Home Cigar 101

humidor conversion, what to use to close gaps

Hi guys, I purchased an antique dry bar to convert into a humidor cabinet. I've lined the entire box with spanish cedar veneer, now how to close the gaps in the doors and a drop down shelf. I applied felt weather stripping to the gaps in the shelf, it now passes the dollar bill test. wondering if felt will cause problems re mold, etc. Can build up surfaces with layers of veneer but awfully tired of the glue, clamp and wait routine. Any thoughts?

Comments

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frank said it best, food grade silicone.

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can get the food grade silicone from Amazon or Walmart. Comes in clear or black. I used it in the corners before the veneer so you couldn’t see it.

• 536_Madbchbum536_Madbchbum Posts: 5

Got the silicone already, will use to seal any problem joints, etc. The gaps I'm referring to are created by moving parts (doors and drop down shelf). Not areas I'm looking to seal shut, more like the lid on a typical box humi. Thanks for the feedback.

• d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

You might try a thin layer of silicone cover with Sarah wrap, then close it. I can't remember is it sticks to the wrap.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

Some nuggets from past threads. Do a google search using the expression "site:forum.google.com humidor build" to find more.

https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/102165/building-a-humidor

https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/896695/converting-antique-china-cabinet-into-humidor

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

That's some good stuff ^ right there.

Yeah if you're talking about sealing around doors and lids and such, then the weather stripping is the way to go. I get the black stuff in the thinnest gauge I can buy and it does the trick.

Don't look ↑
  • 536_Madbchbum536_Madbchbum Posts: 5

Thanks again for all the input, gonna give the felt stripping a try, can always change it out if I'm not satisfied. At the point of sealing gaps and such, have a humidifier and a coupla Sensor Push hygrometers to install. Keeping my fingers crossed, will let you all know how it turns out.