on here, so ask away

• d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

@ShawnOL said:
    You will either always run out or end up with way more than your wife thinks you need. You can keep a low number in a 100 if you have enough boveda. If you get too many, send them to me.

Which is why my cigars are stored off-site and I only expose 4 or 5 at a time. On the original question I think the standard answer is around 50% full and you'll be alright.
    A bold dry beg of a newbie by the way.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

2421 cigars,..... mostly yard-gars. Oh! You said humidor, as in "one" humidor. How refreshing it is to get a glimpse at myself from ten years ago.

(I'm assuming you are not DZR.) Welcome @TexasToast to The Best Little Cigar Forum in Texas, or anywhere else anyone happens to be. Pay no attention to any strange statements coming from us. It will only make sense if you hang around and assimilate. Then it will make sense and brighten your day.

Question for the regulars,.... When did all the newbies get smart and start off using Boveda as their first humidifiers? Haven't had a green foam user in forever.

To answer your question,... Keep your desktop humidor at least half full, or better yet, almost full, or full up. And Bovedas are great. Use twice as many as you think you need. You can't have too many Bovedas. They will not over-humidify no matter how many extras you have. Then get yourself some plastic storage, (tupperdor, or coolidor, as in coleman cooler.) in order to handle overflow and growth of your collection. And be ready with enough plastic storage capacity to handle your entire collection if your desktop humidor's humidity becomes unmanageable. (This probably will not happen if you use enough Bovedas but often happens during winter months due to low indoor ambient humidity combined with the low performance quality of most desktop humidors combined with insufficient humidification products.) If you need help setting up your plastic storage, we got answers for those questions too.

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. The exact number is MORE.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

The best humidification device is a properly humidified cigar, and the more you have in your humidor, the more stable your humidity will be.

Don't look ↑
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

Again, my standard advice... get a second job and a bigger humidor!

I started with a twenty count humidor because that's all would need. Five humidors later...

• cpatt18cpatt18 Posts: 7

@YankeeMan said:
    Again, my standard advice... get a second job and a bigger humidor!

I started with a twenty count humidor because that's all would need. Five humidors later...

Haha i just imagine you having a nice stack of humidors :wink:

• cpatt18cpatt18 Posts: 7

@VegasFrank said:
    The best humidification device is a properly humidified cigar, and the more you have in your humidor, the more stable your humidity will be.

So if you where to add a more dried out cigar into the mix is there a possibility that it could damage the others in there? Or would the effect be unnoticeable

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

You'd be fine

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain