Home General Discussion

Cuban RE's and LE's

Jrfoxx2Jrfoxx2 Posts: 31 ✭✭✭

So, looking for opinions on Cuban RE's and LE's.
Have never tried one due to the very high prices, but will be having some extra money in my cigar budget in a couple months and am curious what others think of them in general.
Are they typically worth the high price, or are they basically just a marketing gimmick?

Thanks in advance for the thoughts,
Sean

Answers

• MickeyD_1MickeyD_1 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

RE & LE? Still a bit slow this Sunday morning, need more coffee. Clue me in please.

• Jrfoxx2Jrfoxx2 Posts: 31 ✭✭✭

Sorry.
    Regional editions and limited editions.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

• NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve had a few regionals in the past which have been great sticks. IMO the stuff the boutique brands are putting out these days is better and at a better price range. Any Cuban you purchase now should be purchased with the intent of aging for several years.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

@NorCalR1 said:
    I’ve had a few regionals in the past which have been great sticks. IMO the stuff the boutique brands are putting out these days is better and at a better price range. Any Cuban you purchase now should be purchased with the intent of aging for several years.

The majority of the cigars from my vendor are 2019 fortunately, as I have neither the humidor space nor the budget to do much aging myself.

The RE's I'm looking at are Diplomaticos and Sancho Panza Belgian RE's, which were released in 2018, so again fortunately they already have a little age.

• EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

Usually the regional editions are a larger ring gauge , which helps in the tight draw department, and most but not all of them are super expensive (Spain release has a LGC which isn’t too crazy)...

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jrfoxx2 said:

@NorCalR1 said:

The majority of the cigars from my vendor are 2019 fortunately, as I have neither the humidor space nor the budget to do much aging myself.

The RE's I'm looking at are Diplomaticos and Sancho Panza Belgian RE's, which were released in 2018, so again fortunately they already have a little age.

They need more age than that. Plus, after they ship, they have to sit for a long time because the shipping apparently throws them for a loop too, in my experience. Very temperamental.

I'd rather spend 20+ bucks on a padron family reserve that will be awesome, draw perfectly, and will already have the 5 years of age on it before it hits the shelf.

Don't look ↑

@VegasFrank said:

@Jrfoxx2 said:

@NorCalR1 said:

They need more age than that. Plus, after they ship, they have to sit for a long time because the shipping apparently throws them for a loop too, in my experience. Very temperamental.

>
    I know the common wisdom is to give all Cigars a resting period, which I do, but have smoked many right away and personally could never tell the difference from ones I let rest for months.
    May depend a lot on how they were packaged for shipping.
    My regular vendor vacuum seals everything, so that may be why I can't taste any difference

Really needs rest for a minimum of a year, likely 2-3, most prefer longer.
    Cuba doesn’t have the infrastructure to really age cigars (with the exception of the very pricey anejados) so cigars are rolled and boxed within the typical “sick period” where most domestically available cigars are aged at the manufacturer for 3-6 months prior to being available to the public.

Beyond the sick period, age helps with flavor and burn issues.

edited February 2021

@Jrfoxx2 said:

@VegasFrank said:

@Jrfoxx2 said:

@NorCalR1 said:

>
    I know the common wisdom is to give all Cigars a resting period, which I do, but have smoked many right away and personally could never tell the difference from ones I let rest for months.
    My regular vendor vacuum seals everything, so that may be why I can't taste any difference

If it draws, it draws brother. I don't know how you vacuum pack a cigar since it's 20% air. Wouldn't that crush it?

Don't look ↑

@VegasFrank said:

@Jrfoxx2 said:

@VegasFrank said:

@Jrfoxx2 said:

@NorCalR1 said:

>

If it draws, it draws brother. I don't know how you vacuum pack a cigar since it's 20% air. Wouldn't that crush it?

They just don't suck all of the air out, they leave a slight pocket around everything so they don't get squished.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jrfoxx2 said:

@VegasFrank said:

@Jrfoxx2 said:

@NorCalR1 said:

>
    My regular dealer vacuum seals everything, so that may be why I can't taste any difference

Have you been tested for Covid? Loss of taste, you know...

Really, you should look for an ATF or TSA forum, those guys smoke Cubans all the time. Above the law, you know. Maybe a Congressperson, Corey Booker or someone like that could help with your Cuban questions. Just a thought.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@Jrfoxx2 said:

@VegasFrank said:

@Jrfoxx2 said:

@NorCalR1 said:

>
    My regular dealer vacuum seals everything, so that may be why I can't taste any difference

Really, you should look for an ATF or TSA forum, those guys smoke Cubans all the time. Above the law, you know. Maybe a Congressperson, Corey Booker or someone like that could help with your Cuban questions. Just a thought.

Well I was informed in another thread that "many,many" members here have Cubans and some have "thousands or tens of thousands " of them.

If you don't like my thread then simply post elsewhere instead of **** in my thread for no reason

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jrfoxx2 said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@Jrfoxx2 said:

@VegasFrank said:

@Jrfoxx2 said:

@NorCalR1 said:

>

Well I was informed in another thread that "many,many" members here have Cigars and some have "thousands or tens of thousands " of them.

If you don't like my thread then simply post elsewhere instead of **** in my thread for no reason

FIFY

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

People love to **** on threads. Soft threads are great for harda$$es

I don’t buy CC’s as you can no longer do that. But over the years I’ve been gifted from friends who live in areas where it is legal. All in all I think the options that are available for non CC make it to where I don’t think much about my CC’s. And @Jrfoxx2 when I was taking about aging I was thinking 5yrs at minimum. Most of us of sticks we have forgotten about due to our storage situations. The other day I found a pack of original L&F Pepper Cream Soda I forgot I had..

@peter4jc said:
    ^^they were lost and you found them?

Lol yes buried at the bottom of a cooler below a box of Ave Maria perfectos! I was digging around for smokes to bring to WI next month.

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NorCalR1 said:
    I don’t buy CC’s as you can no longer do that. But over the years I’ve been gifted from friends who live in areas where it is legal. All in all I think the options that are available for non CC make it to where I don’t think much about my CC’s. And @Jrfoxx2 when I was taking about aging I was thinking 5yrs at minimum. Most of us of sticks we have forgotten about due to our storage situations. The other day I found a pack of original L&F Pepper Cream Soda I forgot I had..

What!!!!!!

@Vision said:

@NorCalR1 said:

What!!!!!!

Yes sir complete unopened pack.

@NorCalR1 said:

@peter4jc said:
    ^^they were lost and you found them?

Lol yes buried at the bottom of a cooler below a box of Ave Maria perfectos! I was digging around for smokes to bring to WI next month.

That's what Matt booth does too.

Don't look ↑

@Jrfoxx2 said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@Jrfoxx2 said:

@VegasFrank said:

@Jrfoxx2 said:

@NorCalR1 said:

>

Well I was informed in another thread that "many,many" members here have Cubans and some have "thousands or tens of thousands " of them.

Hey my man. I’m not sure this is going well for you. Might be an easier time resurrecting the Titanic then fixing this mess. You might want to try a different path. Some have tried to offer you advice but it seems you don’t want it. It’s cool to have a handful of Cubans. But it seems you want to flaunt that handful. Most members here have collections of 500, 1000, 2000+ cigars. Sure, maybe not all Cubans, maybe not even close. But that’s our choice. I recommend youfind a forum that will help you choose your daily smoke and faun over the Cuban cigar industry

They are just cigars. We all have a love of cigars. Enjoy what you enjoy. That’s really it.

@NorCalR1 said:

@Vision said:

@NorCalR1 said:

What!!!!!!

Yes sir complete unopened pack.

5er or 10?