Home General Discussion
Options

Help me choose

Comments

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jrfoxx2 said:

@peter4jc said:
    We have high standards here @Jrfoxx2... We only want people who can make up their own minds on what to smoke and don't rely on a bunch of strangers to pick out their cigars for them. And we sincerely regret you failed to hit that high bar, and wish you all the best in your future endeavors of finding an online community that will welcome you.

I could have decided myself just fine. Was simply trying to post something a little different from the usual things that get posted everywhere over and over.
    Have had good responses on other forums with this, and thought you all might enjoy something a little different.

Well now you know. That kind of self-aggrandizement doesn't really do much for us over here. Don't know if you noticed or not, but we have four main cigar smoking threads: morning, afternoon, evening, and "smoke a good one from..." We typically post pictures of what we're smoking, unless our name is Edward or Dave.

I only tell you this because sometimes adopting the norm of an established group is a little easier than trying to create a different norm as a new person.

To say it another way, know your audience, lol.

I hope you stick around, since your panties are not in a twist and your rear end is not hurting! Hope you post pictures of what you're smoking also!

Cheers and happy Sunday!

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    Jrfoxx2Jrfoxx2 Posts: 31 ✭✭✭

My apologies for posting something a little different that has gotten nothing but good responses elsewhere.

Hadn't seen the threads you mention. They are a bit far down on the page, so hadn't seen them. Also, hadn't smoked anything yet yesterday, as evidenced by my topic.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I have the best questions"

But he did in fact post a pic today in Whatcha Smoking This Morning, so we may have won him over. yay.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

@peter4jc said:
    "I have the best questions"

Made me laugh. You have genius wit Peter. I'm stealing that line and editing my meme.

• Options
    edited February 2021

@Jrfoxx2 said:
    My apologies for posting something a little different that has gotten nothing but good responses elsewhere.

Hadn't seen the threads you mention. They are a bit far down on the page, so hadn't seen them. Also, hadn't smoked anything yet yesterday, as evidenced by my topic.

Sssssssswwwwiiinnnggg....and a miss!

Going through the time stamps of all of the posts yesterday, I was able to determine that what are you smoking this morning thread was the very first threat in this topic other than the pinned threads. Nice try!

Forum forensics aside, your response sort of proves my point. You didn't look for two seconds about what actually is going on over here. You thought you would instead grace us with what you thought was some sort of newly invented idea about what would make a cigar forum interesting.

So while you can point to ostensible evidence about how posting screenshots of an online humidor should have been received better, the fact remains that this thread did not play well at this place. One reason for that is because most of the guys here have collections that span thousands or tens of thousands of sticks. Most of us don't keep electronic inventories because we can't actually keep up with that sort of process between buying them and entering them to smoking them and deleting them. Plus I think that most of the guys will tell you that it's somewhat pleasant to find a hidden gem in their collection that they forgot about.

No matter, you do you brother.

But you have to understand that when an individual acts in a way that is contrary to the established norms of the group dynamic, the message is often misinterpreted and almost always ineffective. Likewise, If a bunch of old curmudgeons from this place logged on to the cigar cartel Facebook group and started acting the way they do here, they may also get a similar lesson. This isn't something that we invented here at the cigar.com forum. It's true of every single group of people in the history of groups of people. This is day one of COM 101 at any 4-year or community college. I know that because I teach it in my COM classes.

Now that we got that out of the way, what are you going to smoke this morning, Michigan? Please don't ask us to decide 😆.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

@VegasFrank said:

@Jrfoxx2 said:

Sssssssswwwwiiinnnggg....and a miss!

Going through the time stamps of all of the posts yesterday, I was able to determine that what are you smoking this morning thread was the very first threat in this topic other than the pinned threads. Nice try!

Forum forensics aside, your response sort of proves my point. You didn't look for two seconds about what actually is going on over here. You thought you would instead grace us with what you thought was some sort of newly invented idea about what would make a cigar forum interesting.

So while you can point to ostensible evidence about how posting screenshots of an online humidor should have been received better, the fact remains that this thread did not play well at this place. One reason for that is because most of the guys here have collections that span thousands or tens of thousands of sticks. Most of us don't keep electronic inventories because we can't actually keep up with that sort of process between buying them and entering them to smoking them and deleting them. Plus I think that most of the guys will tell you that it's somewhat pleasant to find a hidden gem in their collection that they forgot about.

No matter, you do you brother.

But you have to understand that when an individual acts in a way that is contrary to the established norms of the group dynamic, the message is often misinterpreted and almost always ineffective. Likewise, If a bunch of old curmudgeons from this place logged on to the cigar cartel Facebook group and started acting the way they do here, they may also get a similar lesson. This isn't something that we invented here at the cigar.com forum. It's true of every single group of people in the history of groups of people. This is day one of COM 101 at any 4-year or community college. I know that because I teach it in my COM classes.

Now that we got that out of the way, what are you going to smoke this morning, Michigan? Please don't ask us to decide 😆.

Jusus, people mention needing thick skin here and yet the majority of the responses to this topic are people **** and being butthurt.
    It was a simple post, and uf you don't like it, simply skip it and read another. Not that difficult. I skip lots of topics on the several forums I belong to all the time.
    I fail to see the need to post the various things that were posted in this topic.
    Nowhere else have I ever gotten even a Single negative reaction to anything i have ever said.

• Options

@Jrfoxx2 said:

It was a simple post, and uf you don't like it, simply skip it and read another.

• Options

@Jrfoxx2 said:
    I fail to see the need to post the various things that were posted in this topic.

I failed to see the need for this topic in the first place lol!

Nowhere else have I ever gotten even a Single negative reaction to anything i have ever said.

That's just because you are so awesome....

Don't look ↑
  • Options

@VegasFrank said:

@Jrfoxx2 said:

So simply skip it. Not that difficult

Apparently so.
    Or maybe their forum culture is just kinder.
    Some people have even gifted me some very generous cigars and trade with me on occasion gasp

• Options

@Jrfoxx2 said:

>
    ^^^^^^^ This. I absolutely LOVE that you keep saying this!

Thank you! Sincerely,....... Thank you!
    >

• Options

@Jrfoxx2 said:

@VegasFrank said:

@Jrfoxx2 said:

So simply skip it. Not that difficult

Apparently so.
    Or maybe their forum culture is just kinder.
    Some people have even gifted me some very generous cigars and trade with me on occasion gasp

😱

Did you hear that, guys? They give each other...

Gifts!

Why didn't we think of that?

Don't look ↑
  • Options

(He will soon realize that I'm the guy on the forum that never lets **** go, sorta like frozen hamburger patties, right @Usaf06?)

Here Michigan, let me be the first to offer you a forum gift....

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

We are bullies because we made you feel bad, and that makes you automatically a better person , and a victim.

Well, maybe. But this forum is where people talk about things that are interesting. If you have cigars , just smoke them , and if you think something is interesting about that experience ... then post that . I am sure that will be better received.

Being forthright about an actual experience tends to get sometimes meaningful and insightful dialogue with experienced forum members.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frank is a beef snob. People tell on themselves.

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

That’s my disagree, because I disagree. Frozen patties have a special place where they belong. That place is not being served to my friends and family.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options

To the OP, relax, grab a cigar and enjoy it. Jump on the vherf and you will understand us better.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    Significant3Significant3 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have had good responses on other forums with this, and thought you all might enjoy something a little different.

Well, we are definitely a little different around here.

• Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Patrickbrick said:
    That’s my disagree, because I disagree. Frozen patties have a special place where they belong. That place is not being served to my friends and family.

Frozen burgers are for the snack shack at little ball fields and no where else.
    @Jrfoxx2 don't worry about Frank he is harmless he gives everyone **** whether you are a newb or longtime member. He is still just pissed off because @Scotch_n_Smoke left the forum last year. You just gotta give it back to him.
    Jump on the Vherf with a cigar of choice and get to know the solid botl.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Patrickbrick said:

Stop discriminating, not all frozen beef patties are created equal. There are some good sirloin ones that cook up quite well. The majority are crap but there are some good tasting ones made of chunk meat.

• Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭✭✭

I grew up in a very frugal and lower than average income household and I never knew people didn't always make hamburger patties out of fresh ground beef.

• Options

My grinder and I will continue to do what we do, and I will leave the freezer section alone.

MOW badge received.