Home General Discussion

Re hydrating Heartfelt beads

I have a Whynter 251s and three tupperware humidors. I use Heartfelt 65% beads only. I have two one cup bowls holding about 1/4 lb each in the bottom of the Whynter and 4 large tubes in the drawers. I have smaller tubes in the tupperware. When humidity starts to drop I spray distilled water into the bowls and onto the tubes. It’s hard to tell when the tubes need water but the beads in the bowls turn all white pretty quickly. Anyway, when I respray the tubes the humidity spikes from 72 to 74% Because I cant tell how much water the tubes need. If I could figure out how much water to add I would use all tubes but it’s hard to get the water into the inside of the tube. Also, the humidity is always higher at the top of the Whynter than the bottom.

Comments

• CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

(We have all told you repeatedly to use Boveda, no one has any answers about these beads because we almost all use Boveda. Use Boveda.)

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

@wing15601 said:
    I have a Whynter 251s and three tupperware humidors. I use Heartfelt 65% beads only. I have two one cup bowls holding about 1/4 lb each in the bottom of the Whynter and 4 large tubes in the drawers. I have smaller tubes in the tupperware. When humidity starts to drop I spray distilled water into the bowls and onto the tubes. It’s hard to tell when the tubes need water but the beads in the bowls turn all white pretty quickly. Anyway, when I respray the tubes the humidity spikes from 72 to 74% Because I cant tell how much water the tubes need. If I could figure out how much water to add I would use all tubes but it’s hard to get the water into the inside of the tube. Also, the humidity is always higher at the top of the Whynter than the bottom.

What you need is a time machine. Lots of forum guys here used beads 10 years ago. OK, I just googled the heartfelt beads website. Are your tubes sealed where you can't open them? I'm assuming they are not sealed because they sell empty tubes and expect you to fill the empty tubes with separately purchased beads. So, maybe you could open up the tubes and pour the beads out on a paper plate and spritz them in the exact same manner as your bowls. Then put the beads back in the tubes. Same spritz method. Should give you similar results with less spike.

If this advice is helpful,..... the cigars I'm sure to like are Crowned Heads, Dunbarton, and My Father.

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some tubes of beads i still use. I just hold a spray bottle close to the tube and spray through the beads. I then take a paper towel and dry off excess water.

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• VisionVision Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tossed 1lb during my move..... also helped that I switched to Boveda

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still run some KL. If I spritz it, the humidity stays at 68. If I soak it then it jumps to 70/71.

• wing15601wing15601 Posts: 19
    edited March 2021

Stubble, I don’t rehydrate until RH drops to lower than 62%.

• StubbleStubble Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is not what you wrote.

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • wing15601wing15601 Posts: 19

Yeah, Stubble, you’re right. Sorry for not being more clear.