Home General Discussion

69% Boveda packs holding humidity @ 78%

raidermikeraidermike Posts: 276 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I'm using on one (1) 60gr., 69% Boveda pack in an acrylic humidor (holing about 22 sticks) but the digital reading shows 78% humidity? Should I be concerned about this? (Temp is at 65*) Ambient humidity around 40% here in the Denver area currently.

Things are about to get interesting...

Comments

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup . . . Did you calibrate your hygrometer? Put it in a ziplock with your Boveda for a day or two and see what it reads.

• TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bro, you'll be cooL.... 22 sticks. You'LL smoke dem before yo got'z a problem....Sheesh.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

While that ^ is true, you might as well build good habits. That way, when you buy a 4000 count tower, you'll know what to do when you run into problems.

78 is too high. Mold and bug risk, though prolly not bugs at 65 degrees. Follow Sherm's advice. Your sticks probably shipped very wet, which will cause the problem. The boveda is 2 way and will eventually soak up the extra juice.

In the meantime, 78 is not a problem while you verify your hygrometers accuracy. It won't ruin them, but you may want to dry box any of those before you smoke them to improve performance. When you smoke a cigar at 78 percent, just put it on the counter in the open air for an hour without the cello, then you'll be fine.

Don't look ↑
  • raidermikeraidermike Posts: 276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the advise. I'll check the hydrometer (putting into a ziploc w/a boveda for a day or so) and calibrate it if necessary.

Like @VegasFrank thought, the pacs are doing their (two-way) job. The humidity is already coming down... whew!
    Reading 70% as I type.

These are my "special" occasion sticks (Opus X, Black Diamond Emerald, Padron No. 200, etc.) that I want to keep perfect 'till that time comes!

Nobody, especially my wife, wants my modest investment to go up in mold! haha

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's the rh in the jar without the boveda in it?

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

@ShawnOL said:
    What's the rh in the jar without the boveda in it?

I'll check and let you know.

Oh, BTW, the hydrometer seems to be spot on. I know it was only for a short time but it was a smaller ziploc bag. Imma believer.

@Patrickbrick said:
    Do what I did years ago and throw the hygrometers away. Trust the boveda.

I just can't bring myself to do that. The hydrometer tells me my stogies are happy. It's like my cigars are speaking to me through the digital hydrometers!
    "We're so happy in here RaiderMike..." Haha

Okay, Imma dork... :#

• VisionVision Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

@raidermike said:

@Patrickbrick said:
    Do what I did years ago and throw the hygrometers away. Trust the boveda.

I just can't bring myself to do that. The hydrometer tells me my stogies are happy. It's like my cigars are speaking to me through the digital hydrometers!
    "We're so happy in here RaiderMike..." Haha

Okay, Imma dork... :#

Until you run across a Hygro that’s junk and you’re chasing ghosts to fix a non-problem. I have 7 storage devices and two hygrometers. One is stuck to a drawer in the wineador and the other I use to check seasoning right before I put in the Boveda. @Patrickbrick is right (I’ll deny I said that) Boveda needs no hygrometer. They will tell you when to replace when they get a little thin.

• TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably already been said but you can't put too many Bovedas in if you're nervous. Since they are 2 way humidity, they will just last longer