Home Cigar 101

RH drop after adding new cigars

kevin1323kevin1323 Posts: 294
I am a n00b and have a question for those with more experience. I have a 100ct humidor that was seasoned properly, and held at 70% rh per a digital hygro for about a month with 18 cigars in it. I received a package of about 30 cigars from ccom last week and after placing them in the humi the rh dropped to 62% steady. I have recharged the humidification device with distilled water and put in two of the humicare pillows in there and after 48 hours it is steady at 63%. Any suggestions on how to get this back to acceptable rh? I am looking for anywhere betwen 65-70%.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Just let them sit and the RH will be back up in a day or two. This will happen almost every time you add a decent amount of cigars. Don't worry about 63% either. Many guys on this board try to keep their stick around this anyway. Also, unless you need a cigar, don't open the humi unless you have to for the next few days. This will obviously help stabilize it.
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Welcome by the way. Stick around!!
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    undulac:
    Just let them sit and the RH will be back up in a day or two. Also, unless you need a cigar, don't open the humi unless you have to for the next few days.
    That's my problem, can't keep it closed. Maybe you need more cigars. Welcome Kevin
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    undulac:
    Just let them sit and the RH will be back up in a day or two. This will happen almost every time you add a decent amount of cigars. Don't worry about 63% either. Many guys on this board try to keep their stick around this anyway. Also, unless you need a cigar, don't open the humi unless you have to for the next few days. This will obviously help stabilize it.
    +1, I also like to keep my cigars between 63-66%...they just seem to smoke better imo
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Just the cigars taking in humidity....once you have the humi filled it will hold RH even better...
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome and the answer is always get more cigars!
  • kevin1323kevin1323 Posts: 294
    Thanks everyone! I can see the rh coming back in the last 24 hours.

Crazy thing is b/c so many of the cigars I added are 60 ring gauge, the humidor is already getting full with only 50ish in there. 20 more are already on the way.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    kevin1323:
    Thanks everyone! I can see the rh coming back in the last 24 hours. Crazy thing is b/c so many of the cigars I added are 60 ring gauge, the humidor is already getting full with only 50ish in there. 20 more are already on the way.
    Welcome! Humidors almost never hold the alleged count given by the manufacturer. If answer number one is more cigars, answer number two is always more storage. Which, of course, leads you right back to answer number one. ;) Enjoy!
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I never sweat lower RH's like was said already, most sticks smoke better at lower RH. I do get concerned when it tries to go over 70. 60--65% is perfect for me.
  • kevin1323kevin1323 Posts: 294
    It has been holding steady at 64% and I am going to see how that works out from a smoking standpoint. I will be smoking right from this humidor, so that may not be a bad thing.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions!
  • jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
    Well, I"m the exact opposite dude. I just got a 300ct humidor, seasoned it and put about 65 cigars in there and the humidity is too high! It's sitting at 74% but I have 10 Gurhka Titans on the way and will pick up some more in a few weeks. I want at least 150-200 in there and I'll be working on that as the weeks come :)
  • majiq6majiq6 Posts: 1

From what I have learned is that cigars are not always stored consistently or properly at the store or even when shipped.

I have got in the habit of resting my new cigars. I store my new cigars in a Zip Lock/Tupperware/Boveda bag with a 72% pad for at least two weeks before placing them in my humidor. I do this to ensure that they are at good humidity and not dry. I have smoked cigars that I recently purchased and experienced bad burns. Also as pointed out adding new cigars take in moisture and lower your RH level.

Just my 2 Cents!!!

• d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

First post necro? Stop by the Newb Welcome Thread and say hi.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@majiq6 said:
    From what I have learned is that cigars are not always stored consistently or properly at the store or even when shipped.

I have got in the habit of resting my new cigars. I store my new cigars in a Zip Lock/Tupperware/Boveda bag with a 72% pad for at least two weeks before placing them in my humidor. I do this to ensure that they are at good humidity and not dry. I have smoked cigars that I recently purchased and experienced bad burns. Also as pointed out adding new cigars take in moisture and lower your RH level.

Just my 2 Cents!!!

Ya hear that Kevin? You finally got your answer bro!

Don't look ↑
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kevin1323 has stepped away for a moment but will be right back.

Thank you for your patience.

• TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost 10 years later after a Necromantic ritual @majiq6 raises Kevin from the dead to give him his answer.

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.