Home General Discussion

In search of...

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now don’t take this wrong, I’m looking for a source for some Swisher Sweets Perfectos. There’s a guy who lives at the facility where I live and he likes those. He’s a nice guy who happens to have CP and who likes cigars. I’ve been carrying an extra or two each time I go out for a smoke.

It’s difficult for him to get into handmade cigars because of the need for a humidor, etc, but he doesn’t need one for machine made cigars. He wouldn’t need to cut most machine mades either because most already have a hole built in.

I thought I’d try to find some that he likes but it almost appears that the perfectos have been discontinued - I haven’t located any.

If anyone knows of a source for those or similar sticks I’d appreciate a heads-up.

TIA, guys... 👴🏻

Comments

• d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty near everything from Swisher appears to be on back order. It looks likely that they closed shop for the Covid.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    edited January 2021

A bit more research shows that they are rebranding. It looks like they are burning off old stock so they can come back with the new logo and name. I would suggest Havana Honeys as a decent alternative for someone who enjoyed the Swishers.
    https://www.bestcigarprices.com/cigar-directory/havana-honeys-cigars/havana-honeys-tins-rum-11796/

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an old travel humidor I’m not using and could send it his way. No charge of course.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I'd gift him some Villiger export machine made. They actually get high praise, taste more premiumish, and don't require humidity. They come in small packages to keep fresh and a 50 brick isn't too expensive. A few different blends also. Holt's has them on sale often. Black and mild is pretty tasty too, for a machine made anyway.

@Wylaff said:
    A bit more research shows that they are rebranding. It looks like they are burning off old stock so they can come back with the new logo and name. I would suggest Havana Honeys as a decent alternative for someone who enjoyed the Swishers.
    https://www.bestcigarprices.com/cigar-directory/havana-honeys-cigars/havana-honeys-tins-rum-11796/

I knew a guy who loves cigars and usually smokes non flavored Romeo y Julieta, Henry clay, and the like. For some reason he absolutely loved a flavored cigar called Cuban Honeys. Wouldn't smoke other flavored cigars but was hooked on Cuban Honeys. Always thought it strange but he loved them.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Trykflyr_1 is also looking for them, I hear.

Don't look ↑
  • Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bandidos are little handmades; come in a sweet and a black version. Ugly as sin, but not a bad smoke. Bundles of 60 for about 30 bucks.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like De Nobili dry curded cigars ( Aka guinea stinkers ) I have a small box someone gave me....To scared to try them...I know what I'm going to do this weekend.....

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I decided to try the Havana Honeys to see if he likes ‘em. Cant seem to find the Swisher perfectos anywhere.

Oh, well..... 🙄

Thanks for the input, everyone.. 👍

Okay, now I have a question or two... website advertising says the Havana Honeys are machine made. However, since they’re made in the DR, is the tobacco they’re made of dry-cured as for machine mades, or fermented as are hand-mades from that part of the world?

The guy I’m getting these for has CP and isn’t set up to deal with a humidor, cutters, etc. That’s why I figured machine mades would be better for him. He has enough of a problem just unwrapping a cigar. But he’s independent enough to insist on lighting it for himself.

If these Honeys aren’t really dry cured (and it doesn’t say on the pkg) then they won’t work for him in the long run.

Anybody know for sure? 👴🏻

Everyone I have ever had came individually wrapped with a pull tab to open. They taste better than most machine made, but they don’t require care or humidification. The pull tabs were always large and easy to use.

I know we make fun of them a lot, but Backwoods cigars are dry cured, open ended, and in a foil pouch that can just be folder or rolled closed. They may be just what your after.

@Wylaff said:
    I know we make fun of them a lot, but Backwoods cigars are dry cured, open ended, and in a foil pouch that can just be folder or rolled closed. They may be just what your after.

I asked him if he’d tried Backwoods and he has - he just didn’t care for ‘em...

Thanks, though... 👍

The honey flavored Cuban Honeys I mentioned definitely need humidity. I'm pretty sure the Havana Honeys do as well. They do have smaller packs that come in little pouches that would probably hold up for a week or so. The Villiger exports I mentioned don't need humidity.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jlmarta
    I know nothing about this distributor but they sell to individuals, based in North Carolina, and they have Swisher Sweets Perfectos, allegedly:

https://www.advantageservice.net/cigars/swisher_sweets_perfecto_cigars.htm

Thanks, Edward. Both of your leads appear to have them. Funny thing, though, is they call them perfectos but they’re actually petite Coronas - 5x41. Not a perfecto vitola at all.

Well, I’ve already bought a couple bundles of the Havana Honeys but they’ll end up in a shipment to CFW. I’ve already tried one of the honey flavored ones and they’re not for my taste.

And if I were to try to buy some from either one of these sources I’d have to buy 50 sticks (10 five packs). I don’t know if he’d even want that many at a time.

I guess the road to hell really is paved with good intentions, huh?..... 🙄

Hmm. Decisions, decisions... 🤔

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give him 25 and smoke the other 25 yourself. 🤔

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis