Home Cigar 101

Another New New Guy

Hey all!

I have been lurking here for about a few weeks.

I have to say that this community rocks , every one is really helpful to each other.

I just started smoking cigars a few months ago, starting out with the Acid line then moving into non infused cigars.

I have tried the Oliva Connecticut Reserve (the draw was i little sparce on the few I have had), and the Nub Connecticut 358 ( loved this one) Also the Olvia G

Seems I like the 5 x 50 shape alot.

I am looking for w humidor right now and few other cigars to go along with it.

I know to go bigger that what I an thinking but the wallet is tight right now (I know a bad time to pick up this hobby, what can I say).
Should I just hold off till I can get a 50-100 stick humidor?

Or pick up a 20 stick to hold a few cigars?

Right now I go to the B&M pick up a stick and smoke it.

Aslo looking for a few more suggestions for "new" type smoker to define my palette. I'm pretty snobby with my whisky and coffee. So I looking for smokes that :

1. wont break the bank
2. spoil my palette for the price point I am in.
3. help me define "new flavors"
4. that smoke well "just bought" ( i have not gotten to where i have aged anything nor have the patience to age something right now )(is that bad?)

Of course I am going to pick up the 5 vegas gold (Id be a total idiot not to with everyone suggestions) but from there where to go?

I know that this had been asked like 500 times but also figured that I d say Hey there! also .....

Alos been inspired to make my own humi , but that is a bit later on in life....

keep up the good work guys..

Comments

• GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Welcome! As for the humidor goes, I would hold off till you can get a 100ct because that allows you to partake in the daily deals where as a 20ct would fill up very fast. Keep in mind that you cant actually fit 100 sticks in a 100 ct humidor unless you are smoking lanceros.

As for recommendations, give Onyx a try. Its a really nice smoke with a moderate to low price point and has scored really well before with a lot of folks.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    jhunter127:
    Hey all! I have been lurking here for about a few weeks. I have to say that this community rocks , every one is really helpful to each other. I just started smoking cigars a few months ago, starting out with the Acid line then moving into non infused cigars. I have tried the Oliva Connecticut Reserve (the draw was i little sparce on the few I have had), and the Nub Connecticut 358 ( loved this one) Also the Olvia G Seems I like the 5 x 50 shape alot. I am looking for w humidor right now and few other cigars to go along with it. I know to go bigger that what I an thinking but the wallet is tight right now (I know a bad time to pick up this hobby, what can I say). Should I just hold off till I can get a 50-100 stick humidor? Or pick up a 20 stick to hold a few cigars? Right now I go to the B&M pick up a stick and smoke it. Aslo looking for a few more suggestions for "new" type smoker to define my palette. I'm pretty snobby with my whisky and coffee. So I looking for smokes that : 1. wont break the bank 2. spoil my palette for the price point I am in. 3. help me define "new flavors" 4. that smoke well "just bought" ( i have not gotten to where i have aged anything nor have the patience to age something right now )(is that bad?) Of course I am going to pick up the 5 vegas gold (Id be a total idiot not to with everyone suggestions) but from there where to go? I know that this had been asked like 500 times but also figured that I d say Hey there! also ..... Alos been inspired to make my own humi , but that is a bit later on in life.... keep up the good work guys..
    Welcome and you wont go wrong with those 5 vegas golds Ilove them, the humi suggestions a good one , My wife bought me a 30-50 count and within 2 months i have it JAMMED full and a Tupperdoor with some over flow and have beeen looking for another humi already as I have been getting in the games and Loving it! These guys in here are great and the best talk and suggestions anywhere.... get your advice from guys who Love and DO smoke allot of Cigars! Peace and Welcome again
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    From one noob to another, try out gurkah cuban legacy. This is more of a medium smoke, it is will constructed and is priced well too. I would also suggest getting at least a 50 cap humi, they never fit the stick count they are rated at. You may also want to look around the forum for some tips on humidification before you make this purchase. In reading your message, sound like we got started about the same way. I have been into this for a few years now and enjoy learning the hobby almost as much as smoking the cigars. I've checked out a few other forums, seems like these guys will treat noobs better than you would get anywhere else.
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Welcome brother..... I picked up the lucky 7 humidor a few month back and its beautiful! 200 count with glass front and 7 drawers. PM me if you want more info. I would hit the samplers as much as you can, great way to pick up a varitey.
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    Welcome man, as you said all the guys on this forum are really cool and know their stuff.. for a smoke that wont break the bank and has good flavor you cant go wrong with a 5 vegas gold.. what I did when I first started out was get the ccom house sampler.. it will give you a good idea of what you do and dont like in a cigar. As you will hear, when buying a humi, get one that is waaaay bigger than what you think you need.. I got and filled up a 20 ct, 50 ct, and 150 ct in a matter of weeks! The daily deals are great here and they give you a chance to experiment with different sticks! Once again welcome to the forums!
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    illinoisgolf99:
    Welcome man, as you said all the guys on this forum are really cool and know their stuff.. for a smoke that wont break the bank and has good flavor you cant go wrong with a 5 vegas gold.. what I did when I first started out was get the ccom house sampler.. it will give you a good idea of what you do and dont like in a cigar. As you will hear, when buying a humi, get one that is waaaay bigger than what you think you need.. I got and filled up a 20 ct, 50 ct, and 150 ct in a matter of weeks! The daily deals are great here and they give you a chance to experiment with different sticks! Once again welcome to the forums!

PM sent Golf99.....
  • Thanks for the suggestions guys, Ill just make due till I get the cash for a lager humi, the problem is I just keep buying cigars.

and

Smoking them......

Man, this is kinda of a sport type hobby :)
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    I sent you a PM, check it out, let me know how it goes.
  • You are the MAN! reply sent . I must say that this place rocks!
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Welcome brother! Great start to your new hobby, and as i'm smoking a 5 Vegas Gold as i'm writing this, I agree with this recommendation! Also, whomever recommended the Ccom house blend sampler - they're right on the money. Each one of these stick are produced and influenced by major names in the industry, and it's an excellent introduction to a variety of wrapper types and blends.

Definitely save your money till you can afford a bigger humi - when I got my 20ct, I looked at a 250ct thinking I wouldn't have something like that for years. 2 months later I had a 300ct, and within 2 months it was getting full. Now i'm eyeing a 2000ct cabinet.. I know what it's like to have to buy-and-smoke though, and there IS an interim cheap solution. Buy some sticks from Ccom, and they'll ship them with a humi-pack inside. Stick this pack into a large tupperware with some sticks, and you have a makeshift humi. It works - I'm pretty sure we've all done or are currently doing it.

Any way ya go, you found the best online community for cigars, and if you stick around I guarantee you'll make some great friends.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    jhunter127:
    So I looking for smokes that :

1. wont break the bank
    2. spoil my palette for the price point I am in.
    3. help me define "new flavors"
    4. that smoke well "just bought" ( i have not gotten to where i have aged anything nor have the patience to age something right now )(is that bad?)
    I've got one cigar that satisfies all 4 criteria in spades. Perdomo ESV '91 Seconds They are the first cigars listed. Great mild-medium, Connecticut wrapped cigars. And for under $4 each they can't be beat.
  • Thanks to all that has helped me, I went for a killer deal for the cash I had, I am now selling all my "other stuff" to make more money to get a me bigger humi and more "stuff" to smoke. Now, after you had your fill (for that day) of Vegas 5 Golds what is the next step up? Cameroon? Just asking :0
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    jhunter127:
    Thanks to all that has helped me, I went for a killer deal for the cash I had, I am now selling all my "other stuff" to make more money to get a me bigger humi and more "stuff" to smoke. Now, after you had your fill (for that day) of Vegas 5 Golds what is the next step up? Cameroon? Just asking :0
    Try everything at least once. Don't be shy about strengths and flavors. I started out mild, just like everyone, but I quickly learned that I prefer medium to full smokes. Go for broke and get yourself a nice, decently priced maduro. Go with a Punch Maduro Rothschild. A great smoke for the price.

As far as humidors go, I went the craigslist route. I didn't want to go and spend $100+ on a humi in case the hobby didn't take. I know it's risky buying used, but I got lucky with a nice 50 count humi for $15. It was practically brand new and hardly used.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum man.  I'm new here as well and nothing but great information and nice cigar loving sob's here!  I've really enjoyed the short time here.  If you have a question, just ask, these guys here are great!
  • jacketsrulejacketsrule Posts: 401
    Welcome, I hope you enjoy. Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 is my inexpensive go to cigar. Give it a try.
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    jacketsrule:
    Welcome, I hope you enjoy. Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 is my inexpensive go to cigar. Give it a try.

Welcome to the forums!

I was in the same boat not too long ago. The cigar posted above was one that I still turn too now and again. I'd have to say there is a great wealth of knowledge here and everyone that I have seen post is pretty relaxed and willing to give some great advice. I would agree to what was posted above. Keep checking the DD and before ya know it your soon to be new humi will be busting at the seams.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Welcome aboard bro'.