Home General Discussion

Traveling to Austin, TX

I will be staying near Zilker Park in Austin, TX the first two weeks of March. There are draconian smoking restrictions in that city. Is there anywhere nearby I can sit outside and have a cigar? Any lounge where I can bring my own smokes?

Comments

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Show some couth man and buy a stick from a lounge! Never bring your own!

Don't look ↑
  • d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well considering you can literally walk down the side walk in Austin smoking a joint and the police don’t give a fvck, I don’t think you’ll have any problems.

“Keep Austin Weird”

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kinda what I thought. Back in the day we'd go to the Armadillo and folks pretty much smoked whatever they wanted to.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    Show some couth man and buy a stick from a lounge! Never bring your own!

Sometimes I've brought my own, but I always buy some, more than what I smoke, as well.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

Me too, without a doubt. This guy is already bringing his own crap before he even knows what cigar bar he's going to. That just tells me that he's trying to do this on the cheap, which tells me he ain't going to buy anything when he's in there.

Don't look ↑
    edited February 2021

Even at the fuente lounge in Vegas, where the cheapest stick is a Corona sized Ashton Connecticut for 18 bucks, I'm still buying something there when I'm going to smoke there, And if I'm in that swank hole, I might as well smoke something swanky. When I met Bryson there a couple of years ago, we both smoked a couple of caldwells that he brought with him. We both bought hundreds of dollars in cigars though.

Sometimes at the local lounge, I'll meet a buddy and bring him something. We'll smoke that together. But we bought something, or at least I bought enough to cover the both of us.

If he is packing his $2 gurkas from cigar bid And then looking for some leather and mahogany, He's going to piss somebody off. Thought I'd help him out with that beforehand!

Don't look ↑
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^Way to stick up for yourself rookie!! 😆

• VisionVision Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    Even at the fuente lounge in Vegas, where the cheapest stick is a Corona sized Ashton Connecticut for 18 bucks, I'm still buying something there when I'm going to smoke there, And if I'm in that swank hole, I might as well smoke something swanky. When I met Bryson there a couple of years ago, we both smoked a couple of caldwells that he brought with him. We both bought hundreds of dollars in cigars though.

Sometimes at the local lounge, I'll meet a buddy and bring him something. We'll smoke that together. But we bought something, or at least I bought enough to cover the both of us.

If he is packing his $2 gurkas from cigar bid And then looking for some leather and mahogany, He's going to piss somebody off. Thought I'd help him out with that beforehand!

I usually buy some HTF and bring some HTF. I’m not there to by Charter Oak and Macanudo.

edited February 2021

Word @vision

Who the fück you callin francis, @wing15601?

😆 😆 😆

Just kidding, young buck. Carry on. I like em when they play hard to get.....

Don't look ↑
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like I will be going to Dallas in March to get 2 of my grandchildren.

I've not seen them in 7 years.
    Trying to figure an itinerary from Dallas to Oregon on a meandering path.
    Thinking Grand Canyon, Virginia City, possibly Disneyland (expensive and might not be worth it). No idea what else there is that might be of interest along the way, but we'll have about 5 days to get from Dallas to Oregon.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope everything's ok Tony. Glad you get to see them again though.

Could go north from Dallas through Sante Fe then through Colorado. Rocky passes may be a bit dicey if you don't mind driving through them, but can't beat that scenery

@TheKraken said:

Could go north from Dallas through Sante Fe then through Colorado. Rocky passes may be a bit dicey if you don't mind driving through them, but can't beat that scenery

Their mother passed away.
    My son never divorced their mom, but Texas Children's services decided that he had to jump through hoops to get his kids back. None of it makes any sense.
    His lawyer almost sat in a cell for calling the children's services lady a B word.
    So, right now, he is in Oklahoma, on his way to Dallas to clear out their mom's house, gather up what he can of the kids' stuff, spend some time with his kids and come home.

If things go well, he gets to pick up his kids next month and the boss lady and I plan on taking a week off, to go with him and then take our time coming home, letting the kids decide where we go. It is nice to have jobs where we can do that.

So if that happens, all 3 of my grandchildren will be here and together and, as my grandfather used to say, the winds will be right again.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a detour, but you could check out Durango, CO and Mesa Verde National Park on your way to the Grand Canyon. I was there a few decades ago.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

@0patience said:

@TheKraken said:

Their mother passed away.
    My son never divorced their mom, but Texas Children's services decided that he had to jump through hoops to get his kids back. None of it makes any sense.
    His lawyer almost sat in a cell for calling the children's services lady a B word.
    So, right now, he is in Oklahoma, on his way to Dallas to clear out their mom's house, gather up what he can of the kids' stuff, spend some time with his kids and come home.

If things go well, he gets to pick up his kids next month and the boss lady and I plan on taking a week off, to go with him and then take our time coming home, letting the kids decide where we go. It is nice to have jobs where we can do that.

So if that happens, all 3 of my grandchildren will be here and together and, as my grandfather used to say, the winds will be right again.

Wow, tough to watch your boy go through that mess. But glad y'all get some time with them. Hope the kids are ok.

@Yakster said:
    It's a detour, but you could check out Durango, CO and Mesa Verde National Park on your way to the Grand Canyon. I was there a few decades ago.

I definitely need to look into that Durango train ride. That could be worth the detour.

@TheKraken said:
    Wow, tough to watch your boy go through that mess. But glad y'all get some time with them. Hope the kids are ok.

The kids are doing pretty well. It is clear that the oldest girl is my grand daughter.
    She has my lack of patience and forthright attitude.
    I told my son he is in for a rude awakening, cause she will take over things and run his house. I have no doubts about that.
    My grandson just rolls with it. I am sure once he gets here, things may be a little difficult for him.
    Oregon ain't Texas, by any long shot. So the culture shock, the rain, the morons and the lack of any real stores is gonna be a bit tough.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another detour worth seeing is Canyon de Chelly (pronounced de Shay) near the four corners area. My child bride and I and a friend took the tour there and crawled around exploring all the cliff dwellings and other scenery we could absorb. It was mind boggling..... 👍🤓

@jlmarta
    I'd like to, but the Navajo nation is restricted right now and it looks like the park is closed. If the restrictions lift, gonna be one we have to look at.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:

@0patience said:
    @jlmarta
    I'd like to, but the Navajo nation is restricted right now and it looks like the park is closed. If the restrictions lift, gonna be one we have to look at.

Why is it restricted? The Covid? That’s too bad. It’s really worth seeing. We couldn’t tour it by ourselves - had to hire a Navajo guide but it was more than worth it.

Also had our first taste of Navajo fry bread and Navajo tacos. Muy bueno... 👍👍

@jlmarta said:

@0patience said:
    @jlmarta

Why is it restricted? The Covid? That’s too bad. It’s really worth seeing. We couldn’t tour it by ourselves - had to hire a Navajo guide but it was more than worth it.

Yum, fry bread. A natives Achilles heal. LOL!

Yeah, the covid has everything locked down there.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:

@0patience said:

@jlmarta said:

@0patience said:
    @jlmarta

Yum, fry bread. A natives Achilles heal. LOL!

Yeah, the covid has everything locked down there.

Bummer..... 😷