Home General Discussion

Propylene Glycol question.

Hello Everyone!
It's been a while since I've been in the forum and have been stumped on my latest research, so I hope someone can help. My experience with all of the posters in this forum tells me I will get a ton of answered responses and they will all be correct. :)

I needed some cigar juice and went out and purchased 2 16 oz. bottles of Xikar. With tax, around $32!! So I searched online for preparing my own solution and found I need equal parts of DW and PG. Easy enough. What I can't find an answer to is, do I need Food Grade PG or Pharmaceutical Grade PG? Either way a gallon of both is about $30. I just want to make sure I get the right one.

The way I see it, a gallon of PG and DW will cost me like $33. I will get 128 oz. of solution. If you divide that by 16, it equals 8. 8 x $15 per 16 oz. of Xicar is $120. I'll save $87 and can invest that in more "Sticks" for my humidor.

Thanks in advance for all of the responses, and it's nice to be back in the forum again.

Comments

• VisionVision Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

My usual response is “Boveda”.... but seeing as you spent that cash already I was under the impression that both are basically the same once you mix it into distilled water. Could be wrong tho.I thought it was the plant processed in and handling.

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have to go the propylene glycol, then food grade would make the most sense.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

Just use the distilled water and forget about the PG. Or use the bovedas like Pete said. you should be able to get about 200 gallons of distilled water for that hundred bucks and still have 20 bucks left over for a really nice padron

Don't look ↑
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    Just use the distilled water and forget about the PG. Or use the bovedas like Pete said. you should be able to get about 200 gallons of distilled water for that hundred bucks and still have 20 bucks left over for a really nice padron

Or two 1000s line from Padron 🙃

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just don't let the solution drip onto any cigars. Might make for a bad smoking experience.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Cygnusx1Cygnusx1 Posts: 11

OK, it's been a while but time to resume. I've heard a lot about bovedas but not sure if they will work with my setup. I have a big cabinet humidor. It's 6 feet tall X 2 feet X 2 feet. It can hold 3500 sticks but I am at around 1800. It has a Hydra 2.0 humidifier in the bottom and I keep 2-4 Humi-care gel bead cups/per shelf up top.

I would be very wary altering the humidification.

Also, the Hydra came with the green sponge, that I removed and replaced with gel beads charged with distilled water. Would I be able to charge those beads with a
    PG/DW solution?

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a wood cabinet, right? The hydra is probably not enough. I think that thing is good for six or 8 cubic feet, iirrc. The beads on the shelves will prolly work.

Again, stay the effff away from the of solution...it's a waste. Do you have stock in a pg company or something? :D Pulll the foam out, fill it with beads, and use distilled water.

I bought a humidor that came with a cigar Oasis 3. I replaced the crappy foam with beads and distilled to great results so far:

But this is for a small cabinet humidor that's approximately 7 cubic feet. These types of units are too small for large cabinets. If you're going to have a big boy humidor, you'll need big boy humidification. I have a 6x2x2 wooden cabinet myself, and I use a moist-n-air that would humidify a room if it needed to. Yes, those units are a couple of hundred bucks, but peace of mind is worth it.

Don't look ↑
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have about the same size as you do. It's not a wood cabinet it's a 180 bottle wine cooler. I use about 12lbs of kitty litter in it. Works perfectly, 62% at the top and 65% on the bottom. I left the fans in it and have them set on timers to run for 5 mins every 4 hours.
    Next to no maintenance, a spritz or two of distilled water in the winter when the rh gets a little low. I do have some 65% Bovedas in there too, just because I had them laying around.