Home General Discussion
Options

I hope not....

ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2020 in General Discussion

Was reading an interview over at SB with Todd Vance ( Sallone cigars ) and this caught my eye....

" WHICH TRENDS DO YOU SEE FOR 2021 IN THE CIGAR INDUSTRY?
I see a few things coming:

A trend back to smaller ring gauges
A move away from traditional cigar boxes; they are simply a dinosaur and we need to find a better packaging alternative."

I agree 100% with the smaller rings......But doing away with boxes!!!.....I like boxes, they help with storage, help with less damage while shipping. I think a cigars that come in boxes just taste better than the ones that come in big bundles and are broken down.....Is it just me being old and stuck in my way?

Comments

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ForMud said:
    Was reading an interview over at SB with Todd Vance ( Sallone cigars ) and this caught my eye....

" WHICH TRENDS DO YOU SEE FOR 2021 IN THE CIGAR INDUSTRY?
    I see a few things coming:

A trend back to smaller ring gauges
    A move away from traditional cigar boxes; they are simply a dinosaur and we need to find a better packaging alternative."

I agree 100% with the smaller rings......But doing away with boxes!!!.....I like boxes, they help with storage, help with less damage while shipping. I think a cigars that come in boxes just taste better than the ones that come in big bundles and are broken down.....Is it just me being old and stuck in my way?

I personally believe it’s also a way to package them up in paper packs of 10 to save money on making boxes and still charge the $100 they would have if they came in boxes. I’ve been in retail for closer to 20 years and when someone says a better way they mean a cheaper way without passing the savings onto the customer. Think of what goes into a box..... The materials, the machine or labor to cut and assemble, apply label or artwork, box cigars, apply break seal, and shrink wrap.

Paper. Paper needs to be printer, cigars bundled and wrapped.

Celo/plastic wrap. Wrapped up..... that’s it.

I like the boxes as well if just for the simple fact I feel like a boss buying a box.

• Options
    BullSquatchBullSquatch Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boxes aren't going anywhere, in my opinion.

"Some people meditate, I smoke cigars." - Ron Perlman
    "...I intend to go home tonight and smoke a cigar to the glory of God." - Charles Spurgeon
    Two Time Cigar Lottery Winner

• Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cutting costs 💯 %
    Better profit margin for companies especially during a time of economic hardship. I am surprised the fact it’s “better for the environment” was noted as well.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

When boxes have to be covered 30% with warning labels, that diminishes their artistry, hence their effectiveness as sales display.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

That got shot down.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boxes have been going away. A lot of the boutique guys sell their crap in 10 count bundles that are wrapped in brown paper. Bundle cigars used to be cheap ones, now you can get anything in a bundle. I bought a bundle of 25 Neanderthals one time that was packaged by Dunbarton as such.

I think anyone who gets their boxes for one or two dollars a piece will probably keep them, at least in the near term. It's actually cheaper to keep that line going than to retool the manufacturing process in order to bundle cigars.

Anyone who uses paper boxes will probably keep them cuz they can get them for a buck a piece at scale. Likewise, anyone with fancy cherry finished boxes are going to keep those around because it's part of the look for consumers.

The ones that might go away would be the ones that are just plain unfinished cedar or cedar plywood that are laser engraved with the name of the cigar, especially those guys who don't make a cajillion of them. I'm thinking the smaller brands that probably spend three to $10 a piece on them.

Eric Newman says that he spends on average five bucks a box. Over the course of $20,000 boxes, that's an extra $100,000 in his pocket if he bundles them. Of course, he's selling $15 cigars so he might keep them.

Those who go to bundles will line their bundles with fancy colorful images and logos so that they still stand out on the shelf.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, why would they make boxes, when they can sell you a bundle of 10 for $150?

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer boxes, I don’t care if it cost more or takes up more room. How the hell are you so post to display a bundle. There is just something better, classier about boxes.

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Couldn't care less about boxes to be perfectly honest. I often have the option to get a bundle or ten packs that equal a box (more or less) for a lower price than a box (usually around 20%-25% off, sometimes even higher) and I'll take that every time. I generally toss the boxes anyway since I store in large plastic bins and boxes take up more space and I'm not interested in paying to keep a bunch of wood humidified.

I do use the Spanish cedar sheets that come in the boxes and 5-packs though for aroma. I can't smoke the boxes and don't display my cigars like a shop so they are nice to look at when they arrive but that's about it. They also cost more to ship (bulkier and heavier). If I can get the same number of cigars (or more) in bundles, 5 packs, or 10 packs then I will pick that every time. It's price per stick for me, packaging doesn't even enter the equation for me.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to say that I like the boxes. However, I probably just gave away about 30 of them, and have many around the house still. The slide-top boxes are really good for screws or nuts or bolts, that kind of thing. Some, like the AF Anejo boxes are just pretty, make good boxes to put small presents in for birthdays or Christmas etc.

A long time ago I'd be disappointed if I bought a "box", as represented in a picture, and ended up with bundles. But now, I really don't care. I could do without the dumbass warning labels, though. At least make them easily removable. I'm 65 years old, I already KNOW what I'm doing, and so does anyone old enough to buy them. Give me a break.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain