Home General Discussion

The Poison Apple

MrShrekMrShrek Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2021 in General Discussion

Well folks we've decided to remodel the workshop into "The Poison Apple"! (If you know the Shrek movies than you will get the reference) I thought it might be fun to start a build thread on it so you can ride along on this adventure. So without further ado, let's get to work.

Here is what we are starting out with. A prefab 10'×20' shed.

Now it's quite full as you can see with tools, camping gear and other junk.

Where is all that crap going to go you may ask. Well as some of you will remember my water heater fiasco has now left me with over 500 sqft of garage space. So I am getting an upgrade in shop space as well.

Step one is to get the shed cleared out and storage built for everything in the garage. I am going to reuse the lumber from the lofts and shelving when I take them down. Here is a shot of half the stuff cleared out and where I am today after dismantling the first loft and shelves.

I'll keep y'all updated as progress continues.

Comments

• EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s awesome ! I am getting ideas...

• Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d leave ‘em! Workbench would turn into a very nice sideboard bar & the loft will hold air handling gear hidden behind a T&G facade. Perhaps with a moose head hangin off it....

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, just sleep in your overstuffed herf chair.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • MrShrekMrShrek Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

Got the workbench removed this afternoon. Toyed with the idea of keeping the loft and making it large enough for a queen size mattress, but it would interfere with the ventilation I planned on running and end up smelling so much like smoke nobody would want to sleep in it. Then again I could be wrong. What do y'all think?

Post edited by MrShrek on
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it would be good for storage of things you don't use too often. Oh, and I like where you keep the first aid kit, lol.

• Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

Mount the blower on the loft deck on vibe isolator mounts and run your intake ducting along the rafter cross ties on foam saddles to isolate any vibration. Run the exhaust duct on a 45 up to that vent. Close off the loft, leaving a hatch for access, put foam underneath the decking, skin the lower side and you’ll never hear it. Outta sight storage. Or mount the industrial sized humidifier up there for the 4x6 walk in humi you’re gonna build in the corner.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think a mattress up there would smell like an ashtray pretty quick.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrShrek said:
    Spent some time today doing a scaled floorplan for the room. Starting from the left I'll have a built in bar and entertainment center with plenty of storage for AV equipment, board games and booze. Along with a smart tv. (Not sure what size yet).

LG OLED77GXPUA 77" GX 4K Smart OLED TV w/ AI ThinQ (2020 Model)

On sale for only $3797 $5,999.99

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

@peter4jc said:

@MrShrek said:
    Spent some time today doing a scaled floorplan for the room. Starting from the left I'll have a built in bar and entertainment center with plenty of storage for AV equipment, board games and booze. Along with a smart tv. (Not sure what size yet).

LG OLED77GXPUA 77" GX 4K Smart OLED TV w/ AI ThinQ (2020 Model)

On sale for only $3797 $5,999.99

I’ve installed about 11-12 of those 77s Exceptional TV. Wire management can be a pain in the arse as it’s designed to have the wires exposed but it is straight baller. Built in hidden wall mount is pretty straight forward.

Edit. I was shockingly surprised by this years Samsung lineup. The Q9 series is really nice. The Q7 is shockingly slim and performs quite well.

Well ladies and gents as I look forward to fall and winter on the horizon, I am knocking the dust off of this project in hopes it will be ready come winter. In the planning of the electrical now I am trying to figure out a solid course of action for the HVAC. Let's break that down a bit so we can get to where I am seeking advice from you fine folks.

Heat: Currently being handled by one of these.

Being rated at a little over 5100 btu it is more than enough for an insulated 200 sqft room. Only down side of it is that it takes up floor space. I could upgrade my AC unit to one that includes heat, but that would mean ripping out the one I already have invested in, cutting out a larger opening and reframing for the new unit. With all that in mind I think I will stick with my current investment of $150 for the heating and air.

AC: Currently being handled by one of these.

Again at over 8k btu it's more than sufficient for this size space.

Now on to the true matter in question...ventilation!

Typically I only expect there to be a couple of people smoking in there at a time, but would like to plan a ventilation system to handle up to 8 guests at one time.

I have been considering the Rabbit Air MinusA2 that is rated for over 800 sqft.

As I am not sure it can handle the smoke from that many people at one time. Also at over $550 though I feel like there has got to be a more economical solution that won't just suck all the heat or cool air out at the same time.

So throw your suggestions and ideas my way as to what you would do for proper ventilation.

edited August 2021

looks like that air cleaner has good reviews. What is the warranty/maintenance on it?
    edit, oh, and a ceiling fan could be useful to circulate the air

@silvermouse said:
    What is the warranty/maintenance on it?

5 year warranty and maintenance is swapping the filters every 12 months ($85+ shipping)

edited August 2021

maybe one of these, a dryer vent mounted high up (smoke rise). I use one when brazing at the workbench to exhaust torch fumes: 100 cfm max. is not much draw and the speed controller works fine.

oh yeah, the link:
    https://www.amazon.com/iPower-Booster-Variable-Controller-Adjuster/dp/B084WRCKM1/

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

I owned one of those Oil Filled when I had a leak in my baseboard heater. Thing gets the Fvcking job done!

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have one of those heaters too. We used it in the winter with the old heat pump when temps get below thirty to help out. Should work well for you.

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used the same oil filled heater in my smoking room. I liked it

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know of a good way to suck out the smoke and not take the conditioned air with it. Maybe the Rabbit Air along with a less-than-full-blast exhaust fan? My guess is the Rabbit Air does great with odors, and not so great with eliminating all the smoke. But in conjunction with a fan that is sized smaller than it would have to be if a fan was the only solution, I think a Rabbit Air could work. I've always wanted one but that price... I saw a used one online for a great price but it was gone before I could get to it.

They make air-to-air heat exchangers for houses that are so tight that they trap indoor pollutants, etc, and other than the cost I think that would be an ideal solution. They suck air in and exhaust air out and the incoming air is heated or cooled by the outgoing air.

I love my portable a/c unit in the smoking room; the heat removed from the air in the room is exhausted out of a window and it's strong enough that it removes the smoke too. The only drawback is losing some floor space.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can set up an exhaust fan to clear out some of the smoke when it builds up. Maybe set it up at the peak with a couple vents across the ridge. Turn it on for a couple minutes to clear out the smoke. You will lose some heat/AC, but it should recover quickly. If its a smoking den, you can not expect it to be totally smoke free

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Trykflyr_1 said:
    Mount the blower on the loft deck on vibe isolator mounts and run your intake ducting along the rafter cross ties on foam saddles to isolate any vibration. Run the exhaust duct on a 45 up to that vent. Close off the loft, leaving a hatch for access, put foam underneath the decking, skin the lower side and you’ll never hear it. Outta sight storage. Or mount the industrial sized humidifier up there for the 4x6 walk in humi you’re gonna build in the corner.

Judging by how my detached garage heats up in the summer, mostly from the roof being heated during the day, I would reconsider closing off the loft and insulating the loft floor. Like Paul said.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.