Home General Discussion

🎶 It's a family tradition! 🎶

MrShrekMrShrek Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

While digging through the past as Mrs. Shrek and I were working on some family genealogy, she came across this photo of my great great grandfather James Bowron Jr smoking a cigar.

Nice to know I am not the only one of my bloodline that enjoys cigars. It did pose the question that I thought we may find interesting.

Did this fine hobby get passed down to you from a family member or did you pick it up another way?

Comments

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

My pops started me down this road.

• Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

My dad's father. Always had a stick going when we went fishing; White Owls if memory serves. He quit in the mid 1970's I think & died in 1997.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

An elderly friend of the family and then my stepfather's best friend smoked cigars when I was growing up. No relatives, though.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my uncles always had a smoke hanging out of his mouth. King Edwards

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

I take after Cannon and Colombo, my parents quit when we were young, but my dad did smoke a pipe and maybe the odd cigar.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

My dad smoked cigarettes, and I think I saw him smoke a cigar once. But I was always interested in cigars... more with the celebration of the experience

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    I take after Cannon and Colombo, my parents quit when we were young, but my dad did smoke a pipe and maybe the odd cigar.

Odd as in Gurkha?

• CtheHamCtheHam Posts: 205 ✭✭✭✭

I used to smoke cigarettes years ago. A buddy suggested I try Backwoods cigars (this was about 15 years ago.) I enjoyed them for what they were. Later on I had a few other gas station cigars. Again I liked them, but thought they could be better. I think the first premium cigar I smoked was a Romeo E Julieta and was intrigued. I had a few cigars off and on until just the last couple years when I have decided to burn all my extra money.

• d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dad smoked a pipe. Cigars I just decided I'd try a few.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

My grandfather. Although he smoked these Italian cigars with three bends in different directions and smelled like someone peed on a hot radiator.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YankeeMan said:
    My grandfather. Although he smoked these Italian cigars with three bends in different directions and smelled like someone peed on a hot radiator.

Tuscano!

Don't look ↑
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

My maternal grandfather smoked a gar and sipped espresso while reading Emerson on the verandah.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not even going to touch this one😂😱😈

• Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

My step mothers father smoked cigars
    Who got me started though, was my late friend George.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • raidermikeraidermike Posts: 276 ✭✭✭✭✭

My brother gave me one the night before my wedding. I really enjoyed it. Now I'm hooked!

Things are about to get interesting...

@Rhamlin said:

Nobody caught this? Well I thought it was funny 😄
    Guess it’s the redneck in me.

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

My dad smoked cigars my entire childhood. I remember being 10 or 11, and I gut-shot a rabbit while we were hunting. The smell was absolutely revolting while trying to clean it, and he gave me my first stick to help cover the smell.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...

@Rhamlin said:

@Rhamlin said:

Nobody caught this? Well I thought it was funny 😄
    Guess it’s the redneck in me.

Would someone explain this to a transplanted Yankee who's not too bright.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^ Some say there's a "family tradition" in states like WV and AR where they keep things "close to home" and our favorite woodtick, Ricky, (obviously speaking from experience) saw the title and assumed something different than the rest of us.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does this have anything to do with being raised in the family bed?

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

Are saying that you can walk across the gene pool without getting your sneakers wet?

@peter4jc said:
    ^^^ Some say there's a "family tradition" in states like WV and AR where they keep things "close to home" and our favorite woodtick, Ricky, (obviously speaking from experience) saw the title and assumed something different than the rest of us.

😇

@YankeeMan said:
    I always wondered, if you get divorced in WV, is she still your sister?

Better yet if your parents get divorced does your mom still stay your sister 😱