Home Cigar 101

Opinion On Humidor?

cpatt18cpatt18 Posts: 7

Hi Guys!

I've been thinking about buying a humidor after smoking a few cigars so I don't have to keep going to the store haha Im lazy.I don't really know much about them or want to waste my money on a **** one.

I am worried that I will get one that is not the right size then I will end up having to buy another one because I don't really know what to look for and I am new to this.

Saw some options compared on this site and I am leaning towards the Case Elegance one.

https://puffclassics.com/best-cigar-humidor/

I have a budget of $150 and I still need to get a decent cutter! Does anyone have any recommendations?

Ideally something that I can't mess up lol, something simple.

Thanks for the help :)

Comments

• TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't go with anything Case Elegance. I've got a small desktop and it leaks humidity constantly. Also don't go glass top, more opportunity for leakage. A solid, 50-70 count should be a good start, make sure it has spanish cedar.

Alot of members have tupperdores that they love, but I can't vouch for that

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@deadman said:
    48 qt island breeze cooler at Walmart is only $15, $20 palio cutter. Spend the rest on boveda packs and more cigars

And if you ignore that advice and insist on a humidor, leave room in your budget for a good supply of Advil because you'll need it for all the headaches the humidor will give you.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something air-tight. Larger than you could possibly imagine needing. Buy plenty of boveda.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cooler

Weather Tight Crate

Tupperdor

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

But seriously. Rubbermaid Brilliance is awesome.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

Very few of the guys on this forum like the wood humidors because they take a little work. I have four wood humidors and I like them all, but they take a little work.

Most guys use coolers which seem to work well, but I understand that when you're starting out it's no fun to have a cooler.

Some guys use wine fridges that hold lots of cigars and are also pretty air tight, but are a little more expensive. If you're going to go this route, I would go used and not worry about whether or not the cooling part works.

Peter @vision is right that the Rubbermaid brilliance is a true airtight container that you can get for a couple of bucks and it is dead money perfect.

However, I'm going to give you a different thing to consider. If I were you and just starting out, I would buy myself a 15 count travel humidor. They are airtight and require one 60 gram boveda at most to keep it humidified. It will hold 15 cigars stock, but If you find yourself with more than 15 cigars, you can take out one two or all three of the foam inserts and you can end up holding 18 to 25 regular sized cigars. I suggest this because it feels like a cigar accessory, which is more fun than using some of the wife's Tupperware or a lunch box. You can decorate it with stickers, take it with you on the go, and it will hold you off until you decide how deep you're getting into the hobby. Here is mine:

It is a xikar, but all of the brands are exactly the same. They all come from quality importers, which owns xikar.

If I were just getting into cigars again, I would buy this one right here

Less than 20 bucks and you're in business brother.

Don't look ↑
  • cpatt18cpatt18 Posts: 7

@TheKraken said:
    Don't go with anything Case Elegance. I've got a small desktop and it leaks humidity constantly. Also don't go glass top, more opportunity for leakage. A solid, 50-70 count should be a good start, make sure it has spanish cedar.

Alot of members have tupperdores that they love, but I can't vouch for that

Ah that sounds like a pain in the ass! Ive seen the tupperdores I really just wanted something I could leave out as well but thank you

@peter4jc said:

@deadman said:
    48 qt island breeze cooler at Walmart is only $15, $20 palio cutter. Spend the rest on boveda packs and more cigars

And if you ignore that advice and insist on a humidor, leave room in your budget for a good supply of Advil because you'll need it for all the headaches the humidor will give you.

Bahahaha Noted. I have to make a nice tupperdore hidden in the shell of a humi :)

@VegasFrank said:
    Very few of the guys on this forum like the wood humidors because they take a little work. I have four wood humidors and I like them all, but they take a little work.

Most guys use coolers which seem to work well, but I understand that when you're starting out it's no fun to have a cooler.

Some guys use wine fridges that hold lots of cigars and are also pretty air tight, but are a little more expensive. If you're going to go this route, I would go used and not worry about whether or not the cooling part works.

Peter @vision is right that the Rubbermaid brilliance is a true airtight container that you can get for a couple of bucks and it is dead money perfect.

However, I'm going to give you a different thing to consider. If I were you and just starting out, I would buy myself a 15 count travel humidor. They are airtight and require one 60 gram boveda at most to keep it humidified. It will hold 15 cigars stock, but If you find yourself with more than 15 cigars, you can take out one two or all three of the foam inserts and you can end up holding 18 to 25 regular sized cigars. I suggest this because it feels like a cigar accessory, which is more fun than using some of the wife's Tupperware or a lunch box. You can decorate it with stickers, take it with you on the go, and it will hold you off until you decide how deep you're getting into the hobby. Here is mine:

It is a xikar, but all of the brands are exactly the same. They all come from quality importers, which owns xikar.

If I were just getting into cigars again, I would buy this one right here

Less than 20 bucks and you're in business brother.

I like that idea I might get that as well. I more so wanted something I could leave out on the coffee table

Thanks for the help everyone! I am pretty sure I am going to go with this one https://puffclassics.com/megacra-cedar-and-leather.../
    If the wood on wood seal is not great I may add a little fill there or something

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a good looking humidor. Fake leather though. Keep your lit cigars, hot lighters, etc, away from that polyurethane "leather".