Home Cigar 101
Options

Don't finish cigar use glass tube to save. relight cigar feels taste wet. How do I save partial?

CalvertCalvert Posts: 2

I like to smoke Lonsdale. I smoke at Thompson as my everyday cigar. Cohibas are my favorite. Usually don't finish cigar in an evening. I save them in glass tubes. Relighting I find them too moist. My question is how should I be saving my partial cigars? I have a small leather bag that I keep my lighters Cutters various accoutrement with a cigar or two. To sit outside at my table. I'd like to keep my partials in the same bag.

Answers

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Smoke petite coronas

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

I knew I should have made popcorn :D

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    I knew I should have made popcorn :D

Amos is right.... if you put popcorn in the glass tube it sucks up the moisture.

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rice my friend rice.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you must save it and light it back up later, leave it out in the open.
    Don't put it in anything that will essentially infuse all that nasty burnt taste into it.

Why are you not finishing the cigar?
    Time? If so, smoke a smaller cigar.
    Way more enjoyment out of them.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, if you must, purge the cigar by blowing out, cut below the ash with a large guillotine cutter, then leave it outside.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Cam_91Cam_91 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yessir, this post cleared it right up. DZR.. bad thing. Don’t wanna do that

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the off chance that this is a real guy (and to prove I'm a better person than you clowns) let me provide a real answer.

No cigar is ever going to taste the same after a relight. Depending on how long you are looking to save them, there are some things you can do. If you are wanting to finish it the next day, clip the cherry off of the end, and blow backwards through the cigar to clear all of the old smoke. Leave it open to the air, and when relighting, go slow. this will minimize the funky flavors. It will be a little bit dryer, but after 1 day it won't be a huge difference. There really is no good way to save one longer than that. If you find yourself often only smoking half of a cigar, look into getting a smaller size. The smaller ring gauges use a higher wrapper to filler ration, and the wrapper is the most flavorful leaf. You will likely enjoy the taste of the smaller sizes more without having to worry about saving a dirty butt.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

@Wylaff said:
    On the off chance that this is a real guy (and to prove I'm a better person than you clowns) let me provide a real answer.

No cigar is ever going to taste the same after a relight. Depending on how long you are looking to save them, there are some things you can do. If you are wanting to finish it the next day, clip the cherry off of the end, and blow backwards through the cigar to clear all of the old smoke. Leave it open to the air, and when relighting, go slow. this will minimize the funky flavors. It will be a little bit dryer, but after 1 day it won't be a huge difference. There really is no good way to save one longer than that. If you find yourself often only smoking half of a cigar, look into getting a smaller size. The smaller ring gauges use a higher wrapper to filler ration, and the wrapper is the most flavorful leaf. You will likely enjoy the taste of the smaller sizes more without having to worry about saving a dirty butt.

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before I retired and before the pandemic, I would teach three days a week at our Rocky Mount campus, about a half hour away. I would smoke half a cigar on the way over and half on the way back.

I have a Savor cigar tube for saving cigars. It is a thick walled tube that puts the cigar out right away. I've never left it over night, just during the day while I taught, but I've never had a problem with bitterness or moisture. Maybe snuffing it out immediately does the trick.